Question on unit sizes for chaos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Default Question on unit sizes for chaos

Just started a chaos army and wanted to know what logic i should follow on ny unit sizes. Should i use the units "magic number" or should i just use common sense or is there another conventional wisdom i should use (points considered of course)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-10, 07:52 PM

Deathscythe4722's Flag is: USA

Here are the unit numbers i usually use, with reasons:

Vanilla CSM: 10
They're comparatively cheap, so fill the unit up to 10 and throw them in a rhino.

Plague Marines: 7
Magic number of Nurgle, and also they're freaking expensive. More is acceptable, but i don't find that the extra bolters benefit me all that much.

Khorne Berserkers: 8
Again, magic number and cost consideration. Plus, anything over 8 tends to overkill like crazy, leaving you vulnerable during the shooting phase.

Noise Marines: 6ish
No personal experience here, but i get the impression that keeping them small and loading them up to the eyeballs with Sonic Blasters is the way to go.

Chosen: 5
Load them up with 5x meltas and go on a suicide run, usually with Outflank/Rhino.

Possessed: 5
Usually don't use this unit, because they're terrible from a competitive/efficiency standpoint. Fun in friendly games or for fluff reasons though.
Anyway, unit of 5 for running about stabbing things alone or to join Kharn in his Land Raider to stab things. WAAAAY too expensive for what they bring to the table.

Last edited by Deathscythe4722; 09-08-10 at 07:56 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanations. Any thoughts on tsons or do the other units/cults just out shine them to much

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 06:21 AM

Flame80010's Flag is: New Zealand

i think 9 is T'sons number just because they are to expencive to run in small squads and 9 gives you alot of AP3 dakka

and anything more then 9 starts to eat at your points significantly
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 10:20 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722 View Post
Here are the unit numbers i usually use, with reasons:

Vanilla CSM: 10
They're comparatively cheap, so fill the unit up to 10 and throw them in a rhino.
Reason they are run in squads of 10 is to get the 2nd special weapon.

Plague Marines: 7
Magic number of Nurgle, and also they're freaking expensive. More is acceptable, but i don't find that the extra bolters benefit me all that much.
Main reason is that they are fairly hard to kill, and a small unit of PM's will live longer than a big unit of CSM. Reason to run say 3 squads of 6 rather than 2 squads of 10 is to maximize the number of special weapons and aspiring champions in the army. Personally i like running them in units of 6 in a Rhino.

Khorne Berserkers: 8
Again, magic number and cost consideration. Plus, anything over 8 tends to overkill like crazy, leaving you vulnerable during the shooting phase.
Depends. Id go with 9-10, but if the squad includes a champ with a PF (which it should) then 8-9 is a better number. If you run Kharn in the same unit as them, then 6-7 with a PF champ is enough (assuming they are in a Rhino/LR).

Noise Marines: 6ish
No personal experience here, but i get the impression that keeping them small and loading them up to the eyeballs with Sonic Blasters is the way to go.
5. Always 5. Just give them a Blastmaster and put them in a Rhino. No sonic blasters or champ upgrades.

Chosen: 5
Load them up with 5x meltas and go on a suicide run, usually with Outflank/Rhino.
Pretty much. Melta/Plasma depending on your local metagame.

Possessed: 5
Usually don't use this unit, because they're terrible from a competitive/efficiency standpoint. Fun in friendly games or for fluff reasons though.
Anyway, unit of 5 for running about stabbing things alone or to join Kharn in his Land Raider to stab things. WAAAAY too expensive for what they bring to the table.
I avoid these things like the plague (no pun intended).
My personal opinions are in yellow bold.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 10:47 AM

Cruor99's Flag is: Norway

Personally, I would run Thousand Sons in groups of 5 (including Sorcerer) With either Doombolt for added fire or Bolt of double rainbows in a rhino. This cuts the cost of the unit, while still letting them be sort of effective. This, of course, makes you rely on the rest of your army to make up for the troops being easily removed, so double princes is almost a Must here, in my opinion.

The day you met me may have been the most life-changing day of your life. For me, it was simply tuesday.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 02:08 PM

Flame80010's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor99 View Post
Personally, I would run Thousand Sons in groups of 5 (including Sorcerer) With either Doombolt for added fire or Bolt of double rainbows in a rhino. This cuts the cost of the unit, while still letting them be sort of effective. This, of course, makes you rely on the rest of your army to make up for the troops being easily removed, so double princes is almost a Must here, in my opinion.
TBH i think if your going to run a squad that small you shouldnt even bother taking them, TS's cost the most points the smaller the squad but eventualy they even out a bit, bigger i would say is better especialy since they have a 4+ invunrible which means they dont even need to hide in cover :3 plus mass S4 AP3 dakka is awsomeness :D
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 08:10 PM

Lash Machine's Flag is: England

Wind of chaos is a must for the sorcerer. Units of 6 or 7 works well when put in a rhino and run with a lash prince or two.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-10, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

One more question. What about chaos bikers? Are they worth using at all? (maybe like termicide squads?). And for the record i only do casual play so maybe any units work in casual?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-10, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Also why is LoS SOO amazing? (no offense to anyone suggesting it. Just nuts how often i see it referenced.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode