Harlequins Use? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Harlequins Use?

ok, i play eldar and have the new codex and all, but i still dont really understand the place of the harlequins. i havent even really thought about using them, but obv some ppl do. i was wondering what their place is in the army exactly and why youd take them over an aspect warrior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 07:00 PM

Basically they can run around unharmed due to veil of tears which gives them an average spotting distance of 14"=charge range, with multiple kisses they rip the crap out of Just about anything. Tornado's and similar mobile multishot units should cause them a problem or two though.

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 08:13 PM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

Harlequins are amazing CC units.

Just don't leave them out in the open too long. They will get shot to pieces.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 02:45 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

They're there to tear through Space Marines a heck of a lot faster than Striking Scorpions or Howling Banshees possibly can. Scorpions have close combat weapons, and Banshees are S3... but strength and the weapon itself is meaningless when the attack is rending. The Harlequins give you defense against heavily-armoured, tough opponents in close combat.

Admittedly, they can handle anything that Striking Scorpions can as well, but they're definitely better against power-armoured foes than the close combat Aspects for the most part.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 04:35 PM

Harlequins are a fabulous Counterattack for your shooty eldar force.

Keep them centered within your firebase, dont allow any transports to get close enough to drop troops and rapid fire on them, they are a BIG target for this. They have to be protected until its time for them to pounce and get the enemy off of your guys.

I've heard people whine about how useless the Death Jester is, this is just wrong. Harlequins should NOT be charging across the table. Veil of tears is nice but a single squad getting close somehow and rapid firing will kill the harlequins dead. Even if they are toting along a Farseer that Fortunes them, even this isnt protection enough for 18-22+ pt models. If you want to be offensive with them, for pete's sake stick them in a falcon. Otherwise, have them sit back and let the Death Jester shoot adding to your crazy firepower. They will fight in HtH soon enough.

As a counterattack unit, they are one of the scariest units in the game. Everyone is afraid of Genestealers, now the eldar have a unit that is worse. They cant be shot at at range, the best spotting distance a unit can roll to see them is 12" after rolling boxcars. Indirect or 'guess' range weapons cant even shoot at them, period. No extra dice for deviation, simply "cannot shoot if not within spotting distance". (excluding, a minelaying Whirlwind, which targets the ground)

If you will look, the only unit that really compares to them in the codex are the Howling Banshees, for Close combat scariness. Banshees are a bit more offensive though and are better suited (largly due to their transport option) for a more 'in your face' set of tactics. They are a bit, just a small bit, sturdier against enemy shooting and hth hits. Thanx to the Veil though, the Harlequins are Obviously suited more to hanging back. If an enemy sees banshees or even scorpions sitting back waiting to counterattack his main charge on your forces he might be inclined to blast them with heavy bolters or an ordinance shot to lessen your chances of fighting him off. Those aspects are made more for offensive tactics than defensive ones, like the harlequins are suited for.

I for one cant wait for the new models to come out. My eldar list is total firepower superiority, and I'm waiting for the harlequins to come out to complete my counterattack against HtH armies. I refuse to proxy or buy the older models as the newer ones are so nice. Try the Harlies the way I described above and I'm sure you'll find they're worth every point.

"I'd much rather see you on my side than scattered into....atoms." Emperor Ming

www.40kwreckingcrew.aceboard.com
www.cityofhate-deadshane.blogspot.com
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

good points, honestly i havent looked through them thoroughly but they are kinda odd in my opinion but sound like they may make a very nice addition in my army.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-07, 09:33 AM

I see the points for sitting back with the Harlequins, but disagree with them. A troupe should ALWAYS move up with another stronger unit. Either Banshees for the hitting power, or Scorpions for the staying power(preferable). Both should assault at the same time using the Furiousness of the Troupe, then leave combat with the Harlequins at the end, hiding behind the assault.

With boxcars the enemy can see them at 24", not 12", from how I read the rules. So using the assault with the better-save scorpions would be choice to hide behind, as you have a greater chance of survival over banshee saves. Even better would be to back up those Harlies with Jain-Zar in their midst for the first wave. Always keep the scorpions between the harlies and the enemy when not charging.

They are a 100% light assault unit that needs a heavier assault unit to lead them. They pack a major punch on the charge, so use hit n run ALOT and keep em out of range and LOS.

-Khaine-
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-07, 11:20 AM

Yea, the 12" rulesquote was wrong on my part. (I post most of the time after work and am tired.) 14" is the average distance rolled against veil and is well within charge range for the harlies.

"I'd much rather see you on my side than scattered into....atoms." Emperor Ming

www.40kwreckingcrew.aceboard.com
www.cityofhate-deadshane.blogspot.com
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-07, 03:18 PM

Quote:
14" is the average distance rolled against veil and is well within charge range for the harlies.
Sorry to be pedantic, but its outside their charge range unless they roll a 2 or more likely 3+ for fleet. Getting that close with foot-slogging harlies is a dangerous game, a good Veil roll can leave them in all sorts of rapid fire problems.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-07, 04:23 PM

dude harlies are to eldar as genestealers are to nids. Amazing CC units with power to take down even te toughest of targets through rending.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode