Taking down the Horde - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-10, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

melsaphim's Flag is: England

Taking down the Horde

Hi guys, i'm going up against my mates ork 40k army in the next few days and could really do with some help on tactics to use against him with my chaos army. I've done the modelling and painting side of 40k for years but am only recently starting to play games (recently meaning my first game ever was yesterday)

I know he has big mek with KFF, boyz nobz with power klaws, trukks bikes and some kans and big guns but thats the limit of my knowledge really and he says hes got suprises in store for me.

I have access to possessed, zerkers, a rhino, CSMs with various special weapons a lord/sorceror and some bikers oh and a spawn.

We will be playing 400-600pt battles with no real FOC or such depending on how we feel at the time. I would really apreciate any tips on what units work best against what units and the tactics you would employ with these units in a game. I'm not only new to gaming with 40k i'm new to chaos so the expert tricks you've developed playing the legions of heresy elude me for now.

Any help would be really appreciated

cheers

"Shadows cannot hide you, for you are hunted by angels"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-10, 10:34 PM

Jackinator's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm not really an expert on Chaos and I'm only a recent convert to Orks but I'll do my best.

Right, I'd probably avoid the possessed, their high points cost and random abilities make them a bit of a no go versus orks, especially at low points levels. Next I would definately recommend Berzerkers, large numbers of high strength attacks are very handy against large mobs of Orks. After that I'd just go with as many men as you can get into the list, take some Meltas so you can kill any vehicles and operate on the principle of your guys are better than his. Sorry if this isn't helpful. Good luck.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-10, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I was deffinately taking my 8 bezerkers into battle as that unit worked wonders for me in my first game which was against orks slaughtering 18 with only 4 losses.

Thanks for the tip on the possessed i was going to think about taking them through love of the models but will reconsider now.

Would a unit of 10 CSM with heavy bolter and melta be good??
And a rhino with havok launcher for either of the above units??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-10, 11:26 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Its general principal that its better to have 2 of the same special weapon in CSM units on 10 models. It both gets better chance of 1 hit and lets it stay mobile since no gun is heavy.

If you only have 1 Rhino then the Berzerkers should have it. If you have 2 then give both units 1

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-10, 12:00 AM

Havoc launchers are great vs horde, and you should give the rhino to your zerks. As for special weapons, meltas are perfect for vehicle killing. Combine this with a sorcerer with lash to move the footsloggers away (or closer to your zerks) and you should be fine.

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-10, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

If i loose the power weapon i have enough for a havok launcher on the rhino and a melta with the CSM in a 400pt match (the rhino will go to the zerkers for deffinate)

As for a sorceror i will deffinately try one out in the larger battles as i'd be unable points wise to field one in the 400pts limit

cheers

on a side note i am unable to field 2 meltas or 2 flamers in the CSM squad as i only have the models for 1 of each (am unsure wether my mate will allow me to proxy a flamer as melta or melta as flamer ill have to check)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-10, 07:31 AM

Asmodeun's Flag is: Australia

I'd probably be opposed in this position, but if you give the lord MoK and a demon weapon you'll have a man that can kill an ork mob n his own, five times out of six.

Blueberry coffee tastes as good as it sounds.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-10, 12:56 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeun View Post
I'd probably be opposed in this position, but if you give the lord MoK and a demon weapon you'll have a man that can kill an ork mob n his own, five times out of six.
You bet your ass you will

MoK Daemon Weapon fails 11/36, not 1/6, almost twice as often. Its also only S4 meaning ½ of all hits fail to wound. Its the skuck!

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-10, 05:30 PM

Ferik's Flag is: Canada

Yep as a Marine player the first thing that popped into my head when I heard about the new Nids was Sternguard with combi-flamers and using hellfire rounds they'll be able to take care of any beastie that comes there way.

Honour Guard are also really good at taking down the big and slow Nids but Stealers do own them soo a situational choice I guess.

Vulkan list should do well especially if flamer and melta heavy.

My Tac squads usually have meltagun, missile Launcher, powerfist and combi-flamer so they should be all set as is.

I also have a thing for speeders with mm & hf and dreadnaughts with mm & hf both of which have made swarm nids very wary.

Libbies I agree will be useful as well even if just for the hood but if you can ista gak a fex all the better.

Vindicators will also be useful as well as the whirlwind for obvious reasons.

TH/ss termies will also be good for tying up the big uglies and keeping them from wrecking havoc with the rest of the army.

Still all in all not going to be easy to stop them (always did have proplems with heavy fex list before) but not impossible.

Anyways my 2 cents

After a long campain behind enemy lines Brother Sergeant Telion was put under Chapter scrutiny to test the purity of mind and body.
During his final interview he was asked "do you feel anything when you kill a Heritic".
He simply shrugged and replied "A slight recoil"
The interview finished shortly after.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-10, 03:39 AM

Ferik, you do know that this thread isn't for loyalists, right?

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode