best way to use a chaos dread - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Default best way to use a chaos dread

i was looking at the venerable dreadnought model and just saw it as a chaos dreadnought and im gonna get one soon and convert it problem is i have no idea how to use a chaos dreadnought can someone give me a good way to use them

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 04:08 PM

give it a multi-melta and missle luncher send it too the front and pray for a fire frenzy. the multi-melta is good on vehickels and the missle launcher works best for infantry and light vehickels
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 04:10 PM

5tonsledge's Flag is: USA

the best way to use a dread is to leave it in your box. never use a chaos dread maybe someday GW will make a dreadclaw assualt pod and we will have the stat line in are chaos codex but until that day just leave your dread at home. take chosen or terminators. but seriously chosen are the best.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

i want to use one i know there bad but i would like to use one

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 07:52 PM

Malgron's Flag is: Canada

I think you have to have a specialized army to use them at full potential, combined with a little experience at predicting enemy movement. But, that could be said of almost any unit.

This is my theory on their use. It is more friendly than tournament.

The Friendly Chaos Dreadnought:

You can load them up to the tits for whatever role you want them to play, but it will cost you. I don't have the codex handy but I think the MM, PC, extra CC, and ML are all close to eachother pointswise. I don't like the ML as it has the versatility at the cost of power. Dread MAKE situations, they don't react to them. MM or PC are deadly, but to you as well, CC depends on how you want to deploy.

A nice trick with the Rage rule is that it is ignored the turn the dread comes in from reserves. This will give you 1 shot 6" from your board edge at whatever angle you walk him in on, to the target of your choice. After that, it's anyone's guess what mayhem will ensue. But you did have all movement phase to get your units as far from him as possible or into CC during assault. Better yet, if you have rushed as much of your army across the board as possible when he arrives, the closest enemies will likely be tender scouts or deeptrikers. Heh or your other dread- who can say.

This way, you don't have to worry as much during deployment about clustering your guys away from him. A CC dread is simple and effective, but other units are probably better compared to a metal melee thing haphazardly running across the board with a TL bolter.

There is just something Khorny about a headlong rush at an enemy objective with mass KB rhino's and DP, while enemy units try to stand or capture objectives away from you, they move closer to where Defilers and dreadnoughts rumble into action, belching noxious exhaust from the tree-line, launching ordnance on the scattered formations and wading through those that thought they could outflank death itself. Sorry, imagination runs wild

Can you use them effectively? Go for it. Try your best and learn what the rest of the army can do to help them out. A lot of the "bad" unit choices are ones that seem to be made for randomness. Spawn mindless - ignored 1st turn out of reserve. Dread -same. Possessed can get outflank if held in reserve (with a lord if in a Dedicated transport). Defilers are big and scary and will be targeted first- hide them in reserve and hope they will have juicy targets in LOS unobstructed when they walk on. Randomness screws over reliability.

If you aren't willing to take a risk though don't use them...coughLoyalistcough

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution. -Primus
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 08:11 PM

Annabelle's Flag is: USA

I use my chaos dreadnought as a paper weight. He stays on my desk until I get a new codex. After killing 2 of my own rhinos in back to back turns, I had enough.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 08:40 PM

yea dont get me wrong Chaos Dreads are way cool but they just arent worth the points to take. ive heard a lot of people say to take a close combat weapon and a missle launcher because if you shot a gun at your stuff you can chose frag instead of krak. but all in all they just suck, worst unit in the game other than spawns.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 08:53 PM

oh that reminds me the funniest thing i have ever seen was a team game against black legion chaos and tau and i was sporting my noise marines with orc. the black legion guy took 3 dreads and 3 defilers so it looked scary but the thing i chuckled at was he had a multi melta and a close combat weapon on his dreads. the first turn of theirs it went crazy and shot his teamates hammerhead gunship from 7 inches away 2D6 blew the thing up on a 5+1 for ap1. turn 2 it happend with a different dread shot his defiler and destroyed the battle cannon. then of course my 12 lascannons took th other 2 defilers. but yea he didnt do it again the rest of the game but in his new list ive seen currently he runs no dreads. but yea it was hillarious. watching his tau ally face as he rolled the destroying shot on his hammerhead. the dreads never reached shooting range of my stuff i killed all 3 the last defiler and the enemy tau players broadsides the orc player used my lash to get his boys into combat on the 2 turn. i lashed 2 squads of fire warriors into combat with the guys nob biker squad then he whiped both leadership sweaping advance. then turn 3 i lashed a squad of kroot and a squad of chaos space marine generic no marks. over all it was flawless. we didnt count that game as a 10,000 point team game because it only lasted 2 hours. ha ha it was great.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 10:38 PM

Deathscythe4722's Flag is: USA

If you want to use it for Anti-infantry and/or CC, a good way to use it is have him hug the side of a Land Raider until he gets in range of the enemy. That way if you hit a Fire Frenzy, he'll just unload all his guns harmlessly into the side of the LR.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-10, 11:24 PM

I've had success running one with the CCW/TL bolter & CCW/HF combo before but all he was really doing was successfully drawing fire from my own troops... The problem with chaos dreads is two-fold: either you've equiped a dakka dread & you're going to potentially fire frenzy that long range power on your own soldiers OR you've built the close range version & need to run him across the table for two or three turns to get him into combat where he belongs. Loyalists have drop-pods which are the perfect dreadnought delivery system - we don't.

There is great potential in a denied flank move with them, either by castling on one side of the board with everything else & leaving a dreadnought to watch the other flank or potentially walking him on the other end of your long board edge from reserves in spearhead but I dunno... there are so many better options

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode