necrons in need of dire help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-09, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Andevard's Flag is: USA

Default necrons in need of dire help

alright so i always play my friends who are CC freaks..
i'm looking for some type of strategy to be able to beat them in close combat.. we usually do 1500 or 2000 pt games..
usually what i do is gear up my necron lord with a destroyer body,warscythe, and res orb and take him with a squad of pariahs to counter their CC guys
my monolith usually sits around their guys.. particle whipping everything it can practically.. and i shoot stuff.. what am i doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-09, 02:01 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

First, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can beat a close combat oriented army at its own game. The best you're going to be able to do is take a ton of Destroyers and shoot the living hell out of things before they get close. Immortals can do this job too.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-09, 09:24 AM

Sebi's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
First, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can beat a close combat oriented army at its own game. The best you're going to be able to do is take a ton of Destroyers and shoot the living hell out of things before they get close. Immortals can do this job too.
exactly what he said

we have absolutly no chance as Necron against a "normal" CC army and even less against a specialiced CC-List

I once was forced to handle a SW list and got caught in CC and it was pure luck my Warriors survived 2 rounds as I passed all LD tests (which were around 8 ... lucky me)

If you really want to take the challange your best bet would be a
nightbringer
flayed ones
Wraiths
a Desi-Lord with Scythe

and Scarabs as Blocker

honestly ... shoot em down ... thats what Necrons are best at ... don't try to keep up with 5the Edition CC armies as our Skills in this area is screwed
the stability the WBB and our good Armour offers is worthless when being mowed down in a sweeping advance

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-09, 04:09 PM

Pirate Metal Troy's Flag is: Canada

Scarabs are awesome. Plant a conga line of scarabs in front of your guys. They don't provide cover, so you can shoot over top of them, without risk of getting assaulted. Destroyers are awesome in full squads, and if he;s running a lot of CC, the destroyers will probably get away with harassing them all day long.

Veil of Darkness. This little doo-dad will save your ass. especially with a big fat squad of immortals. just keep bouncing around the board unloading 20 shots at a time into his models.

Scarabs form a defense wall in front of your warriors, who pull the usual phalanx bullshit, aided by your little scarab shield. When he kills the scarabs (hopefully on his turn) he'll get left standing around like tool. In eihter case, use the time bought by the scarabs wisely and get out of charge range, wait till he breaks combat, and unload on him with everything. Scarabs will rack up an impressive amount of hits and wounds in close combat if you get the charge, and at 3 wounds a piece, can be hard to take down with good rolls. When you factor in the fact that they move 12", and can turbo-boost, they're a steal for 12 points a model. one squad of 10 should do the trick. The little bastards are fearless to boot. So no sweeping advances.

Use that monolith to cycle your warriors and give them a longer life. If you can't keep a res-orb close, then you may be in for trouble. Being able to teleport your warriors out of close combat with the monolith will save you as well. You can only move one unit per turn, but if you've timed it right, that'll save most of that squad from dying a horrible death in CC, and get you another turn of shooting.

Lord, res orb, veil of darkness

10 immortals

10 warriors
10 warriors

10 scarabs
5 destroyers
5 destroyers

Monolith

that's 1495, and if you're hurting for more warriors, you can try dropping the monolith. I've never used one, personally, but it seems like it'd be a tough nut to crack. Just use stall tactics to rack up as many turns of rapid fire as you possibly can.

Overlap your fire and try to drop your target entirely before moving onto the next. Another good tactic is a 20-man warrior squad teleporting with the veil of darkness. It's 40 shots of rapid fire, res orb protected, troops scoring goodness.

It's always fun to plan your turns just right and end up with the "hammer" (very last turn) and your veiler still alive next to a troop choice. This give you the ability (scatter dice willing) to grab a last second objective, or teleport to the other side of the board and wipe out the last 3 models of a broken unit to grab one final kill point in annihilation.

Same goes for the monolith. You can teleport any "necron" 18" at the start of your turn, if you park the fat bastard on an objective and use it's teleport move to spit them out on the objective and grab a win, then it's a good times all around.

Don't forget that the scarabs (if they live, which is unlikely) can turbo-boost, as well as the destroyers, which makes for a few angry faces when you swoop in to contest an objective at the last moment.

That's about all I have for advice. Best of luck.

Thousand Sons: 5W - 2L - 0T
Emperor's Children: 7W - 1L - 1T
Necrons: 1W - 2L - 1T
Salamanders: 3W - 1L - 1T
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-09, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Andevard's Flag is: USA

thanks!!
i have a game soon so hopefully this will help me kill those nasty 'nids.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-09, 08:21 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Metal Troy View Post
Scarabs are awesome. Plant a conga line of scarabs in front of your guys. They don't provide cover, so you can shoot over top of them, without risk of getting assaulted.
Almost total rubbish- this will work for destroyers since they are much higher then the scarabs but normal warrior sized infantry will give away cover when shooting through swarms- the rule stops MC/vehicles getting cover behind swarms (managing to hide 50% of either would be something to see) but nothing else... nids will still love you for giving their front rank a cover save (though any decent nid player should have 90% of his army in cover anyway).

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-22-09, 09:44 PM

jesse's Flag is: USA

Pirate Metal Troy summed it up pretty much to a tee.
shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot.
win

a skulltower is just one of those things.
and like all other things in life you have to respect it.
or it will f**k your s**t up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I suppose it may be to do with Slaanesh's themes, after all horrific rape, incest and perversion among other things can be viewed as weird by others.

Personally I like Slaanesh, I find his followers interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Nurgle for life!
*makes vague attempt at gang sign sort of thing before giving up and going back to making more Nurgle stuff*
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 01:17 AM

Daneel2.0's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Pirate Metal Troy summed it up pretty much to a tee.
shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot.
win
consider yourself sig'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
[Necrons]shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot. win
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 08:32 AM

Sebi's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Almost total rubbish- this will work for destroyers since they are much higher then the scarabs but normal warrior sized infantry will give away cover when shooting through swarms- the rule stops MC/vehicles getting cover behind swarms (managing to hide 50% of either would be something to see) but nothing else... nids will still love you for giving their front rank a cover save (though any decent nid player should have 90% of his army in cover anyway).
in fact the Cover rule works in advance of the player placinf smaller units in front of the firing unit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "BRB p21 upper right
If a target is partially hidden from the firerís view by
other models, it receives a 4+ cover save in the same
way as if it was behind terrain.
so if anything of my NEcron warriors is blocked by a swarm I very well get 4+ cover

and as the cover is determined from the view of the firer it might very well happen that thw smaller unit that grants me cover does not grant your unit cover I am firing on

best example is the well known Gaunt shield or the Gretchin shield:
though the Tyra Zoa is "covered" by gauts its "viewing" point is so high any target it fires on will never get cover from the gaunts
same with Gretchin:
my Boyz and Nobz are big enough to see over the gretchin but will get cover as even if the slightes part of the model is covered by a gretchin blocking your LoS ... by RAW it gets cover.

long story short ...
Scarabswarms give cover esspecially if built as indended but do not block the LoS of the Warriors so the Warriors in most cases get cover.

Of course this is a very shacky problem and resolving the cover-situation is very hard as you have to count the models that are "covered" by swarms or Gretchinand then compare it with the Models further back in the target unit that are not covered ... but for ten Warriors I see no problem:
S = Scarab
W = Warrior

_S_S_S_S_S_S_S_
WWWWWWWWWW (unit 1)
WWWWWWWWWW (unit 2)

as you can see this 7 scarabs can provide cover very easily for the forst unit of warriors the following get theirs from the warriors in front of them ... now if you shift each warrior of unit 2 slightly left or right so that their LoS is not blocked by unit 1 and so again ... they might get very well cover but their LoS is not blocked so you don't get cover for them shooting through unit 1

it is cheesy somehow but very well legal
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 09:28 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Necrons don't really need many tactics: shoot stuff until it is dead and try not to get assaulted. It works for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode