Thousand Sons or Death Guard for Holding ground - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Maverike Prime's Flag is: USA

Thousand Sons or Death Guard for Holding ground

So I've assembled a 1k point list, played a few games with it. Had some fun, claimed some victories, and was handed some defeats. Now I'm upping the list and I was address a bit of a hole I have in my army, and that's the ability to take AND hold ground while still going on the offensive. I was looking through the CSM codex and I've come down to three choices.

Choice 1: a 20 man unit of Death Guard.
Plus: Toughness 5 against anything that is S7 or less
Blight Grenades.
Minus: Tend to burn up when exposed to plasma and Lascannon shots.
They don't like pie (plates).

Choice 2: a 20 man unit of Thousand Sons
Plus: a 3+/4+* save
AP 3 Bolters
Minus: Slow and Purposeful which gets worse if the Sorcerer bits the dust.

Choice 3: 2 ten men units of Thousand Sons in Rhinos
Plus: a 3+/4+* save
AP 3 Bolters
Can get to the Objective faster AND have the added abilities of the Rhino.
Minus: Survivability is cut down roughly to roughly 60% per unit
Costs Versus defensive fire power.

Anyone wanna gimme their opinion on these options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 10:58 AM
Has Dain Brammage

LostIsland's Flag is: New Zealand

What I've found works well is a 7man unit of Plague marines (including champ) in a rhino tagged with a 9man unit of tsons (inc sorc) in a rhino. Helps keep the points down in the smaller units and is still effective and killy. send each towards a different objective, plaguies into cover, sons onto the one in the open (sons for open as their inv is the same as most cover saves).
Hope this helps man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji
shoving your knackers in a jarful of hyperactive scorpions can also be done, quite frankly I fancy neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPug
Clarification: If you are female with boobs - congrats you've won. If you are a male with boobs - not so much.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 12:00 PM

Solely depends on what you do with your objective choices. 1k sons can camp on objectives in the open, relying on their 4+* save to see them through the fire. Rhinos act like mobile bunkers in this way, use them to deliever the sons to the objective, then to block fire lanes from guns that could harm them with ease.

Plague marnes can endure massed fire from small arms fire, with T5, a 3+ save and a feel no pain save, they become hard to stop/bring down. Again, a rhino is a must as it can be used to block fire lanes to them.

The majority of armies at 1000 points will struggle to bring enough big/assault guns to stop any of your choices. However, I advise away from a large 1k sons unit, as its such a drain on points, and importantly, space.

Keep your doors open is what I say. I prefer 1k sons over plague marines on the sole basis that marines with a icon of nurgle is much cheaper and can do the job almost aswell...AND can bring a heavy weapon. 1k sons bring you something that no other unit does, massed anti-meq firepower. You'll have to be careful with them though, SnP really hinders them, especially if their rhino is blown up. So they need to have their chosen destination picked carefully.

10 plague marines is over kill. 7-8 will do. saving you 40 - 60 points. Thousand sons need to be at least 9 strong, just because you don't want a job half done.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
10 plague marines is over kill. 7-8 will do. saving you 40 - 60 points. Thousand sons need to be at least 9 strong, just because you don't want a job half done.
I was wondering about the numbers in the previous post. I guess a 10 man unit would be more cost effective (in terms of money as well as points) for stepping up my army. Plus I've got some rhinos I can cannibalize from other armies. I think I have a few Tsons around here somewhere. Hmm... I may not need to buy anything for this next step. Have to do some looking and bitz box diving. Now then, where is my JIM suit?

Be Sure to follow me on:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 07:01 PM

Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverike Prime View Post
I was wondering about the numbers in the previous post. I guess a 10 man unit would be more cost effective (in terms of money as well as points) for stepping up my army.?
Actually, money-wise these numbers help you a lot, since cult troops are not sold in kits with 10 of each. Plague boys come in 7s, Zerkers in 8s and 1k sons in 9's. Getting 20 1k sons means buying 3 boxes and having lots of marines left on the shelf, unless you are good with converting!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-10, 10:24 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Go with Plague Marines in Rhinos. The Thousand Sons main claim to fame when it comes to holding objectives is not needing cover since they're essentially in it all the time (what with having a 4+ save and moving slowly). That being said, Plague Marines are a lot more resilient against small arms fire and are equally resilient against bigger guns if placed in cover (which is really quite simple to do, even if the objective is in the open). The only thing you're really losing is the ability to shoot at long range on the move.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-10, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
Actually, money-wise these numbers help you a lot, since cult troops are not sold in kits with 10 of each. Plague boys come in 7s, Zerkers in 8s and 1k sons in 9's. Getting 20 1k sons means buying 3 boxes and having lots of marines left on the shelf, unless you are good with converting!
While my quality of skills at conversions is debatable, it's certainly not something I'd shy away from.

Actually I had an idea, and I know this is more in line for the models section then here, but you guys are already reading this. Using Plague Marine or Thousand Sons rules to play a Dark Adeptus unit. I mean with Thousand Sons:

SnP: The marines are mechs and they have difficulty dealing with terrain that isn't flat and level.
The Sorcerer Commands: There's a guy controlling the machines.
I figure the AP3 bolters could be represented by Plasma guns or something similar.

With Plague Marines: The Toughness 5 could be represented by increased armor on the Servitor bodies while Fnp can be used to explain how the machines have redundant control systems.

Thoughts about something like that?

Be Sure to follow me on:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode