Bikers = Garbage - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Treewizard648's Flag is: USA

Default Bikers = Garbage

I am trying to raise a Black templars army and I finally decided to NOT include bikers in my force. For one; they are 32-50 pts each! Two; what are they good for exactly? Three; I HATE the design of the SM bike. Curse the engineers of the Adeptus Mechanicus! Honestly I would rather have two 10 Initiate assualt squads and a Wing of speeders. Or no speeders at all and ANOTHER assault squad.

Any objections? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Last edited by Treewizard648; 02-26-09 at 02:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 02:29 AM

Marshal Balian's Flag is: USA

I have to agree with you that bikers for templars are worthless. Thats why I am using the new codex for my all biker templar army(Just can't use the EC). Still use the same paint scheme and use Khan as my Marshal. Very nice.

Stay with the assault squads or just make more crusader squads. I prefer the Crusader squads however. 3x20 man crusader squads running across the board 285 pts each. Add a reclusiarch chaplain in one, EC with accept in one, and your Marshal in another. Very nasty.

Don't even waste your points on the bikes. However I would consider a squadron of 3xattack bikes with either MM's or HB's(not a mixture) as your fast attack choice. very nasty indeed.

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you were only kidding!!!

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 02:52 AM

Come over to the dark side, Codex space marine bikes are great

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooch View Post
Come over to the dark side, Codex space marine bikes are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treewizard648 View Post
......Three; I HATE the design of the SM bike. Curse the engineers of the Adeptus Mechanicus!......

Not happening, NEVER! besides, Black Templars ARE dark enough already
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 04:26 AM

Look for the conversion thread where someone turns a SM bike into a fucking ATV. It's amazing. You may like this, and end up using bikes in your army.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Look for the conversion thread where someone turns a SM bike into a fucking ATV. It's amazing. You may like this, and end up using bikes in your army.
Seen it, didint like it sorry, what I dont like about the SM bikes is that they are too "beefy" looking. You would figure the Astartes would still be using jetbikes. Anyway I still dont care for pre-heresy jetbikes either. I dont even like the Dark Angels Master of the Ravenwing jetbike.

Because of this I might even design my own Astartes Jetbikes
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 06:01 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Bikers are -not- garbage. They're not for delivering a breaking fast assault, which is what a lot of people seem to use them for. Bike squads are a surgical tool to remove enemy tanks, vulnerable small units, and act as a rapid response unit to quickly bolster a firing line where you've suffered casualties. While Land Speeders serve the same purpose, a biker squadron will typically be a bit more survivable, which justifies the higher points cost. They also can generally bring more weapons to bear.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 06:17 AM
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Look for the conversion thread where someone turns a SM bike into a fucking ATV.
Anybody got a link to this? I tried the search function but came up with nothing.

Back on topic, The Son Of Horus is right, Bikes can be very good if they are used properly. But to be honest I don't really like the look of the models either, they just don't look right, the Marine is too small or something.

Please help Keak reach his full potential.

Last edited by Siege; 02-26-09 at 06:20 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 06:47 AM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

While Bikes may seem hard to use, vsing armies like Tau and Eldar they can really help take down any units hidden in the back corner, such as Broadsides and Prism Cannons.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 05:04 PM

Maybe normal bikes aren't that great, I never use them anyways. Attack bikes w/ multi-meltas though? Almost perfect. My MM bikes ALWAYS take their points worth, and then some. With turbo-boost, 2 wounds, T5, by turn 2 they'll be popping enemy land raiders and predators like nothing, and nobody really has anything that can deal with them on turn one. Thats what I reccomend, if you want bikes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode