Soul Grinders: yay or nay? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-09, 09:48 PM

Dallas_Drake's Flag is: Yugoslavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLazarus View Post
Don't foget its possessed so a 3rd of all hits might not affect it at all. I have had games where I haven't been able to get a single 5 or 6 on a vehicle damage roll no matter how many lascannons I shot. (but thats my luck)

On the other hand its 35!

MVL.
True, 35 quid for one model does sting but I think Daemons players are used to paying though the nose, I know I am;

A while back I went out to get things for the house, wandered into GW & bought 15 Plaguebearers, 4 Crushers, 5 Fiends and 2 Greater Daemons in one go... yeah the missus was a bit miffed

But seriously (on topic), if people like them & are convinced they work then they should go for them, even if it means saving up for those few weeks/months longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-09, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLazarus View Post
Don't foget its possessed so a 3rd of all hits might not affect it at all. I have had games where I haven't been able to get a single 5 or 6 on a vehicle damage roll no matter how many lascannons I shot. (but thats my luck)

On the other hand its 35!

MVL.
Possessed? Oh, wait, I see. The Daemon rule as it applies to the Grinder lets you ignore Shaken and Stunned (like possessed, I'm guessing).

Yeah, the price tag... that has me leary. One I might be able to swing, but two? Not for a loooong while. Guess that would be all the more reason to mix him with a few other big baddies (greater daemons, which are also expensive, or a DP) that I've already got budgeted in.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-09, 02:59 PM

Meatplow's Flag is: USA

I solved my Soulgrinder finance problem with the help of my LGS. They have deal where if you play 20 minimum-sized (i.e..Starter box, 1k 40k, etc...) games in their store within 4 months, you earn $50 USD of credit there. (Limit 4 games per day.) I play 20 in a month most months and last night I got my first Grinder from this nifty little deal. I'll have 3 in no time...

I like pie!

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-16-09, 11:17 PM

Played my friend earlier he had daemons me nids and his soul grinders were great... They shot up my genestealers and Gaunts Until my tyrant got into combat with em ;) but still they made up their points and then some
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-09, 12:59 PM

Dallas_Drake's Flag is: Yugoslavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatplow View Post
I solved my Soulgrinder finance problem with the help of my LGS. They have deal where if you play 20 minimum-sized (i.e..Starter box, 1k 40k, etc...) games in their store within 4 months, you earn $50 USD of credit there. (Limit 4 games per day.) I play 20 in a month most months and last night I got my first Grinder from this nifty little deal. I'll have 3 in no time...
This is a really good idea! I wish UK stores did something similar. I also think a scheme where you get credit for introucing people to the hobby would be a good idea (i.e a one off £10 credit when your friend buys their first army battle force or units to the price of > £50, etc).

As for Grinders. Well yeah, there's no denying they add an edge. Regarding their price... well, we mustn't forget that there are alternative outlets that sell GW products, many at reduced prices.

Last edited by Dallas_Drake; 06-06-09 at 01:06 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 03:05 PM

refractory's Flag is: USA

when i had my daemon army i ran no less than 3 soul grinders. i would drop 2 on the first turn, and leave one for the other player to worry about. but then i also ran big HQ's as well.

(most games in my shop are no less than 2k.)

personally i think they are one of the best vehicles in the game, as the\y have good weapons, can fleet, and have awsome CC.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-09, 03:25 PM

Juiceypoop's Flag is: Australia

I play Daemons and I say Yay. A soul grinder with phlegm is only 160 points, it can fire both it's template weapon and it's harvester gun at the same time, it deep strikes, it has 5 str 10 attacks on the charge and has fleet, it's str6 flame template clears infantry out of cover, it's practically impossible for enemy infantry to destroy in assault, it's cheaper than your average daemon prince, and in my experience lives longer too.

If you don't like the model, convert it.

I currently field 2 soul grinder's in my army.
They've earned their points a dozen times over, most of the times i've fielded DP's, they've died to mass bolter or shuriken catapult fire. A lucky lascannon shot has to be LUCKY. Mass small arms fire is pretty much a GARUNTEE.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode