Against...Dual Orbital Bombs - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-09, 11:45 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not sure that's viable Lawrence...the Chapter Masters probably cost <150 each, so they're only 300 points or so of the list. Coming in all in Reserve leaves 1200 to kill your dribs and drabs.

*Cough cough, didn't say anything stupid here cough*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 01:45 AM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

Erm... 2 chapter masters... erm... *raises an eyebrow* I doubt thats legal...

Dude, you have the most powerful gun in the bloody game! Rip the LR to pieces with railguns then shoot with all your might at the survivors. Offense is the best defense they say.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 03:07 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Yeah look, I think your best option is:

When they get out to get ready for it, charge them.
You won't do much damage, they'll do heaps, but you'll delay them.

If his retinue is packed with TH/SS termies, then you can't do SHIT to them.
You're best off shooting them with FW, and charging with Kroot, that'll get the volume of wounds you need to fuck them up, and if you pin them ALL THE BETTER!

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 03:13 AM

Tigirus's Flag is: Canada

best thing to do, and I've had this use on me.... is drones.
Drop them from your piranhas, devilish, whatever. Best thing about
them is that their guns are pinning and that they are free.

Try firing at them, if they're pinned perfect, wait and then shoot
them again next turn. He can't fire orbital bombardments if he's pinned.

If you don't pin them, charge. It may seem like suicide
(which it is) but this allows you to stop them from firing
for a short while and best yet the drones are free so no loss.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigirus View Post
best thing to do, and I've had this use on me.... is drones.
Drop them from your piranhas, devilish, whatever. Best thing about
them is that their guns are pinning and that they are free.

Try firing at them, if they're pinned perfect, wait and then shoot
them again next turn. He can't fire orbital bombardments if he's pinned.

If you don't pin them, charge. It may seem like suicide
(which it is) but this allows you to stop them from firing
for a short while and best yet the drones are free so no loss.
Unless you're playing Annihilation, in which case the Drones are a major kick in the nuts.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 05:36 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorothis View Post
Erm... 2 chapter masters... erm... *raises an eyebrow* I doubt thats legal...
actualy it is, and they are slightly cheaper than TheKingElessar stated. they have the same stats as a captain, so i assume they are just advanced captains who can call down an orbital strike once a game.

literly, with the captain you are paying an extra 25pts for a captian who can call an orbital strike.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 05:48 PM

There have been a few good suggestions here. I'd like to add though, that a really good check of the rules would also be a good idea.

I can't really see how this is working so well. They may not use their orbital bombardment on the turn they get out of their land raider, or from inside the land raider. They can't use it if in cc. So instead of having the tank drive up and the guys inside assault, you have to drive up, waste a turn (during which you may assault a unit), then shoot it next turn and not assault. Of course, you can only fire once.

Personally I think this is bizarre. He's buying a land raider, terminator assault squad and 2 chapter masters for 2 ordnance shots. Why the hell not just buy a vindicator that can fire each turn without crippling the assault terminators? Why not just let the termies go on their own and smack the tau around the place? These guys come in over 700 points, all deployed in one tank at the start. I don't see how this could possibly be good unless something is being done wrongly. Is he firing after moving, firing and then assaulting or firing more than once? Maybe he has the scatter rules wrong, as it's hardly accurate. Even with 2 hits it shouldn't be possible to come near 700 points worth of damage.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

Yeah, I played this guy yesterday and his tactics have changed. For a while he did start out his chapter master and Pedro in the LRC, but after I reminded him of the rules for disembarking he now starts them behind it, out of LOS from my army. Turn one he drops the bombs, turn two they embark, join the terminators and the LRC races forward toward my line. Sorry about not accurately portraying the problem the first time. It's a good strategy, I'm just trying to figure out how to beat it. I might just reserve everything and deep strike on him if he waits for my army to show up.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 06:13 PM

Edit: Curse my slow typing combined with a long post.

If I remember right, I think he typically runs the two masters and TH/SS termies in a Crusader, some foot slogging tac squads, and some ML Devastators.

What if you use a Shas'el with a relay like you did the last time I faced you? However, keep everything else in reserve. Do a modified ninja Tau list.

Place the Shas'el with a relay and shield gen. in cover or out of range of his Devastator squads if possible.

If he uses the bombs at the start, hopefully you can pass the invul save to keep the commander. If you fail the save, at least the only thing it took out was one suit. At best, he uses both on the Shas'el and he passes both.

If the commander survives to turn 2, I'd use the relay to bring on a railhead. I'm not entirely sure, but the railhead with a Disruption Pod will get the obscured cover save if he tries to bomb it. You can start using its range to take some pot shots at the LR to strand his CC Termies or take out a handful of marines. Another riskier choice would be bringing in the TL fusion team to take out the LR, but they could scatter too far away and then just be obliterated.

In turn 3, if he has used both of his bombs, I'd probably just roll like normal for the rest of the reserves. With your greater range and mobility, you can hopefully send fish towards any objectives while taking pot shots at his troops. You could use the relay again if you wanted. (Maybe for pathfinders in their fish. They can deploy in cover to be ready to help the rest of your army coming on next turn, and the fish will be able to be used next turn to help any deepstriking suits.)

Here's my thinking:

Keeping your army in reserve forces him to think about when and where to use his bombs. Since his masters must not move and cannot be in the LR in order to use it, his most obvious and easiest time to use it is the first turn; he can deploy his masters near the LR, drop the bombs, then hop in next turn. With one model to drop the bombs on, he must decided between the two following options.

If he uses them first turn, he can use the bombs to try and kill the Shas'el. (Which may cause your army to come in piecemeal). This hurts you less than he might hope because you have more transports, JSJ, and typically longer range. Plus, this means that one or both of his bombs went towards killing one model.

If he doesn't use them first turn, he can keep his masters standing still to use the bombs at any time, but that means that their cc abilities are wasted.

He can also have them get in the LR and advance. This makes it difficult for him to use the bomb for the rest of the game (since they basically stand still for two turns). Since your army is in reserve, they can try to stay far away from the LR so you have more time to destroy/immobilize it.

This can be more of a gamble, but I think it could work. It forces him to guess what you will be doing while you get to respond to the decisions he makes.

Hopefully I can watch the next time you face him.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-09, 10:38 PM

Listen to papa_funk, that's some great advice.
Turn 2, he's say, used one big bomb in an attempt to kill the commander, and failed.
2+ roll to bring on a Hammerhead with Railgun, you get it in, use some markerlight drones from the commander on the Land Raider, hit on a 2+, good chance to SERIOUSLY cripple the core of his forces.

So yeah, Shas'el (all you need), positional relay, 2 markerlight drones, shield generator, and a gun I guess (missile pod, old faithful).
Use your army right and you'll screw him over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode