Space Marine Review: The Hunter Killer Missile - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Default Space Marine Review: The Hunter Killer Missile

Happy New Year everyone. I've decided as part of the new year to post a series of discussions here on various units or upgrades. Just a general place to discuss and review units. I'm focusing on Space Marines because thats my new army and fully encourage others to focus on other races in other topics.

Todays topic is "The Hunter Seeker" missle. I've looked at this upgrade for vechiles and tried to bend my mind into ways to use it. I actually quiet like the look of the model itself, a missle launcher mounted on my Rhino looks pretty cool, but sadly I consider this a waste of points.

For those unfamilar with it its an unlimited range, one use, Krak missle for 10 points. 10 points seems pretty damn high for a one shot missle launcher. Its problem is that its barely strong enough to hurt transports, has a so so chance against a dreadnaught and doesnt seem worth firing into a squad of MEQs.

All in all I'd say its a waste of points and not worth taking... but what if...

Stick one on a land raider, one on each of your two dreadnaughts (for example) and two on your Rhino's. Thats 5 unlimited range missles. On round one you could unleash a barrage on your enemies transports, or some heavy weapons squad for example that would normally be out of you range. Could give you an advantage.

So, whats your views and opinons on this upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 09:38 AM

NagashKhemmler's Flag is: Australia

Worthwhile on certain AT platforms as they increase your shooting in a turn by a marked amount, enough sometimes to make a difference, often not. I take them with my guard on vanquishers, due to the bs4 and +1 to penetration, not on any other vehicles.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 11:04 AM
Sytus's Flag is: Ireland

It adds firepower to a vehicle with very little in the way of shooting(rhino), so that' something.

Dub-Hammer,Wargaming For The Emerald Isle![/B]

Clicky-click!...please.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 11:39 AM

If I played space marines I'd chuck 'em on my rhinos, flank the opponant on either side then fire at their vehicles' side armour.

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 12:03 PM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

It's Hunter-Killer missile, not Hunter Seeker.

It's an extra weapon that has to be destroyed in order to stop your tank firing (if unfired).
Just like that second storm bolter on a rhino.

Can SM dreads take HKs? (I know the ironclad can take 2 of them, and GK dreads can).

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-10, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagashKhemmler View Post
Worthwhile on certain AT platforms as they increase your shooting in a turn by a marked amount, enough sometimes to make a difference, often not. I take them with my guard on vanquishers, due to the bs4 and +1 to penetration, not on any other vehicles.
Interesting, is this +1 penetration a bonus from the vanquisher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuzaki View Post
If I played space marines I'd chuck 'em on my rhinos, flank the opponant on either side then fire at their vehicles' side armour.
This is an idea i've been toying with myself. Right now my Rhino's have stormbolters on them.. cause their cheap and something with armor might as well have at least one gun. I've toyed with the idea though of doing somehting similar to what you say. Drive a terminator filled land raider down the middle and Rhinos off to either side to get troops to objects/quartesr. As a bonus, shot hunter seekers at side armor.

Like I side, I love the look of it mounted on a rhino's roof but 20 pts is a lot to just waste.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-10, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
It's Hunter-Killer missile, not Hunter Seeker.

It's an extra weapon that has to be destroyed in order to stop your tank firing (if unfired).
Just like that second storm bolter on a rhino.

Can SM dreads take HKs? (I know the ironclad can take 2 of them, and GK dreads can).
Your right of course, I dont know where i got Hunter Seeker from. Thats a good point to its an extra weapon to be destroyed before the tank goes boom, but how often does that really come into play and is it worth the 10 points?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-10, 11:19 AM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

don't think of them as individual weapons, ask yourself instead, "is it worth 90 pts to take out a predator/leman russ/whatever tank"

so on a tank heavy army, it's worth taking as many as you can.

individually? I'm not so sure.

Last edited by torealis; 01-02-10 at 11:22 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-10, 03:05 PM

njfed's Flag is: USA

I run an IC dread with HK and Melta in a drop pod. That HK has saved my ass a few times when the melta misses.

As for taking five of them for a first turn HK spamfest, think about how nice it would work against Eldar vehicles or bigger bugs.

Yes, I will be using the lash on that unit again so I may touch your models a second time.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-02-10, 03:25 PM

FORTHELION's Flag is: Ireland

i have 2 on my ironclad i blew up my my brothers predator first shot and also took out 3 of his combat squad behind it in the explosion so all in all 10 points well spent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode