necrons in need of dire help - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 09:44 AM

Sebi's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
Necrons don't really need many tactics: shoot stuff until it is dead and try not to get assaulted. It works for me.
yeah ... but not getting assaulted is sometimes rather tricky when you consider Jumpmarines, Stormboyz Drop pods and fast transpot vehicles ... so I really like the idea of setting up my troops so that the enemy has no chance getting at my warriors and has to take out the cheaper Scarabs first

Anyway .... there are some possibilities to get out of CC alive as long as you don't have bad luck

the few times I was caught I survided luckily with passing my Ld tests and then pulling my warriors out with a Mono or a VoD .... anyway getting caught in CC was those time a fatal misstake by myself so you are right in a general way:
Shoot'n'scoot Kill'n'win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 09:47 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Oh no sebi, not that again- we've had a thread on just when swarms give cover or not ... you can argue they dont get in the way of LoS but its a pretty dodgy argument unless there is some kind of slope involved.
and FYI- its in the same way as area terrain... so you need 50% of your unit to be behind the interviening unit to be able to claim a cover save

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 10:03 AM

Pirate Metal Troy's Flag is: Canada

Ohshit! You guys are right. Scarabs do provide cover, just not to monstrous creatures. I read the swarms rule wrong.

Thousand Sons: 5W - 2L - 0T
Emperor's Children: 7W - 1L - 1T
Necrons: 1W - 2L - 1T
Salamanders: 3W - 1L - 1T

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 11:23 AM

I see no point to argue about the rules are clear in this case as I quoted them

it gets shacky as soon as you have a larger unit behind the "screen" and then it is argueable but in my example there is no doubt - RAW the Warriors behind the Scarabs get cover (as long as you donÄt built the bases so low that nothing of the warrior is covered)

But you're right this is not the right place to discuss this matter.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-23-09, 04:19 PM

Logyn's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
best example is the well known Gaunt shield or the Gretchin shield:
though the Tyra Zoa is "covered" by gauts its "viewing" point is so high any target it fires on will never get cover from the gaunts
actually, the zoanthrope's target gets a cover save too. the "view", or true los rule only applies to MC's and vehicles. any infantry model simply counts anything between them and their target as an intervening unit and therefore grants a 4+ cover save. The rules on cover in 5th edition are "deliberately generous," to quote the BRB, and swarms are still intervening models.

EDIT: didn't see 2nd page, sorry

You won't like me when I'm angry. Or bored. Or hungry. Or awake.

Last edited by Logyn; 10-23-09 at 04:40 PM.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-09, 08:51 PM

sorry to bring it up again but you're wrong I am afraid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB p16
Line of sight must be traced from the eyes of the firing
model
to any part of the body of at least one of the
models in the target unit (for ‘body’ we mean its head,
torso, legs and arms)
thats the reason why some people built their Fire warriors to crouch or lie to be able to fire through under the Tau skimmer tanks
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-09, 10:47 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Which is also against the rules- you arent allowed to re-model your units just to get a gaming advantage (its in the BRB but I cant find where). Any of my models that are converted to be kneeling or taller then normal the LoS to and from then should be worked out as if they were standing in a normal pose.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-09, 11:50 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

Back onto the Necrons...

An interesting build is one filled with Wraiths, with a Destroyer Lord with a warscythe and rez orb flying with them with a Monolith in tow.

That Wraith Squad is ROCK hard to bring down, 3+ In with a double WBB? Thats insane... And they're bound to thin the attacks back against them with the I6m S6 and 4 attacks on the charge. While the warcythe can cut through pretty much anything.

Being Jetbikes means they'll close for assault pretty quickly and are a great means of contesting objectives towards the end of a game

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 10:56 AM

Don't overrate the Wraith ... I have played them several times now in the combination you describe and often they were simply shot down with lots of fire so that no wraith was left for a WBB roll ... sometimes stupidity I admit but often concentrated fire of the opponent as they really are afraid of this unit caused by the stats you quote

so I really rather take 4-5 scarab bases as guards of the destroyerlord and let him do the dirty work ... the wraith are for me not the ideal choice ...
of course in lots of terrain like CoD or when we play a mission with it the wraiths are simply priceless as they move through anything without being stopped by anything and they have grenades etc ....
S6 with high ini combined with the lord is good ... but please keep the costs in mind and don't overrate this unit
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-09, 11:24 AM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

You mean like your overrating a T3 swarm with a 5+ save and no Necron special rule?

You must be damn unlucky to lose 3 Units of Wraiths a turn, thats 9 3+ Inv saves with a double WBB.

And I wasn't overrating, I've used and seen this army in action and when used well its been pretty devastating every time, with the ability to move through terrain its not too hard to stay out of small arms fire. It certainly isn't invincible, but should be considered more than your putting it down

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode