What are YOU doing? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Default What are YOU doing?

Well, what are you doing?

"About what?" you ask.

Why, about the new Tyranids, of course!

Everybody that hasn't been living under a rock the past few months knows that the Great Devourer is on its way to tabletops near you and is due to arrive early this month. For those of us that aren't planning to play the big nasty bugs, what are your plans to deal with all this rumored nastiness?

For those that don't keep up with the rumor mill, I'll summarize what we can expect to see.

- Cheaper Gaunts. Not too much cheaper, mind you. I'm talking about five points per model before upgrades, slightly more in the case of Hormagaunts. Anyone that's ever faced down an Imperial Guard army knows how many models one can afford to field when each man your opponent loses hurts less than it hurts you to cut your hair. Now imagine that in the place of Guardsmen, we're talking about fast moving gribblies with potent short-ranged weaponry, looking to tie your units up in close combat long enough for the more deadly fighters in the army to arrive.

- Lots of Monstrous Creatures. So many people (myself included) were under the impression that the infamous Nidzilla-style Tyranid list was nearing the end of its lifespan. Unfortunately for us, this isn't the case. While we'll probably see less Carnifexes than before, you can bet your behind that they'll be replaced by even more deadly Hive Tyrants, as well as some all new monsters in the forms of the Trygon, Mawloc, Tervigon, Tyrranofex, etc. I don't have the space to detail each of them here, but I can say that the new Tyranids are absolutely spoiled for Monstrous choices.

- Medium ones that don't suck. Yup, that's right kids. Tyranid Warriors with 3 wounds apiece (and as Troops!). Cheaper Lictors, Zoanthropes and Raveners. Basically, all the medium-sized Nids available before are back with a vengeance, and in most cases cost even less points.

So I ask you, the loyal members of Heresy. What are you doing to survive?

Katie D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 12:55 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
Well, what are you doing?

"About what?" you ask.

Why, about the new Tyranids, of course!

Everybody that hasn't been living under a rock the past few months knows that the Great Devourer is on its way to tabletops near you and is due to arrive early this month. For those of us that aren't planning to play the big nasty bugs, what are your plans to deal with all this rumored nastiness?

For those that don't keep up with the rumor mill, I'll summarize what we can expect to see.

- Cheaper Gaunts. Not too much cheaper, mind you. I'm talking about five points per model before upgrades, slightly more in the case of Hormagaunts. Anyone that's ever faced down an Imperial Guard army knows how many models one can afford to field when each man your opponent loses hurts less than it hurts you to cut your hair. Now imagine that in the place of Guardsmen, we're talking about fast moving gribblies with potent short-ranged weaponry, looking to tie your units up in close combat long enough for the more deadly fighters in the army to arrive.

- Lots of Monstrous Creatures. So many people (myself included) were under the impression that the infamous Nidzilla-style Tyranid list was nearing the end of its lifespan. Unfortunately for us, this isn't the case. While we'll probably see less Carnifexes than before, you can bet your behind that they'll be replaced by even more deadly Hive Tyrants, as well as some all new monsters in the forms of the Trygon, Mawloc, Tervigon, Tyrranofex, etc. I don't have the space to detail each of them here, but I can say that the new Tyranids are absolutely spoiled for Monstrous choices.

- Medium ones that don't suck. Yup, that's right kids. Tyranid Warriors with 3 wounds apiece (and as Troops!). Cheaper Lictors, Zoanthropes and Raveners. Basically, all the medium-sized Nids available before are back with a vengeance, and in most cases cost even less points.

So I ask you, the loyal members of Heresy. What are you doing to survive?

Katie D
Pre-ordering.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 12:56 AM

It's a tricky one really.

My Eldar (Dire avenger heavy) Shouldn't suffer to much. I have enough decent anti-infatry fire-power, and multiple Catapults will harm an MC eventually. Yriel and various heavy weapons take up the role of anti-MC. I'm mobile enough to dictate how my opponent moves. So, should be ok.

My Night lords are at risk of being swamped. So the Dual lord with Twin claws may make a re-appearance. I'm not gonna bother with lash and fighting tyranid MCs head on with dual princes. Might have to dig out the handful of flamer equipped models and grab some more Berzerkers. Plenty of melta to bag a big Nid at close range and enough powerfists spread around. Again, overall problem is being swamped, so the Dakka pred may make a return too.

My Tau are Crisis suit heavy, we're talking 15 of the fuckers in 1500 points here. So not to worried overall. 8 of which have Firestorm layout, and one of my Shas'Os sports a Burst cannon and CIB. The other 5 6 Suits are geared up with Fusions or/aswell as Plasma rifles for Anti-MC. Only change I may make is to squeeze another Hammer head in and drop my Devilfish. More Fire warriors is also a necessity. Kroot will never make an appearance. as if a Nid gets within 6" then My suits and Hammers have already failed and its curtains for me.

My DE may have to recruit some more Wyches. As Incubi are overkill against to majority of Nids and to easily killed by the rest to justify there whoppng 25 points a model. Archon will be tip top at toppling MCs, as he still has his almighty 2+ inv save against them. Agonisers and Poisoned blades are already aplenty. And I've got 15 Dark lances + 3 Dizzys + 7 Splinter cannons + 7 blasters in my 2k force. May have to get out the old FW raven to harry the bigger nids, but we'll see. The fact everything in this army is mounted on some kind of flying machine means we are pretty tight against the Nid hordes.

Overall my 4 armies aren't to worried. I feel that Nob biker lists and Dual lash + 9 oblit lists may finally have an opponent they struggle against.

Space marine players shouldnt worry, as on paper, bother sternguard and LotD look very good against Nids, and it wont be long to till GW give you a new character/unit that rapes tyranids 4 times over in a minute. And of course, the brand new space puppies can just swallow any big nid/unit with that Jaws of the world wolf or whatever its called. So no space marine player needs to worry, gw will give you the advantage on a plate some how ;)

Another army that I dont think will struggle with the new nids is Necrons. Get 2 - 3 units of Crons, along side 1 - 2 units of Immortails all stood around a Monolith and a Lord with a Ressurection orb and watch as your undead machines scythe down anything that gets within 24". Destroyers are going to be flying murder against Nids.

Last edited by Orochi; 01-03-10 at 12:58 AM.

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 01:24 AM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

From Tau PoV Im thinking about actually starting to test out Helios teams for real now. I have toyed with them 3 games, but Im wondering if its not worth having them as an 'El with bodyguards instead now, makes them actually hit...

A Heatwave team is also on the testing run. 2 Twin Flamers and 2 Gun Drones for 85 pts sounds like interesting to me

Flechette Dischargers have been "close to mandatory" in my eyes a while now, I think this is the nail that seals the coffin

For my Emperors Children, well, my Noise Marines just got a lot more worth their points

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 01:37 AM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

If the mixed style of Nids I usually fight doesn't change too much I'll be find. Even if there aren't many more monstrous creatures, since they are going up in points, I should be able to handle Nidzilla pretty well with Tau. The marines I'm building should eat the Nid menace for breakfast with twin inked flamers and meltas.

The only thing I'm worried about is mass deep strikes as I've never faced an army with that ability to get in my face that quickly. Nids in pods and blood angels are the two armies that make me really worry.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 01:53 AM

Lord_Murdock's Flag is: Canada

Personally, I'm taking my lootas off the shelf, and maybe making another squad of 15. The way I see it, even a horde or Tyranids will have a hard time making it through 15-30 Deffguns and a Shokk Attack Gun, in addition to the other heavy ordnance my Orks have to offer. Really, my strategy will be to shoot them full of holes before they get to me, then unleash the (mega)nobz at whatever's left!

A good strategy? Probably not. In all seriousness, it probably won't work. But hey, I've had a lot of success with things that should have by all means been doomed to failure in the past, so I just might again.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 02:40 AM

randys_s13's Flag is: USA

Wait until people get bored of them and start playing there marines again. No but seriously I might get to play some new armies that want to get in as close and fast as I do. So basicly get stuck in and pray to khorne I do more damage.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 03:02 AM

Widowmaker666's Flag is: USA

Stocking up on pesticide

Fuck the Meta-game
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 03:06 AM

Devinstater's Flag is: Canada

Well, My tact squad loadout will change. I usualy run one Melta Tact squad, MG + MM, changing that to flamer. Might drop a Dreadnought since all MC's get melta rolls against armour and run a unit a regular Terminators w/ CML and librarian for HQ.

1-2-3-4 Imperial Marine Corp.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 01-03-10, 03:14 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

If the rumours are true, then the new Gaunts are 1 point cheaper, but lose Re-roll to Wound and Move Through Cover. To me, that makes them less attractrive.

The new Montrous Creatures are all expensive, so while there may be bigger critters, I think we'll be seeing less of them in a single list and with the loss of Without Numbers, more points must be spent on Troops to get some decent scoring lists.

I think in the current Mech enviroment, Nids might just have an edge, in that melta weapondary is not all that effective, being so short-ranged. People load up with Meltas and Plasmas over Flamers, which means that unless people change their lists out of fear of the new nids, most all-comer armies will struggle getting the kills they need on the hordes. After a while, I see a couple of flamers creeping into all-comers lists once again, creating more balanced lists.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode