Tau Crisis Suit choices. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 09:10 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

My favorite config is the fireknife, though deathrain is my #2. Deathrain is great for long range shooty death against pretty much anything, but especially light vehicles, MCs like the DP or Greater Daemon, and bikers.

Other crisis configs I use or have considered using or are popular:

-Helios (plasma rifle, fusion blaster, and multitracker). Good for anti-TEQ and vehicle but only effective at short range, a critically flawed shortcoming for a crisis suit. Handy for when terminators deepstrike and force you to use short range. I think it was mentioned but it's important to say what it does well. Its short range makes it a little impotent against space marines. I'd take the missile pod that can be fired for 2 or 3 more rounds than the fusion blaster any day against marines.

-Sunstriker (Shas'vre, airbursting fragmentation projector, twin-linked fusion blaster, monat). A single suicidal suit to deepstrike dangerously close to a tank or infantry squad in cover and blow them out. Add shield drones for greater survivability. HW multitracker adds a little extra punch when killing infantry. This configuration can also be used with a flamer instead of the frag projector. Excels at killing light infantry in cover and tanks, but relies on deepstriking to get dangerously close. Best used if you've got a pathfinder unit in your army (for the little extra deepstrike insurance). Fair risk for big reward.

General configuration advice:
-Having a team leader is incredibly worth it because it lets you take a bonding knife (required kit for suit teams since they have so few members and not fantastic Ld). They also let you take a hard-wired drone controller and 2 shield drones. Also required kit IMO.
-2 shield drones are required kit for crisis suits because otherwise, meltas, missiles, or any anti-tank weapon really will take out a 50pt+ model in one shot. Adding 2 shield drones is a 30pt investment that significantly increases the resilience of a 180pt unit. That's 2 extra wounds for anti-infantry fire and 2 invuln saves to throw at anti-tank weaponry. The best part is that if you fail an invuln save all you lose is a 15pt shield drone whose purpose is to die to that stuff anyhow as opposed to if you had shield generators on your crisis suits themselves (thereby making it so you lose your suit if you fail the save).
-Any other kinds of drones are a no-no for crisis suits. They drop the toughness of the squad and you don't get to pick which models (suits or drones) make the saves. If you want to load up on gun drones to make a unit that can pour out str 5 ap 5 shots, take a stealth team. They do it much better.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 10:03 PM

foulacy's Flag is: England

Location: Middlesbrough, Teeside, Cleveland, England, Europe, Earth

I would agree that the Fireknife/Deathrain are the best suits.

I am not a big fan of the fusion blaster (if im thinking of the right one) as you will most likely have broadsides or a hammerhead for the tank hunting.

"Look upon me and know that i can slay you at will, you have no defense save one: to look into the darkness at the back of your mind. There you will find Father Nurgle waiting to offer you life in return of your submission. Deny him and you are mine."
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-26-08, 10:38 PM

I dont know what it was, but it scared the crap out of me... the suit had a melta and 2 missile shots. It came in right behind my Prism and blew the mother back to the warp...

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-27-08, 12:17 AM

I no alot of people said not to use flamers. But they are there for a purpose.
The reason is that tau have a lot of trouble deeling with cover, mainly due to the fact that they can`t fight in melee (and kroot don`t count). So those eldar pathfinders or imperial ratlings tend to get annoying. What the flamer is there for is to knock out thinkgs in cover, and they can do it fairly quickly cnsidering that any unit that is good in cover normally have a low save and toughness.

Also, I love the fusion guns. I know that alot of people say just use rail guns, but fact of the matter is everyone says to use rail giuns on everything, and truth be told, u don`t have enough rail guns to go after the terminators, the crusaders, the predators and any other "big" target. Also against vehicles behind terrain the fusion gun is a life saver (basalisk anyone?). And with a plasma cannon, this conbo really wreacks through terminators, especially with markerlights.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-08, 02:25 AM

marcch's Flag is: Canada

Default Tau Crisis Suits

I have played Tau for a few years now, mostly against MEQ armies with a heavy terminator slant for deep striking onto the objectives. In an attempt to evolve a solution to this threat I have begun to use very basic suits with a twin linked weapon system depending on the particular target. Plasma rifles for MEQ types, burst cannon for IG types, and fusion blasters for terminators and HQ units. True you do have to get close but suits do have an assault move to put a little distance between you both. In addition I always use gun drone units as a spoiler unit if possible. These guys are cheap, can keep up, force target priority tests, may possibly force pinning tests, and can block direct assaults on your suits. I will use a heavy gun drone unit with burst cannons (especially against IG types) as they are quite effective for a round or two. I have a terminator hunting team of fusion blasters usually coupled with a drone unit. All suit teams have shield drones as they are the best way to keep your teams alive. Remember... close combat is never a good thing for Tau so back off every chance you get.

If your plan seems to be working...something's wrong
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-08, 03:13 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

In my limited experience playing the Tau, the two Suit configurations that stand out most to me are the Fireknife (plasma and missile pod) and Deathrain (twin-linked missile pod and TA) types. I'll typically take 2 units of 2 Deathrains and a pair of Shas'els equipped as Fireknives as their high BS makes those plasma shots really count.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-08, 02:59 AM

I agree the best type of crisis suit is a fireknife with target array to hit 50% of the time, and dont forget too put them behind cover and jump them in and out of sight of enemys.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-08, 03:16 AM

Culler's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelkiller View Post
I agree the best type of crisis suit is a fireknife with target array to hit 50% of the time, and dont forget too put them behind cover and jump them in and out of sight of enemys.
They can't have targeting arrays and multitrackers if they have plasma rifles and missile pods unless they're Shas'vre, and if they did have targeting arrays then they'd hit 66% of the time.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-08, 04:35 AM

or make them team leaders then they are cheaper then shas'vre
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-08, 04:52 PM

wait wiat .... you can make a whole sqaud teaam leaders ??? :?????? Com again is this true??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode