Tactics to Deal with Cheaters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Tactics to Deal with Cheaters

Here's a list of common cheats to look out for. Hopefully we can make it a sticky so we can keep adding to known cheats.

1. Your opponent moves models 2-3 inches more than they are allowed.
- This is done by them holding the tape measure high enough off the table that you cannot effectively tell what their movement should have been.

2. Your opponent "accidentally" bumps or knocks down their own models in order to reposition them better.
- This is an obvious cheat. I would only call someone on it if they either repositioned models illegally or they performed the bump and move repeatedly.

3. Your opponent takes back moves without your permission.
- Obvious.

4. Your opponent premeasures moves.
- Not so easy to catch. Beware where their tape measure (and other measurement devices) is laying on the table.

5. Your opponent measures from front to back when moving models.
- They hold the tape measure at the front of the models base and proceeed to move teh model so the back of its base is at the end of their movement. This gains an extra inch.

6. Your opponent picks up their hits instead of their misses.
- It took me a little bit to get this one. If your opponent rolls 200 dice for attacks and picks up their hits, they can pick up extra dice that are "Hits" and you won't know any better. When we roll dice we are supposed to remove t he missed ones. It actually states that in the rules.

7. Your opponent questions your every move.
- This is done to put you on edge

8. Your opponent whines about how lucky you are and how the dice hate them.
- This is also done to put you on edge.

9. Your opponent cheats on wound allocation.
- Obvious

10. Your opponent cheats with modifiers.
- Obvious

Pleas feel free to add any more I may have missed.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 04:59 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
4. Your opponent premeasures moves.
- Not so easy to catch. Beware where their tape measure (and other measurement devices) is laying on the table.
Beware also that they may have measured body parts such as their fingers, hands and arms. If someone seems to be leaning on the table more than necessary, check they aren't placing their hands/arms near essential units to measure charge ranges etc. You think no-one would do it, but...

Quote:
7. Your opponent questions your every move.
- This is done to put you on edge

8. Your opponent whines about how lucky you are and how the dice hate them.
- This is also done to put you on edge.
Is this actually cheating or just bad sportsmanship? I'd put it under the heading of "table-talk" rather than cheating.

Also look away from the table as little as possible. It's very easy to turn around and then suddenly that Nob with a Klaw in a 30 strong Ork squad is an inch closer than he should be to your lines, and consequently able to charge this turn instead of the next.

Also if YOU don't know the rule, FIND IT in the rule book instead of just assuming the opponent is telling the truth. I know someone who claimed bullshit Wraithlord coversaves/firing lanes for an entire tournament because no-one checked what the actual rule was.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Last edited by Sethis; 02-16-10 at 05:04 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 05:05 PM

Icon

My personal most aggravating form of cheat is the "roll-off guy".

There's a section in the rulebook that mentions that if the players disagree, the simple expedient of a roll-off can get the game back on track.

This player will then exploit that to the fullest by always misinterpreting rules.

Example: "You can't charge me, you ran in the shooting phase." "That's not how I remember, roll off! 4+ to charge?"

"You can't shoot all your guns, you moved full speed!" "That's not how I remember, roll off! 4+ to shoot?"

"You can't take both armor and cover saves, you pick the best one of the available ones!" "I don't think so, roll off! 4+ to get both saves?" "But I have the rulebook right here..." "NO WAY man, you're slowing down the game! It says to just roll off in these situations!"

etc., etc... And god help you if the rule actually is a more complex one. Its like he's trying to justify cheating by saying its a "4+" to do it. It makes it very tempting to try and play it back at him, ala:

"My LRBT Tank Shocks your Monolith. Its instantly blown away, cause I have a bulldozer. Oh, that's not how it works? Roll off! 4+ to instagib the Monolith!"

But then I would feel bad, lol.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 06:20 PM

MyI)arkness's Flag is: Albania

that roll off stuff sounds ridiculous..:D

I dont think questioning every move and whining about bad luck is cheating though, unless they do that every game, but then again he might just be not very fond of rules and wants to make sure stuff is right, or the guy is sensitive/nervous and cant take a few bad rolls.

One thing i experienced, was when my enemy had to roll some Critical invus. he had to roll 2 but rolled 3, all of them failing, so he said he will reroll and made both saves. I figured id be pesky and made him take the first two dice that fell out of his hand first time xD, he might have very easily just accepted rolls if they favored him.

Otherwise you need to go to spectators so that cheater will get bored to run around alone in server.

Nothing better for a true heretic like me, than winning a 1500 battle using my slaanesh force with no lash and achieving these results against crimson fists:
Noise marines losses: 9 dead marines, daemon prince 3 wounds.
Crimson fists losses: 10 stern guard, 30 tactical marines, 2 dreadnoughts, dead Imperiums hero Kantor and 4 drop pods put out of functioning.

Rate my fucking cat.

Last edited by MyI)arkness; 02-16-10 at 06:27 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 12:15 AM

another thing I experienced is when there was my command squad, which had colonel straken in it, and they were in close combat with a venerable dreadnaught which had been destroyed but had hit at the same time as straken. So we were allocating wounds when he said that upgrade characters counted as independant characters for the case of close combat.

I knew it wasn't and eventually I got the rule book and found out that it was wrong. He immediately went and said that we had to redo the combat and before I knew it he was re-rolling the dice and I went along with it.

is that counted as cheating, because I think it is
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 12:34 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Quote:

6. Your opponent picks up their hits instead of their misses.
- It took me a little bit to get this one. If your opponent rolls 200 dice for attacks and picks up their hits, they can pick up extra dice that are "Hits" and you won't know any better. When we roll dice we are supposed to remove t he missed ones. It actually states that in the rules.
This isn't always cheating. I do it when the number of success' is significantly less than the number of fails, like when rolling 6+'s.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 12:38 AM

I agree with that, I always pick up my hits instead of misses
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Lord_Skoll View Post
This isn't always cheating. I do it when the number of success' is significantly less than the number of fails, like when rolling 6+'s.
As per the rules you pick up and remove your misses. To pick up hits and leave misses on the table allows you to grab extra dice that "Hit" (ones that really missed) because your opponent cannot see into your hand or directly beneath it.

As per rules you have to pick up and discard your misses leaving the hits for your opponent to view before you proceed.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 02:39 AM

VanitusMalus's Flag is: Australia

I bought every codex because of one form of cheating. Basically your opponent (sometimes simply because he's doing terribly) starts "misinterupting" or even creating special rules for units or models during the game. I had this happene so many times against various players I just bought everyone's codex and started getting a basic understanding of what armies I would be facing. Note the surprise on many a mug when I corrected them during play on their own army.

Now agreed this isn't always cheating because some newbies just don't know, BUT if you've been playing this army for years and the codex has been out for more than a year you should know better (3+ invul save on a unit because some special character joined them with a 3+ invul, get the flip out of here!).

Another one I use to hate that I'm so glad the rulebook cleared up, the pile in. I actually use to play a tyranid player who would simply "dump" his horde units on top of your unit, thus distorting the lines of who could fight and who couldn't. When pulled up on it, he would simply say "oh they're all in combat anyway, what does it matter?". When I'm facing a horde of genestealers against my guard unit it matters a helluva a lot.

Last edited by VanitusMalus; 02-17-10 at 02:42 AM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 03:40 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
As per the rules you pick up and remove your misses. To pick up hits and leave misses on the table allows you to grab extra dice that "Hit" (ones that really missed) because your opponent cannot see into your hand or directly beneath it.

As per rules you have to pick up and discard your misses leaving the hits for your opponent to view before you proceed.
I don't have my rulebook on me, can you give me a page for the quote so I can check it out?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode