Versus Eldrad Ulthran - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 02:30 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

Quote:
Pull out and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
Awesome quote. Repped

Quote:
To be honest, I would just try an avoid him as best I could
TBH, Siege has the right idea. If something isn't easily taken out, its not really worth the effort. You're much better focussing your efforts on solid VP's you can take easily. Theres only so much one model can do, even one like eldrad. As with most things, just saddle up the troops, and wipe out the rest of their army.

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 03:11 PM

Bogg's Flag is: Norway

load a battle wagon, with old zogworth,,,,and "squig" him , lol

Orks - Salamanders - IG -Tau - Necron - Csm - Nids - Dark Eldar
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silb View Post
Actually, forget the whole thing I just said, I just checked the codex and it says he has a witchblade, a pistol, AND a big staff thing. So I think he can either use his staff (for one powerful attack) or the pistol and the witchblade (for two slightly less-powerful attacks)..
Actually, common sense aside, nothing in the rules says that his staff is a two-handed weapon, so likely he'll get two attacks that wound on 2+ and ignore armor (or two that wound on 2+, *don't* ignore armor, but triple his Strength vs vehicles)

Either way, it's still not a lot, even at his high initiative.

how would you counter/deal with his most annoying precognition power? Use a Callidus assassin to move one of his units back? Use your faster units to move in response to his redeploy once the game gets going? Spread your units out so he doesn't have an obvious choice for where to mass up?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 03:36 PM

Seems like the best counter to eldrad is an anti-eldrad army, but thats going to far for a single purpose.

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 04:22 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

Quote:
Seems like the best counter to eldrad is an anti-eldrad army, but thats going to far for a single purpose
Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself.

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 04:35 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

Witch Hunters aren't an anti-Eldrad army. They are an anti-psyker army. They also have access to assassins. Eldar have more access to psyker units than most other armies. Like I said, take WH allies. All you need to do is give up 1 HQ or elite slot to get the inquisitor and his retinue and you should be able to take out Eldrad's unit no problem. You could be playing any SM or IG army with WH allies. Black Templars would fit the idea the best though.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Actually, common sense aside, nothing in the rules says that his staff is a two-handed weapon, so likely he'll get two attacks that wound on 2+ and ignore armor (or two that wound on 2+, *don't* ignore armor, but triple his Strength vs vehicles)

Either way, it's still not a lot, even at his high initiative.

how would you counter/deal with his most annoying precognition power? Use a Callidus assassin to move one of his units back? Use your faster units to move in response to his redeploy once the game gets going? Spread your units out so he doesn't have an obvious choice for where to mass up?
I just noticed that wording, i had always assumed the Staff of Ulthamar was a singing spear (two handed) but it doesn't say that. Well charging in with 3 attacks that wound on 2+ and ignore armor isn't bad for a psyker his age .
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 08:05 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute035 View Post
Assassins... either way you attack, Eldrad should have his 3++ rerollable... maybe Vindicaire with the rounds that ignore invulnerable saves? But that's only 1 wound. What can i say, eldar are tricky.
Callidus Assassin ignores invuln saves and armor saves in melee (c'tan phase sword). She's only charging in with 4 attacks and has a pretty good chance of getting another 3 the next turn but will likely die after that to an eldar counterassault. These 7 attacks are not likely to kill Eldrad, but they should hurt him badly, and if she can get another round or two in of cc she can finish the job.

Last edited by Culler; 03-22-08 at 08:08 PM.
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 08:15 PM

pyroanarchist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler View Post
Callidus Assassin ignores invuln saves and armor saves in melee (c'tan phase sword). She's only charging in with 4 attacks and has a pretty good chance of getting another 3 the next turn but will likely die after that to an eldar counterassault. These 7 attacks are not likely to kill Eldrad, but they should hurt him badly, and if she can get another round or two in of cc she can finish the job.
He usually has a bodyguard around him though. They would absorb any wounds she inflicted and he would probably still be standing in perfect health.

Blood for the Blood God!

Brass Scorpion Project
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-22-08, 08:16 PM

About Eldrads attacks...
He has a base attack of one, he gets +1 attack for CCW (Staff/Pistol, Witchblade/pistol)

The Staff of Ulthamar is not a singing spear, and it doesnt say that it is a two handed weapon. The staff allows Eldrad to use a 3rd power and it can a power he has previously used. In combat, It allows Eldrad to wound on a 2+ and it ignores armour saves. On the charge he has a total of 3 attacks. Not too shaby. of course he isnt a CC beast, but he can still be a little menace especially if he has a unit of warlocks with him. Mass 2+ wounds haha!

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode