Soul Grinders: yay or nay? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Soul Grinders: yay or nay?

I remember talk in the past about whether soul grinders are a viable choice given their enormous point size and relatively puny BS. Any changes of heart?

Given the new rules on blast and template markers, I'm tempted to say they have a new life in 5th ed., but perhaps the more experienced Chaos Daemon players would care to enlighten us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 01:49 PM

I'm not a daemon player, nor familiar with their rules, however, imho any unit that can lay down a big nasty pie plate is always usefull to keep around. In case you need to soften up the enemy so you can reach him.

TKE's NTGU Brigade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
Einar is right.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitor Einar View Post
I'm not a daemon player, nor familiar with their rules, however, imho any unit that can lay down a big nasty pie plate is always usefull to keep around. In case you need to soften up the enemy so you can reach him.
Useful, yes, but the crux of the debate was 'necessary'. Do you need them or no. With full upgrades, they push 200 pts a pop. Without, they're still triple digit.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 02:59 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

All you really need is Phlegm. that's 160pts - I'd hardly call that a massive point sink, I'd call it an amazing bargain.

Why would you take tongue as well? Phlegm isn't really going to work on heavy tanks and when its 50% chance its going to miss...

Definitely a Yay on my part, maybe even yay times three.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 03:42 PM

Critta's Flag is: United Kingdom

Bearing in mind that the cost CH just listed is only 10pts more than a minimum cost defiler, I'd say that's not half bad
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-09, 10:59 PM

Dallas_Drake's Flag is: Yugoslavia

Nay.

For the simple reason that they're hard to keep out of LOS & a lucky Lascannon can end a Grinders day before it's even joined the fun, a Daemon Prince on the other hand would simply take a wound (if it failed its 5++ that is).

Also, I think they're weak fluff & look crap. Nurgle Daemon Princes all the way.

Last edited by Dallas_Drake; 05-11-09 at 11:01 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 01:06 AM

From vs experience, Soul Grinders love eating infantry. You want to drop those plates, to kill what you can then try to run down the enemy with its hand to hand potential. AV 13 is tough enough to keep most high STR shot damage to a minimal.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styro-J View Post
From vs experience, Soul Grinders love eating infantry. You want to drop those plates, to kill what you can then try to run down the enemy with its hand to hand potential. AV 13 is tough enough to keep most high STR shot damage to a minimal.
This is my impression, that they excel at killing troops but are not that wonderful versus anything heavy, like vehicles (that is, unless they get into CC... yikes. Would love to see one brawling with a Wraithlord.).

So the next question is this: why not a pack of, say, flamers? Smaller, probably more survivable, and their attacks are... nasty.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 01:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Drake View Post
Nay.

For the simple reason that they're hard to keep out of LOS & a lucky Lascannon can end a Grinders day before it's even joined the fun, a Daemon Prince on the other hand would simply take a wound (if it failed its 5++ that is).

Also, I think they're weak fluff & look crap. Nurgle Daemon Princes all the way.
Well A daemon prince can't drop a pie plate

And the arguement that a "lucky" lascannon shot can take it out then goes for everything with armour in the game. I see this as a weak arguement in all cases of whether or not to take a vehicle as a "lucky" lascannon shot can take out a landraider or monolith or etc...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-09, 02:23 AM
VictorLazarus's Flag is: United Kingdom

It seems like a good unit with Phlegm - thats a blast so BS not a big issue plus can fire that and the other weapon. Its got 13 armour so seems good plus possessed.

Its one of few things in the army that could take out land raiders or dreads in combat.

MVL.

Time does not heal wounds.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode