Versus The Death Company - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Icon Versus The Death Company

The Death Company is easily one of the most dreaded assault units in the game. They can be anywhere from two to ten men strong, but 8 or 10 is the most formidable.

They can use Jump Packs, a Rhino or a Drop Pod (or, if you buy it as its own slot, they could always load up into a Crusader), but Jump Packs are the most common choice. And they're almost always accompanied by a Chaplain (usually Lemartes)

So what makes them so scary?
Base 2 attacks (not including +1 for BP & CCW), full Space Marine stats, Frag & Krak, plus Feel No Pain, Fearless, Furious Charge and Rending!

On the charge, a Death Company with Lemartes or a regular chaplain is I5, S5, A4, and reroll misses. And every reroll is one more chance to get a S5 rend.

They are a truly terrifying unit, but they do have their weaknesses.

Feel No Pain doesn't work against Instant Death or CC attacks that ignore armour (power weapons, rending attacks in CC), so S8 ordinance are one of the few shooting attacks that are worth directing against them, meanwhile high-initiative power-weapon squads like Howling Banshees are a serious threat, but other than that, there's not a lot that can stop these guys if they're used properly.

So how would you handle The Death Company (And a Chaplain)?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 04-21-08 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:21 PM

I am anxious to see the answers because I have been having a lot of dificulty with this unit lately. The guy I play against runs about 6 jumpacks with a chaplain and usually a librarian nearby to deal with any characters that might counter charge. So far my tactic has been to just through units at them to tie them up and work on the rest of the army. Tactical squad and maybe a drednaught and then move everything else back and hope for a round of shooting. But the DC and Vet assault squad always end up doing the most damage.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:25 PM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Bait tactics have always worked for me. By placing a unit 'in the way', the DC is practically forced to go through them. This will generally bunch up the DC and might redirect them just enough so that they can be made legal targets for whatever shooting I can send their way.

This has worked using IG, SoB, and Eldar armies. A canny opponent will most likely not fall for it, but then, he may as having your DC going around obstacles is not in the nature of most BA players, lol.

With IG, counter-assaulting with more bodies than the DC can handle works just as well, but the point-for-point investment is usually in the favor of the BA player.

The psychological value the DC promote is not to be underestimated. Most armies will dedicate half their resources to eliminating this unit from the start. Allowing the DC to advance and focusing fire on anything that might be considered a support unit for the DC advance might be a better option. If your force is mobile, you may get up to 3 rounds of fire off before the DC make contact. Tying them up with Fearless/Horde units is a great tactic, especially when those units have high initiative as well, or just too many numbers to chew through. Bugs and IG both have units that fit this description and can stall the DC almost indefinitely (or even take them out of the game for good), for a fairly small investment in points.

Just keep in mind, not matter how good the save, every dice rolled is a chance at failure! What an uplifting thought!

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:35 PM

DA CRAZY's Flag is: USA

I have never versed Death Company before, but I would use a LOT of warbikes to shoot them from a range and turbo boost when they get too close. I would also use a lot of regular boyz (30 men in a squad) to slowly were down the enemy with furious charge and a sheer amount of attacks. Plus they would have to kill at least 18 to make my men take leadership tests of any kind... I never versed Death Company before so I could not tell you if this strategy would work.....

"True evil requires skill"
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:40 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA CRAZY View Post
I have never versed Death Company before, but I would use a LOT of warbikes to shoot them from a range and turbo boost when they get too close. I would also use a lot of regular boyz (30 men in a squad) to slowly were down the enemy with furious charge and a sheer amount of attacks. Plus they would have to kill at least 18 to make my men take leadership tests of any kind... I never versed Death Company before so I could not tell you if this strategy would work.....
The Warbike tactic may have some merit, but keep in mind that a Death Company would probably easily chew through a unit of 30 Boyz. We're just cool like that.

Katie D
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

a unit of 50 conscripts, on the other hand...especially with an independent Comissar attached to make them fearless...

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 03:49 PM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

Yup... especially if those conscripts happen to be in cover.... that many attacks going simo could put a little pain into those FNP crazies...
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 04:19 PM

DA CRAZY's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
The Warbike tactic may have some merit, but keep in mind that a Death Company would probably easily chew through a unit of 30 Boyz. We're just cool like that.

Katie D
Yah...boyz die all the time..... but that is why you have the max amount of troop choices....plus nobz with the dreaded power claws.....

"True evil requires skill"
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 04:57 PM
frost_reaver's Flag is: USA

While I almost never play AGAINST Death Co, the roomate plays necrons. Here are some of the tactics that have worked for him:

Necrons:
I can't say enough about Scarab Swarms. Very cheap, lots of wounds, really pisses me off. While the Death Co has never been destroyed (or even harmed much), Scarabs slow you down. They move as fast as Death Co (I always equip my DC with jump packs) so I can't avoid them well and if they get the charge instead of the DC, they can tie them up forever. While this doesn't destroy the DC, what's it really matter anyway? As long as they tied up, they can't hurt anything else, and they aren't worth any VP anyway.

A resource site for wargaming and more. Updated: Weekly
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-29-08, 09:10 PM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

A sideways hail of plasma fire seems to knock down the fanatics pretty well. In most games, I have 5-30 plasma weapons strewn about my army.

I have great faith in the Machine God to keep my guns from exploding my marines.

-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode