How to use space marine land speeders in your army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-09, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Captain Roy's Flag is: USA

How to use space marine land speeders in your army

I have a questions to all space marine players. I'm planning
to build a squad of lander speeders for my fast attack some
time in the future. What type of land speeder do you use in
your army?. The regular lander speeder just armed with a
heavy bolter or multi melta, tornado pattern or the
typhoon missile pattern?. Also don't forget the tempest
lander speeder which is forge world. If you have any
questions and advice using space marine land speeder?.
feel free to post a message, Thank You

My Warhammer 40k Armies

1.Aurora Chapter Space Marines
2.Imperial Guard Cadians&Catachans
3.Daemonhunters&Witch Hunters
4.Emperor's Hawks Chapter (Future Project)
5.Chaos Space Marines (Future Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-09, 06:06 AM

Ferik's Flag is: Canada

Ther are 2 popular patterns used for speeders

1 Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer works especially well with Vulkan and is useful for being prpared for many armies Swarm and Vehicle heavy in particular.

2 Tempest Launcher and Heavy Bolter which allows you to fire all weapons when you use the Frag Missiles on the launcher this is more of an anti-troop version though it can take out tanks as well.

My personal choice is the 1st one which is more cost effecient and more versitile in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

After a long campain behind enemy lines Brother Sergeant Telion was put under Chapter scrutiny to test the purity of mind and body.
During his final interview he was asked "do you feel anything when you kill a Heritic".
He simply shrugged and replied "A slight recoil"
The interview finished shortly after.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-09, 04:05 PM

Yep, Ferik has it. Those are pretty much the 2 best choices in terms of land speeder kit.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-09, 05:35 PM

I'd use multi-meltas to snipe enemy characters and the tanks as I get closer.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 01:33 PM

I personally would use the Typhoon everytime, It's a cheap firebase which can fire 2 templates at a massive 48" and 3 shots at 36" theres not much weaponly which can beat that, Kraks are not something you want to use except for tanks or Big IP characters like a blood thirster.

Theres a reason Dark Eldar are hard to play, and thats becuase armour 10 all round skimmers which go toe to toe with the enermy can be taken down by the nearest str 4 massed weapon. and if your oppents clever he will have a tank killer sitting out of the way killing pests so that his guns can concentrate on bigger threats.

Allow me to give you another example, a close range skimmer is like sending a kitten with a knife strapped to its back into a war zone, it might do some damage but if your enermy is clever he'll just stamp on the poor thing and keep shooting, now if you gave that cat a rocket launcher and kept it back...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 06:10 PM

Your analogy would be much more accurate if the kitten with the knife was surrounded with pitbulls with lasers on their heads. Because if the only armor in your army is land speeders, then you're doing it wrong. You need the pitbulls to distract from the kittens, otherwise they don't work. Nobody said that you were supposed to run the kittens by themselves.

P.S. Dark eldar own.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 07:08 PM

godzy's Flag is: Israel

Sooch, the point Anarchyfever is trying to get through is that even if you have ten other vehicles, they will attract the enemy AT, while the speeder will be rapid fired with S4 weapons, that are no going to target other vehicles anyway. that in mind, you want to make sure the get to hit as much troops as possible, since they are a bit of a one-use tool. any turn after the first of shooting with it is a bonus. if you really want the burny to prevail, try a dole HF with Vulkan. move 6", put down two S5 rerole-to-wound templates. 'nuf said.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 09:48 PM

I like the typhoon personally. It is quite a bit more expensive though.

I like stuff that acts on turn one, which the typhoon does. It's reach is superb thanks to being able to move 12" and fire to full effect and I think it's a really big deal to blow up that truk or rhino before it moves forward popping smoke, not after. I've also been having lots of fun with cyclones and typhoons against monstrous creatures recently, and plan to carry on doing so.

The tornado doesn't gain all that much survivability from being in an army with other vehicles. The problem is that it gets taken down by basic weapons and close combat. The typhoon is a lot safer from these, simply because it's further away.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-09, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzy View Post
Sooch, the point Anarchyfever is trying to get through is that even if you have ten other vehicles, they will attract the enemy AT, while the speeder will be rapid fired with S4 weapons, that are no going to target other vehicles anyway. that in mind, you want to make sure the get to hit as much troops as possible, since they are a bit of a one-use tool. any turn after the first of shooting with it is a bonus. if you really want the burny to prevail, try a dole HF with Vulkan. move 6", put down two S5 rerole-to-wound templates. 'nuf said.
Still a nonsensical point. Why get within 12" of a rapid fire weapon when you can move up to 24" per turn with a speeder? The only way that should happen, is if you want it to happen or if you planned your turns incorrectly. Maybe the reason why your speeders keep getting rapid fired is because you're running 2 template weapons...

@someguy: Yeah for the most part, it depends on what other stuff you have in your army. If you've got 3 HB/AC preds in your army, you DON'T need typhoons, and if you lack any long range weaponry then typhoons may be a good choice. That said though, I believe that predators serve as a more survivable long range fire support vehicle than a typhoon, and that speeders are better off using their speed to get in and melta/flamer high value targets.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 02:21 AM

englhockey's Flag is: USA

I like the one with a multimelta to kill special characters tanks or to drop 5 scouts with bolters and a heavybolter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode