Lootas! whats the deal? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
lordbadger's Flag is: England

Default Lootas! whats the deal?

Evening people.

after reading some of the ork lists, with responses, i have noticed that Ork lootas seem to be rather popular. i dont see the appeal. i have had nothing but dissapointment when using them. they can only be taken in smallish units so run away very easily, there unpredictable nature of rate of fire prevents effective target selection and they cannot take character upgrades that benefits the unit.

Saying this however if taken in a shooty Battlewagon they do become more survivable.

Now this may just be me, but if any one has any thoughts please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 09:00 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

As soon as you find a unit in the Ork codex with better long ranged anti-tank capacity and survivability, you let me know.

Personally, my lootas almost always perform to my satisfaction. As long as there are MCs or AV 12 or lower vehicles or other long-ranged targets of opportunity, they support an Ork horde army really well. They're not as necessary in a mechanized list since that army type can strike earlier.

They don't necessarily kill an amount of points equal to theirs, but they provide a much-needed service by killing transports, daemon princes, etc., that let the rest of the army perform better, and they do it on turn 1 from across the board, something that can't be said for any other Ork anti-tank except a kannon battery, which is even more vulnerable (and 36" is nowhere near as nice as 48".) 15 lootas in cover is fairly hard to budge with a horde breathing down your neck, mine almost never die or are even shot at.

Your other ranged options are kannon batteries (aforementioned), tankbustas (have to get much closer, can't just hang out in cover, have a rule that makes them retarded, don't kill AV 12 or less as well), rokkits in boyz mobs (bad idea, you want your shootas shooting at infantry and your sluggas running), or deffkoptas (vulnerable to assault, have to get comparatively close and thus take time and get closer to standard weaponry that kills them well.)

Last edited by Culler; 02-14-10 at 09:04 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
lordbadger's Flag is: England

i absolutly agree about the kannons and tankbustas. if i didnt have the forge world models for 2 batteries of kannon, i wouldnt use them, and tankbustas have never appealed, mainly due to the 'retarded' rule that makes them pointless.

i think the major problem is that i run with two or three battlewagons supported by shoota boyz, dreadz and killa kanz.

what size unit would you recommend?

regards

the lord of badgers

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-10, 11:24 PM
silentbob's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbadger View Post
i absolutly agree about the kannons and tankbustas. if i didnt have the forge world models for 2 batteries of kannon, i wouldnt use them, and tankbustas have never appealed, mainly due to the 'retarded' rule that makes them pointless.

i think the major problem is that i run with two or three battlewagons supported by shoota boyz, dreadz and killa kanz.

regards

the lord of badgers

imo deffcopas work if you take 4-5 and out flank with thim with t/l rokkets your hiting side or rear arm of tanks i do this as a mek player. and i run alot of killakans with rokkets the bs3 is sweet. i never do it in less im playing mek eldear but a grat way to use tankbustas is to put thim in a looted wagon with just r/pain and a wep just max out the mob.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 04:51 AM

Try at least two units of 15 and see what happens :D Stick em in some cover and blast away. Your boyz will be happy with the amount of targets your lootas gave them :D
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 06:12 AM

buckythefly's Flag is: USA

My Lootas have almost always earned their points back. Put them on cover, and let them fire at whatever is armor 12 or less, or, use them in what I like to call "operation meat shield" and put them behind a squad of shoota boyz big enough to provide them a meat shield against them getting shot to pieces.

Although, points are probably better spent on something else in large scale games in my opinion...

I'm all for playing this game, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

~Someday I'll play 7th Edition ~
0 Win 0 Losses 0 Draws
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler View Post
As soon as you find a unit in the Ork codex with better long ranged anti-tank capacity and survivability, you let me know.
Mek with Shokk Attack Gun?

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 07:04 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
Mek with Shokk Attack Gun?
He's got a single shot, which is an average strength 7 shot (same as loota's), which has the same chance as hitting as a loota (though it's a blast, you have to remember that if it scatters off a vehicle, you only get half the strength of the shot, which is usually useless against vehicles).

Loota's usually get more shots and you can get 6 of them for the same price as a mek w/SAG. All those extra shots makes them far more reliable against transports and lighter vehicles . Save your SAG for taking out TEQ infantry, rather than using it against vehicles. Sure, lootas are mostly useless against AV14, but then again, so is the SAG most of the time.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 11:18 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
Sure, lootas are mostly useless against AV14
Nope. They're ENTIRELY useless!

But that's what your S10 Warboss with 5 Klaw attacks is doing, right?

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-10, 02:04 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbadger View Post
Always units of 15 where possible. For a mechanized army, I'd say they probably don't belong under 1500 points, are a maybe up to 2000, and a single unit is recommended but not necessary at 2500 (in a battlewagon.) For a horde army they're pretty much required at 1000 or above, 2 units once you approach or exceed 2000.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode