Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Know thy enemy.

12K views 63 replies 44 participants last post by  spanner94ezekiel 
#1 ·
just thought id start a thread discussing general tactics and facts about different armies.
it would have really helped me in the early years. it also slightly annoys me when you fight someone and they don't have the vaguest idea about what they are facing. so, post things you know about armies you play with and/or against (obvious or not).
i'll start:

DA have deathwing terminators as troops when they have a certain charcter present.

DA can have bikes as troops if they have a certain character present.

BA have assault marines as troops.

don't split up you army against eldar.

NEVER let eldar banshees charge you (they fight at initiative 10)

don't deep strike near an inquisitor with mystics

thats all i can be bothered remembering for now

See less See more
#2 ·
Thou shalt not underestimate Assault Terminators, for thine arse shall be raept by their Thunder Hammers

Thou shalt not assume that one rapid firing squad in thine army is enough.

Thou shalt not underestimate the Rune Priest's power to cancel thy own.

Thou shalt not underestimate Logan Grimnar, for he is asskickery incarnate.

Thou shalt not leave home without Obliterators, for even though they reeketh of cheddar, they areth the very best thine Heavy Support haveth to offer.

Thou shalt not look down upon Gift of Chaos, for there is nothing like a Necron Lord on a Destroyer Body becoming a pile of violent goo. (I speaketh from experience)

Thou shalt not assume that the Leman Russes are the greatest threat in the IG army. Their heavy weapons and command squads are key.

Thou shalt not assume that you need only kill a squad of Gaunts once, for they are Without Number; consequently, your Heavy Bolter and Demolisher Cannon rounds must be without number also.

Thou shalt not become a crybaby when the Gods turn their gaze away from you and thou rolleth ones like they areth earning thou money. Thou shalt acccept thine defeat and implore the Gods that they may go easy on thine arse next time.

I guess thats all the wisdom I can think of right now. I wish I knew all this before I learned them the hard way. :p

#4 ·
NEVER let eldar banshees charge you (they fight at initiative 10)
First round of combat it says, they don't have to charge you for it to work.

In other news.

When an AP2 weapon will only double the chance of the enemy failing their save, shoot it at something else.

Spread your units around, or you will be covered in pie.

Korothis has +rep.

Dark Eldar are fast, try to shoot them.

Tyranids are numerous, run.

Orks are green, give them something for nausea.

#5 ·
First round of combat it says, they don't have to charge you for it to work.

In other news.

When an AP2 weapon will only double the chance of the enemy failing their save, shoot it at something else.

Spread your units around, or you will be covered in pie.

Korothis has +rep.

Dark Eldar are fast, try to shoot them.

Tyranids are numerous, run.

Orks are green, give them something for nausea.
:laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::):laugh:

Okay, okay, I'm going to sleep now... :alcoholic:

#6 ·
If you've shot a unit of 10 bloodletters down to 5, keep shooting them (5 blodletters on the charge = 6-7 dead marines)

Take lash of submission, you'll thank me later

No, your master of the ordinance won't hit anything with his pie plates

Don't try and out shoot Tau. It won't work

Don't fire a frag missile at space marines when you can use krak

Crack and krak are two seperate things (though both can be deadly children)

#9 ·
Guess we're settled on whats for breakfast then. :)

Another thing that came to my mind this morning was that you shouldn't underestimate simple SM Terminators either. Same goes for Assault Cannons.

Oh, and more importantly:

Thou shalt not leave thine Daemon Prince alone to face a squad of Genestealers, for he shall be torn apart, literally. (Happened to me once; though thats the only thing my opponent could kill or even do damage to, and I wiped him out by turn 5 :grin:)

#10 ·
big tip, getting pissy when the enemy has a speccy rule in black and white that absolutely rapes you, learn from it and play to accomadate for it next time

on a completely different topic, expect something to be thrown at you when you charge someone with a 10 man death company and a chaplain without them knowing what death company are

#12 ·
According to the good ol' urban dictionary, speccy is "A footy mark where you springboard off the other players back to catch the ball."

That'd be one kickass rule...

#13 ·
Ok on the real the best advice I can give any player is BUY EVERY CODEX. True this is costly BUT if you own every codex and really get in there and study it, nothing will surprise you when facing any enemy. I don't know how many times during 3rd and 4th edition I actually had to correct people about rules from their own codex (Kharn has a 3+ Invul save, pffft whatever). Eventhough many of us are fair and balanced (laugh) you do get the occasional "pulling the wool over your head" sort of player. Know thine enemies codex, for it shall set you free.

#15 ·
Thou shalt not leave any tau unmobile... if you do they will be ripped to tiny shreads

Thou shalt not do a happy dance at thy opponents misfortune

If thou opponent hath mechanized his army thou must ensure that he is walking for as long as possible

Thou shalt not shoot hammerheads with lascannons but thou shalt run up or drop in and use thy melta or thy powerfist/ claw

Disruption pods are still the best 5 points you will ever spend

Thou must understand that thy large blast marker isn't large enough :cray:

The one certainty in warhammer is the dice will fail you when you need them most.. thus twin link your weaponry if possible

Thou must remember that space wolves are not only better than you they are a fuck load cooler than you (can also be summarized as long fangs mean your tanks are in trouble)

Thou must remember that your ork trukk does not come with a guarantee of safe delivery... AV10 is paper thin to most anti tank guns... be sensible take a battle wagon and a bigger mob

Thou must understand that strength 10 ap 1 is gonna fuck your tanks up bad unless you get him first

Thou must understand that the thunderfire cannon is a one hit wonder and will be dead by turn 2

Most important: Concentrate your fire

#16 ·
KHORNE BERZEKER TACTICS

Unless you're gonna give'em a rhino,don't give khorne berzekers a khorne chaos space marine lord with them, for that wont be very effective !
khorne berzekers are already strong enought on their own... BUT NEVER ASSAULT ASSAULT TERMINATORS with them if you have less than 10 guys: shoot them instead !
their bolt pistols are better than they seem.

#17 ·
^That reminds me:

Thou shalt not underestimate Bolt Pistols, for they are the surprise harbingers of DOOM.

Thou shalt not Infiltrate thine Chosen, for they are best when Outflanking. Their five Meltas will surely ask for thine patron deity's whereabouts in a most violent fashion.

Plus underline everything what deathbringer said, its pure wisdom and lol.

#18 ·
Thou shalt attacketh tau in close combat

If thou art playing Tau then thou shalt not fight others in close combat

Tactical marines kicketh ass in close combat if Pedro Kantor is nearby

Thou shalt giveth thine troops transports

Thou shalt not take a normal space marine chaplain but thous shalt take Chaplain Cassius for he is two timeth the asskiteth of a normal chaplain for only 25 points more.

Thou shalt remember to take cover

Thou shalt not forget thine smoke launchers

#19 ·
eldar tanks (especially wave serpents) are a lot tougher then they seem.
use a powerfist, though they are hard to catch, try and intercept them when they are dropping off men

#20 ·
if you play tau... do what they do best and shoot!!!, ive seen quite a few newb tau players run into close combat, what dicks, best chance is to leave the unit thats getting attacked and run in the oppisite direction, then shoot the enemy

Hammerheads are good

Crisis suits are good

markerlights are good

#22 ·
Beware the Assault Cannon with rending. For if the Emperor favors the enemy, it can take out a Land Raider.
must you rub in what happened to my last game!

Thou shalt not under estimate deep striking flamers
Thou shalt not forget to use numbers to his advantage
Thou shalt not charge a brood lord if he is with a full squad of genestealers no matter what your charging with (xept maby storm shield units) abbadon, a greater daemon and a squad of zerkers lost combat to them (tho abbadon only rolled crap) :angry:

#30 ·
unless you play orks cause you have so many guys it doesnt matter anymore lol

#27 · (Edited)
Thou shalt not underestimate two guys with storm bolters, for they are the luckiest unit thou will ever take and will make tactical squads turn into kill points

Thou shalt make sure thou's deavs/LFs are hidden from thine opponents equivalent on turn 1, or they will runneth off the boardeth with thine talismans between thine legs

Thou shalt not deepstrike large units near thine opponents vindicator, for thine arses will be rapethed by it's pie-plate

Thou shalt not throw a fit when thou fucks up and forgets to move, for it is incredibly immature and will make thine opponent resent thee

Thou shalt not run Ragnar into a squad with a powerfist, for he doust not haveth eternal warrior and shall become the worst 240 points thou ever spent

Thou shalt not assault Ragnar Blackmane with thou's Special character, for unless it is Abbadon thou shalt get thine arse rapethed

Thou shalt not forget that thou's drop-pod can scatter off the board and blow up with thou's 400 points of WG and character

Thou shalt not borrow thine opponents dice, for if thou doust thine shall roll more ones than thou ever has before, as their dice doust not liketh thee

Well that's all I can think of for now, hope my shakespearen wasn't to bad

#29 · (Edited)
Thou shall never underestimate Plasma Gun in the hands of Plague Marines, for thou has toasted many of tanks and monsterous creatures.

Thou shall use Noise Marines against Tyranids as much as possible.

Thou shall not underestimate Lesser Daemons, for thy are one of the only, if not THE only unit in the game that can assault the turn thy deep strikes.

Thou shall avoid consulting the "Ref" dice, for thy enemy whilst attempt such rule arguements again hoping for another 50/50 chance at getting what he wants.

Thou shall always remember that thy Vindicators are high risk units. Sometimes thy Vindicator betrays thy army one turn, then next turn saves thy game. Don't ever give up on thy Vindicators.

Thou shall always remember that 95% of Tau die instantly with S8 hits. Killing thy enemies Tau Crisis HQ turn one with one shot is possible. I HAST DONE IT! :mrgreen:

Thou shall destroy as many fast and far moving units before thy games end draws near, for thy objectives can be contested by such units.

Thou have problems prioritizing targets, then thou shall target what can be destroyed. Exception, all thy enemies vehicles stunned for one turn is still very good.

Thou have problems prioritizing Tyranid targets, all thy players do.......I think.... Attempt to destroy thy enemies synapse or go for the destruction of one unit at a time while thy units run from bigger bugs. Tyranid hast no vehicular objects to fall back on when target prioritizing.....shoot what can be destroyed

Thou shall trust their instincts in team play, for your partner does not know thy army as thy does (Dont ever listen to a teammate who tells you to charge 4 Berzerkers into a squad of 8 Genestealers hoping to stall them from charging Broadsides in the opponents next turn instead of running the Berzerkers behind a squad of Plague Marines for counter assault :ireful2:)

#31 ·
Thou shalt not cheat in games, for if thy are caught though shalt never get another game

Thou shalt remember thy unit's limits, 3 berzerkers shall not take out a 10 man tactical squad and live to capture the objective

Thou shalt remember thy scoring units, for it is they who win 2/3 of missions

Thou shalt remember if thy loses, 'tis the dice that hath been at fault and not thou's skills at the game

Thou shalt take melta bombs, for if thy opponant hath taken a land raider in a 1000pt game, thou shalt be screwed otherwise

Thou shalt place thy objectives halfway up the building, for if it is too low, it shall be contested and if too high thy opponant's jump infantry shall steal it

thou shalt remember lash princes are beatable, thou just has to shoot it

thou shalt not comment on other people's games, for if thy do thou's next opponant shalt be assisted likewise

Yes, thou's obliteraters are equipt to take out that target

#35 ·
Thou shalt take melta bombs, for if thy opponant hath taken a land raider in a 1000pt game, thou shalt be screwed otherwise

thou shalt remember lash princes are beatable, thou just has to shoot it
Except if thou art the darkest of eldar bretheren then landraiders in 1000pts are screwethed

Lash princes art thou beatable in close assaulteth if thou art a dark bretheren dracon or archon :p

#32 ·
thou shalt not underestimate the true lord of chaos, Abbadon. :p

#34 ·
Thou shalt not use Abaddon to kill assualt terminators; their storm shields shall make them all but impervius while their thunder hammers shall turn him into a thin paste.

Thou shalt use Adaddon to assualt anything else, for surely the opponant is screwed.

Thou shalt use Abaddon to gain access to the best chaos formations.

Thou shalt not use Abaddon in 1000pt games, it's just not worth it.

#36 ·
thou shalt not underestimate harlequins. just shoot the f*** out of them.
thou shalt not convince thyself that a lictor can destroy an avatar of khaine. because it just cant.

and most imprortantly:

guardians vs. gaunts = :suicide:
harleys vs. gaunts = :suicide:
anything in the entire eldar book vs. gaunts = :suicide:

YOU CANT WIN!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.