Versus Tau Broadsides - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-08, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Versus Tau Broadsides

This week's chosen target is the mighty Tau Broadside.

With a 2+ save, 2 wounds and T4 it is a tough nut to crack. Tougher if it has Shield Drones with it.

For weapons, it has the single scariest gun ever, the fearsome Railgun. S10, AP1, 72" range and, if that weren't bad enough, it's twin-linked!

The suit is also armed with either TL Smart Missile Systems, which fires four S5 missiles and can be fired indirectly...albeit at a relatively short range... or it could have a twinlinked Plasma Rifle, which is S6 AP2 and rapid fire.

Thankfully they cannot fire both weapons at once unless they use their only upgrade slot to include a Multitracker, but you rarely see this because Advanced Stabilization Systems are far more common, allowing the Broadside to move and fire its weapons (Gives it Slow and Purposeful)

Tatgeting Array is also a common upgrade, giving the suit BS4 (with its twin-linked weapon this means it;s going to hit, a lot)

It is relatively weak in melee, with its low WS and initiative, but it does have a high strength.

They can be fielded solo or in unit of up to three suits. Unlike other tau battlesuits, the Broadside lacks the infamous Jed-Pack, so it's a relatively static unit. One suit may be upgraded to leader, granting it better battlesuit armory access (and allowing it to take hard-wired versions of some support systems, such as a hard-wired multitracker that doesn't take up a slot)

They're a heavy support slot for Tau, and fairly expensive so you';ll rarely encounter more than one unit of them.

So...how do you deal with Broadsides?

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 04-21-08 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-08, 07:21 PM

bl0203's Flag is: USA

I play BA so I guess volume of fire from rapid fire Tac Squads to cover my VAS Marines w/Thammer and two meltas as they charge up the flank. I don't think I would use high strength heavy weapons because invariably they're going to have shield drones to squash your instant death along with their invulnerable save. Additionally smart players will have them in cover.

I would rather save my heavy weapons to fire for the Skimmers that are bound to be running around the board. I guess it goes back to ASSAULT Shootie units, and SHOOT Assault Units. Just hug cover and hope your troopers get there in one piece.

"Primus Enire Ultima Exire"
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-08, 07:33 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

As with most problems I'd go with a GKGM or even just a BC deepstriking on top of them. NFM will slice through that stuff like nobodies business and then I'd move onto taking out his other static firepower. The GM/BC doesn't even really need a Bodyguard to do this.

For straight IG its a little harder, I'd probably go with a Special Weapon squad with Sniper Rifles or Ratlings. However it is very hit and miss. I havn't faced a Tau army with straight IG so I'm not sure.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-22-08, 07:54 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

The only easy way to wipe out broadsides is with concentrated lascannon fire, as if they were a tank. You'll have to get through 2 shield drones if the tau player is worth his salt before you actually start killing suits, so this can be a difficult proposition. Any long-range anti-infantry fire is not going to inflict enough wounds to get through a 2+ save very efficiently. Deepstrikers may have a chance of getting to them (there is significant risk of other tau being in the area that will kill you or you may scatter into unless your foe is completely deepstriking/mechtau). Fast skimmer transports also have a good shot because there's a good chance that 3 glancing hits won't take your skimmer down. If you have 2 such skimmers, more the better. The strongest thing for space marines is to hit them with a bunch of vindicators, but that's not really an option for most. Another good choice is deepstriking combi-plasma terminators into rapid fire range. Risky, but they should be able to tear through broadsides if the gambit succeeds. I wouldn't expect deepstriking melee troops to last until their next turn when they actually get to move after deepstriking a high priority target into the range of all the tau guns.

With my orks I don't take vehicles so I just laugh at their uselessness until they get within 24" for their SMS (which is, admittedly, very strong because a squad of 3 will get 12 shots that don't require LoS). Warbikers make broadsides wet themselves. If they use their SMS, they have to deal with 5 toughness and a 4+ save. If they use their railguns, they still have to deal with a 4+ cover save to kill a 25 point unit. And warbikers with good deployment will be in their face by turn 2. Unfortunately while they are resistant to the ubiquitous str 5 ap 5 tau gun profile, warbikers are weak to missile pods, which many tau have in spades. Snikrot kommandos also tear broadsides to shreds with volume of attacks and burna power attacks.

With my tau it's a good old fashioned railgun duel probably augmented by deepstriking fireknife suits. It's not pretty on either side.

Broadsides are an extremely tough nut to crack, especially if they're properly defended by other tau (such as a deathrain/fireknife crisis team and fire warriors). An intact CC squad of any type gives them a solid pounding. A very fast army can get past their defenses with units intact, but space marines in general are too slow, even in rhinos (which are vulnerable to getting missile podded to death or killed by the multitude of str 5 weaponry even with smoke launchers.) A biker force can get into them and resist counterfire if they turboboost but there has to be a lot of them to resist the high volume of fire focused entirely on them.

Last edited by Culler; 02-22-08 at 09:55 PM.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

As a blood Angels player I've found that there's few targets a well-armed VAS can't crack. A pair of meltaguns and at least one powerfist can do a lot of damage, assuming we don't get shot to shit with the SMS before we close in. It's less of a threat to marines than orks since we still get our saves, but that's still a lot of firepower coming up over some wall or something.

On general principles, without any particular army in mind, I'd still focus on assault over shooting at them. Unless you have reliable S10 guns, nothing in most arsenals can instant-kill them, and the presence of shield drones is a deterrant. Meanwhile, you can't outrange them and they can always take cover and hit you with missiles.

Getting a unit close enough to assault them will be tricky, but if they have any kind of power weapon, it should pay off.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 01:21 AM

killer_sheep's Flag is: Ireland

How about wolf scouts? 6 of them with 2 power weapons a meltagun and a pack leader
with a thunder hammer is around 160 points (cant remember of the top of my head) the broadsides are usually with in 6 to 10 inchs from the board edge anyway so just bring on the scouts in reserve and let them run riot
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Not a bad idea.

Chaos Chosen could be useful too. Infiltrate enough meltaguns and powerfists in and they can cause some havoc.

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 01:54 AM

killer_sheep's Flag is: Ireland

If you have a few deff copptas in a ork army with buzz saws, scout move them, you might not win the first turn but if you do happy hunting.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 05:15 AM

JubJub's Flag is: South Africa

Deep strike termies and kill with an assualt cannon, rending is so awesome...
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-23-08, 06:30 AM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Unless you have reliable S10 guns, nothing in most arsenals can instant-kill them, and the presence of shield drones is a deterrant.
Actually, they're toughness 4, so lascannons can instakill them if you can get through the shield drones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubJub View Post
Deep strike termies and kill with an assualt cannon, rending is so awesome...
A full broadsides squad has 8 wounds with 2 4++ saves and all 2+ saves. Unless you get all 8 shots to rend the terminators really aren't going to make much of a dent. On average they'll get 1, maybe 2 rends (which the broadsides get a 4++ save against) and even if you've knocked off a few drones the broadsides still have 2 wounds each. The rest of the shots will likely get saved against. CSM terminators with combi-meltas or combi-plasmas will be much more effective. Worst of all those termies will likely not survive the counterfire from deepstriking within rapid fire range of that many tau guns (especially from the plasma rifle armed suits and the railguns of the broadsides themselves).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode