Chaos Daemons, Pink Horrors? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Chaos Daemons, Pink Horrors?

Okay so i bought some pink horrors, threw them at some plague marines, and to my surprise i only dropped one guy with 30 shots. I figure that they aren't supposed to be thrown at plague marines, but what should i throw them at(figuratively speaking of course)? what gives me the most bang for my buck is what im saying i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 10:31 AM

Pink Horrors are fantastic, their 4+ invulnerable save makes them surprisingly resilant. I use them in units of 9, dropping them down fairly close to the enemy. They work best against things like Nid's etc, they can even throw the occasional wound on their MC's. They work against Nid's because really the only way they have to remove them is close assault which leaves them open to the counter charge. Against everything else they give you volume of shots which should be enough to get some results.

Plague Marines are probably their worst target, on average a unit of 9 will do 0.75 wounds, weak. Their main use is annoyance, blazing away widely and drawing fire from the rest of your army as you close to assault.

Aramoro
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 10:52 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Best targets: IG troops, most eldar and Tau fire warriors/auxillaries, smaller Tyranid bugs. Anything with a 4+ or worse save, and lowish toughness. That will usually net you a kill per horror, which isn't too shabby.

Ok targets: Power armoured guys, (especially with T4) anyone with a cover save. Usually it'll get you about a kill per 4 horrors vs. power armour, kill per 2 horrors against a 4+ cover save. getting a little shabby, 4 horrors to kill a marine per turn. Still, if you're firing for a few turns, that can really cut into enemies.

Worst targets: Things with FNP, 2+ armour saves, or high T and good armour. Marine bikers, terminators, plague marines, larger Nid bugs. Don't even bother shooting at Nob Bikers.

So, work on taking out your best targets. Against marines, a herald can help, the AP3 makes all the difference. Against Plague marines, there are better things to take them out with, because they'll laugh off warpfire most of the time.

Hope that helps

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 10:55 AM

Pretty much what Maddermax said. Things like nids, orks and guard troops work best. They're most effective against light-medium level infantry. That unit of 9 which kills 0.75 plague marines will shoot down 9 gaunts or 6.75 orks.

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 11:26 AM

One thing to remember is they're not going to be amazingly devastating, what they are is hard to shift, annoying units that your opponent has to deal with because they're troops. Use them to harass and harry your enemy, they're awful in close combat so your opponent might try charging them which is what you want, then you can counter charge.

Aramoro
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 11:38 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

They have S4 AP4 shooting.. which means they work best against people with a 4+ save and T3-4. If you have 2+ 3+ or FNP enemies then horrors arent going to do much against them, but thats what flamers are for (unit of 3 flamers DSs close to plaguemarines in the open then the CSM player will be lucky to have a couple left standing).

Best target for horrors are most eldar infantry, ard boyz (gotta thank ork players that spend poitns for no extra protection from your shooting) and fire warriors. If you have given a horror bolt of tzeentch then nids in general and raveners/warriors in particular become supurb targets.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 05:26 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Maddermax pretty much nailed it. Plague Marines aren't a great target for Horrors. Go after softer infantry instead if any exist.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys, Thank you so much, this does help out alot
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-10, 11:15 PM

Forty Three's Flag is: Denmark

what was said above about them being very annoying but also being troops is their greatest strength. the 4+ invulnerable does make them very survivable, and I've actually used my horrors in close combat lately (against tau my squad of horrors assaulted 3 times and they were great for swamping dreadnoughts too).

I think the best way to look at them is as a support unit. They can do many things but should also be seen as expendable, you can whittle down units, kill horde, swamp MCs or walkers, capture objectives in conjunction with PBs, and so on. Just don't rely on them to be solely responsible for any of these tasks.

In my army I find they work very well for adding redundancy and providing more targets to the opponent so your nastier more specialized units live to do their job.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-10, 01:13 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Everyone's saying they are surviveable, they aren't really. Once there in combat, they crumble. Quite quickly actually.

On the turn they first come down, they are in a blast marker formation. If they don't waste a turn shooting, its easy to wipe out half the unit with one shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode