Do you powerfist your tac squads? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Othiem's Flag is: USA

Default Do you powerfist your tac squads?

Powerfists for tac squads? I thought that using them would be a no-brainer, but I'm not so sure anymore. On the one hand, it gives the squad a lot more versatility what is what tacs are all about. On the other hand, it's an expensive upgrade to a unit that I don't really want to be in CC that often, and could just give the sarge melta bombs if I was worried about being tied down by dreads and kans. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 10:08 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Yes, oh dear god yes.

Try getting stuck in melee with a dreadnought or a Wraithlord once, and just watching your men DO NOTHING, until they all die.

That and knocking out tanks is a bonus

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 10:15 PM

MJayC50's Flag is: United Kingdom

As a rule, which i have adhered to since the start of 4th edition. if you have the option of getting a power fist or anything double strength into a squad then do it. might not be worthwhile for guard but there you go, i dont play guard. Its not just tanks or dreads you have to worry about. its the wounding where the fist comes into its own. if you hit with a fist your going to wound aswell (well, 1in6) power weapons you dont. sure u get 4 attacks. 2 hit 1 wound by my math. fist either 1 or 2 hits so that 1 or 2 wounds. so you get a better chnance to hurt meq. that combined with being able to hurt vehicles, mc and dreads reliably. by taking meltabombs your not really doing anything other than hurting tanks that you can hit with the nade. dreads you need a 6 to place it on the walker so its not going to do that much to stop your guys dying horribly in the claws of a big dead rust bucket... always always always take a fist.

As for the statement that hes a pussy in close combat... ignore that. He shreds things. Nothing with Str 10, 5 attacks that ignore invunerable saves should be called a pussy. - JackalMJ

*** Oxford Gaming Club Blog ***

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 10:24 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Always hitting back armour with S8 is nice.
Able to get 3 attacks instead of 1 against Dreads is nice.
Able to instant-kill any T4 creature (SM Characters, Nid Warriors etc) is nice.
Able to ignore FnP and Armour Saves is nice.

That's an awful lot of nice for 25pts in my mind. Totally worth it. Especially when the alternative is to pay 10pts and only get the last ability.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Yes, oh dear god yes.

Try getting stuck in melee with a dreadnought or a Wraithlord once, and just watching your men DO NOTHING, until they all die.

That and knocking out tanks is a bonus
Well actually models can use grenades and bombs against dreadnoughts. They no longer have to wait for them to be immobilized.

That being siad, I advocate using a powerfist in every squad, tac or otherwise. Yes, watching a Tac squad die slowly to a Wraithlord really sux. However the real reason I love them so much is that 5th promotes more assaulting multiple units. It is fun to watch an assault squad (or Tac squad) with Powerfist assault a unit of enemy troops and an enemy tank at the same time.

I once had a 10 man assault squad (with Powerfist) assault a space wolf blood claw squad and a lascannon predator. The powerfist tore open the predator while the assault squad tore up the blood claws.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 10:36 PM

MJayC50's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
I once had a 10 man assault squad (with Powerfist) assault a space wolf blood claw squad and a lascannon predator. The powerfist tore open the predator while the assault squad tore up the blood claws.
that, my friend, is the name of the game! a perfect reason i cant believe i didnt think of in my 1st post considering i do it all the time... hell its a great use of thunderwolf cavalry! 5 wolfves, 3 dead rhino's, 1 turn. lol.
and no, next turn they were fine(ly spread on the floor)

As for the statement that hes a pussy in close combat... ignore that. He shreds things. Nothing with Str 10, 5 attacks that ignore invunerable saves should be called a pussy. - JackalMJ

*** Oxford Gaming Club Blog ***
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 11:42 PM

any tactician will tell you that powerfists add more tactical value to a tactical unit such as tactical squads (sorry i counlt resist)
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 12:18 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

depends, power weapons look better, and there not as embarrassing when power fisting someones rear

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 01:16 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

I have always used power fists there always worth the points, just think if you destroy a dread or something like that then your fist has made the points back, power weapons are good vsing guard or eldar where there low Str doesn't matter

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJayC50 View Post
that, my friend, is the name of the game! a perfect reason i cant believe i didnt think of in my 1st post considering i do it all the time... hell its a great use of thunderwolf cavalry! 5 wolfves, 3 dead rhino's, 1 turn. lol.
and no, next turn they were fine(ly spread on the floor)
You're welcome. Playing Blood Angels I require even more tactical flexibility from my units of troops than most armies. I look for multiple assault opportunities from my squads to get at armor.

I love the look on opponent's faces when I say, "I'm going to multiple assault your unit and tank".

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode