Using Abaddon the Despoiler? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-18-10, 03:28 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWaffles View Post
He is currently being used to hold down papers.

Sometimes he can't even do this job correctly.
A 1/6th of the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Lord_Skoll View Post
A 1/6th of the time?
Every sixth time I open the door to my office he just drops every paper that was under him. I can't believe I paid 275 points for this when Archaeon holds down his papers ALL the time!

I keep forgetting how hilarious my old posts are.

It's not a question of who will let me, it's a question of who will stop me.
You fight for nothing! You are nothing!
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 06:36 AM

Nyustukyi's Flag is: USA

The only time I have ever heard of Abbadon being used correctly, he always has a Termy body guard, or Zerker Squad at the least.

Personally I would jus tlove to run him with 4 MoK Termies with LC. Just to see how scary that would be. Even though that is like a 1000 pts squad. Lol

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-19-10, 01:13 PM

I liked to DS him WITH oblits that way you can land those short range shots with out bieng afraid of getting charged

so they are forced to either ignore them (or shoot them alot wich helps the rest of the army) or charging abbadon + 3 power fists

also abby can always split off from the group if the enemies are near
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 09:49 PM

PROxASSASSINx's Flag is: Canada

I am a Tau player and I don't consider Abbadon to be a threat no matter how you decide to field him. Whether he Deep Strikes in or is placed in a land raider I consider him to be a major waste of points for any Chaos player. Abbadon has 4 wounds and a 4+ invol. save, so on average it would take only 8 rail gun shots to finish him off. It costs roughly 660 points to field 9 Broadside battle suits who each have twin-linked railguns and twin linked plasma rifles. Both of which penetrate his armour and will have a 50% chance of causing a wound. (Due to his invol. save which was previously mentioned) To field Abby, a land raider and 3-4 terminators it costs about 650 points. For virtually the same number of points a Tau player can destroy any Abbadon combination with relative ease. Conclusion being, don't try to use Abbadon against any semi-competent Tau player or you will lose horribly.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-21-12, 11:17 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

I am glad that tau have such an easy time killing everything then. Except for the fact that you are fielding units of models that cam be easily avoided by any good player. Terrain should deny two out of three units a clear line of sight, and any shooting wounds can be allocated to Abaddon's bodyguard unit. Maybe if you play someone who is retarded enough to field Abaddon on his own you can kill him, but he should be in combat before his bodyguard is dead. And face it, if tau are in combat, they lose. Dont be so quick to assume your plan will work against every chaos player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-12, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Yikes this is an old thread lol! I'm actually going to give you rep for posting on it because it showed you actually bothered to search the forum rather than starting up a thread that has been discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
Maybe if you play someone who is retarded enough to field Abaddon on his own you can kill him, but he should be in combat before his bodyguard is dead. And face it, if tau are in combat, they lose. Dont be so quick to assume your plan will work against every chaos player.
McMuffin pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROxASSASSINx View Post
To field Abby, a land raider and 3-4 terminators it costs about 650 points. For virtually the same number of points a Tau player can destroy any Abbadon combination with relative ease. Conclusion being, don't try to use Abbadon against any semi-competent Tau player or you will lose horribly.
What you also have to understand as well is that 600+ points isn't being invested in Abaddon in anything less than 2000pt games, so that means there is usually still 1400+pts of enemies other than him and his Land Raider buddies.

You have to take into account how much fire and attention he is drawing away from them.

8-10 Khorn Berzerkers in a Rhino might look like child's play sitting beside Abaddon and his pimped out retinue and land raider. But if they make it to the Tau lines, they will still tear you a new one.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-22-12, 12:36 PM
Ancient Relic

My tactic for using abaddon involves 8 berzerkers abd a posessed land raider. Move 12 first turn, pop smoke, 2nd turn, move 12 disembark 2 charge 6, pribably get a triple multicharge off, then kill everything. Abaddon needs to be used as a deathstar, because tyat is how he works.

Quote:
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-12, 02:06 AM

PROxASSASSINx's Flag is: Canada

@ mcmuffin. True, broadside shooting can be easily avoided but if you are trying to bring a massive landraider down to the opponents table edge there will me many opportunities to get shots off no matter how you move it. Even if you do manage to get Abbadon in CC with a group of broadsides there would still be another two squads of three to worry about. So as soon as Abbadon brutalizes the one squad he will be a sitting duck during my next shooting phase. (due to the fact that you can't consolidate into combat anymore ) There will also be a bunch of soft kroot squads sitting infront of my more valuable units who will be meat shields that will once again give me an extra shooting phase to destroy Abbadon or other targets. And don't get me started on 65 point piranahs equiped with fusion blasters who will go on tank hunting missions so CSM troops will have to footslogg the rest of the way...11 armour rhinos don't last long against Str 8 Ap 1 meltas... Now on to D-A-S's comment. I understand what you are saying about there being 1400+ extra points left over. That works for both sides (Abbadon + posse= 650 points, Broadsides x3 = 660) With those extra 1400 points i can field a plethera of Anti tank piranahs ( did i mention I can have a squad of them 5 of them for a little over 300 points...310 to be exact) So with the broadsides and those 5 piranahs i still have over 1000 points left to invest in a number of crisis battle suits, Commander battle suits, fire warrior meat shields, kroot meat shields and even some devilfish for some extra mobility. The Tau do have a some what effective CC hero, I found out about him and I used used him in my last game against Space wolves and he single handly took out a 5 man terminator squad, he is a real hidden treasure for the Tau and he is pretty inexpensive for what he does.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-24-12, 12:54 PM
Ancient Relic

You obviously played a shit space wolf player then. How long did your broadsides last in that game?

I could argue over every point you made, but i will let you live in a lovely little fantasy of Tau being fantastic. Lets pit Nids Chaos and Tau against each other, it could be battle of the bottom tier codices.

Quote:
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode