CSM vs CRONS, need help! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-10, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
enigma's Flag is: Canada

CSM vs CRONS, need help!

I'm pretty new to this hobby and I have been playing for a month or two. I play a lot with my friend at about 1000 point games. He plays necrons and runs 2 squads of 14 necron warriors, 3 destroyers, and the night bringer.

Some how his night bringer always manages to eat up my chaos space marines. So I redid my army list and would love some advice.

HQ

Daemon Prince with wings

Elites

5x Chosen plasma gun/rhino

Troops

x8 Khorne berzerkers/champ/fist/rhino/personal icon

x8 Khorne berzerkers/champ/fist/rhino/personal icon

x8 Lesser daemons

Heavy Support

x2 Obliterator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-10, 06:15 PM

drop the lesser daemons and take rhinos for the bezerkers. that gives them the mobility to avoid the nightbringer and get into cc with his warriors. Phase Out Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
I'd rather take my chances at the end of Kharn the betrayers axe, while Typhus sneezes on me Ahriman pokes me with tentacles and Lucius rapes my leg (Abby can sit in the corner crying) than with the imperium.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-10, 06:29 PM

johnnymajic's Flag is: Canada

the bezerkers already have rhinos.

I would try to give the prince a psychic power, even if it's only warptime, that still better than a plain jane prince

If you drop the lesser demons you might free up some points for a greater demon. If you also drop the bezerkers you can get a more expensive troop

Thousand sons are born necron killers, with their ap3 bolters and if you do happen to get close (which neither of you want) your sorcerer can use wind of chaos and torch those warriors.

Seeing as necrons will be back, why not have your own version of this, why not take plague marines with plasma or melta for some staying and killing power

Hope this helped a bit and good luck

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-10, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymajic View Post
the bezerkers already have rhinos.
How could I be so stupid!? Surves(SP?) me right for not reading the list properly

The best power for a prince is warptime for the rerolls.

Also thousand sons suck against crons as they don't ignore we'll be back and have a lot less shots than vanilla CSM at the same points so do the same damage, do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
I'd rather take my chances at the end of Kharn the betrayers axe, while Typhus sneezes on me Ahriman pokes me with tentacles and Lucius rapes my leg (Abby can sit in the corner crying) than with the imperium.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-10, 06:57 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Uber-LOL - Necrons are supposed to be really uncompetitive, so you should really need tactics vs them ;)

But seriously, there are 2 options:

1. Assume your opponent is a n00b and doesn't know how to play Necrons = rush CC on Warriors and Phase Out in Turn 2.

2. Assume your opponent knows how to play, and then start to worry.

I prefer to plan tactics based on assumption 2, but your opponent is obviously in the first category, so don't worry about it. If you have shooty of S5+ then use that to take out the C'tan, just lots of shots should do it. But your friend is going to be really easy to Phase Out, so just go for that with an assault on turn 2. Your games should not really go beyond turn 3.

[EDIT] P.S. you realise he is using 1,014pts, that is almost a whole Necron Warrior extra. Making him drop the spare model will help you right away - 1 model closer to Phase Out.

All that is important is known.
Praxis

Last edited by darklove; 08-26-10 at 11:31 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-10, 05:49 AM

have the oblits kill the destroyers first. cc the warriors with the beserkers and lesser deamons. give the deamon prince mark of slannesh and lash of submission. u can use that to keep the night bringer away so u can get many turns of shooting him with the chosen.
hope this helps!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-10, 07:31 AM

Winged Lash Prince.

Then just keep lashing the Nightbringer backwards/away from the rest of the army while the Oblits pummel the destroyers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-10, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedschel View Post
have the oblits kill the destroyers first. cc the warriors with the beserkers and lesser deamons. give the deamon prince mark of slannesh and lash of submission. u can use that to keep the night bringer away so u can get many turns of shooting him with the chosen.
hope this helps!
Do Chosen have S5+ guns? If they don't then they can't hurt the C'tan at all at range. If there is a Lash Prince then it would probably be an early target for the Necrons and shouldn't be counted on as an anti-C'tan option.

Safest option is to make short work of the Warriors, in such a speedy way that the C'tan can't get involved to spoil things.

Praxis
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-10, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
enigma's Flag is: Canada

hey guys thanks a lot of the input!

the chosens are all armed with plasma gun. is the lash prince a good idea? because if i could push away nightbringer every turn my berserkers would munch up his warriors.

also do you guys think i need the chosen? they are like 200 points which is rather expensive, i could trade them for 2 more obliterators to overkill his destroyers cause those things are a major threat to my rhinos.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-10, 11:24 AM

The Destroyers are not a problem for you as long as you have some guns with 36"+ range. You only need to cause 3 unsaved wounds for them to be perma-dead, no WBB. Just max out vs the massive, massive, massive noob errors your opponent is making.

Priority activity:

1. kill the Destroyers from range on turn 1. They don't get WBB if you kill all 3.
2. use your S5+ shooting attacks to put pressure on the C'tan.
3. forget about lashing the C'tan to keep it away. Use the lash to get the Warriors NEARER.
4. an early assault on the Warriors can give you a Phase Out win by turn 2. This will mean that the C'tan can be pretty much ignored, there isn't enough time for it to do anything.

Put all your force against the weakest aspect of your opponent's army and it will be a brutal lesson in list building for him.

Praxis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode