Black Templars, Right for me? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-09, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Oodles's Flag is: New Zealand

I meant ideas for fluff. Im painting my own chapter like my avatar on the left.

Two drums and a Cymbal fell of a cliff....Badoom Chish!!
Check out slaine69's posts! A wicked Artist!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 12:14 AM

Treewizard648's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles View Post
I meant ideas for fluff. Im painting my own chapter like my avatar on the left.

When it comes to fluff, Black Templars are pretty straight forward, please anybody else correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt a Black templar army have to be painted black+white with the maltese cross in order to be used in game?

Anyway Black Templars have no official fluff other than its codex and many stories and literature that include them in it.

Some more advice to you would be if your new to the wh40k hobby, then I would recommend that you start with normal space marines that follow the normal codex astartes and paint them whatever colors you want because there are innumerable chapters of Space marines and any "made up" chapter is fine.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 02:51 AM

Marshal Balian's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles View Post
Hi all, I'm new to 40k and want to make a Space Marine army. After reading what info i could get and the fact that my friend has a Space Wolves army and have heard Blood angels are over done(sorry to blood angel lovers), I want to make a black templar based chapter. I'm going to paint them similar to what my Avatar pic looks like and will, in time have made a background story as i love to imerse myself in fantasy, BUT, are the Black Templars battle tactics right for me? I want to Base my army around the use of Marine squads assisted by Scout Squads. Terminators and Dreadnaughts.

Thanks for any and all help. Feel free to state your case for any other chapter as i want to find the right ary for me.
The type of army you are talking about here would be best suited for the standard space marine codex. One squad supporting another squad through bases of fire. Scouts supporting via sniper teams in a building. and dreadnoughts supporting for heavy fire.

A Black Templar army is built around a Crusade. They do not conform to a standard codex chapter of 1000 battle brothers per chapter. They fight in a crusade led by a castellan or a marshal. They do not fight in tactical squads with a sergeant in charge. Veterans(or sergeants) are gathered up by the Marshal and inducted into the sword breatheran. They still believe in purging the universe of the heretic, the mutant, and the alien. As marines were doing during the great crusades with the emperor.

Black Templars believe that combat should be handled up close and personnal(it is more honorable to fight and die in close combat). They do not have scouts(at all). They have a neophyte(same as a scout) in which an Initiate chooses to take and train until he deems him worthy to be a Black templar Initiate(kind of like a knight with a squire). Black Templars have absolutely no Devastator squads and only have a predator and a Land raider as heavy support.

My personnal feelings on the Black Templar color scheme is to stick with the Black and white. Black Templars are considered Zealots among Zealots(other marine chapters). To paint the purple would be an insult at best. But that is my personnal feelings on it. Black Templar fluff is pretty straight forward.

Again for the type of army you are looking for to add in all of the fluff and fight the way you want to fight The standard codex and space marines are what you want.

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you were only kidding!!!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-09, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Balian View Post
.....My personnal feelings on the Black Templar color scheme is to stick with the Black and white. Black Templars are considered Zealots among Zealots(other marine chapters). To paint the purple would be an insult at best. But that is my personnal feelings on it. Black Templar fluff is pretty straight forward......

I have seen a gray, urban camo Black Templars army. Terribly painted, disgusting at best. Not to mention an insult to the whole chapter.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treewizard648 View Post
When it comes to fluff, Black Templars are pretty straight forward, please anybody else correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt a Black templar army have to be painted black+white with the maltese cross in order to be used in game?
Nope. My current BT army is painted(And modeled) as alpha legionnaires.

I've only had one guy complain(the exact wording was "Terrible player and sportsmen") to which I responded "Hahah...you're a dick."

Paint the army whatever scheme you want. Please don't paint them purple though, that's all I ask.

Quote:
Anyway Black Templars have no official fluff other than its codex and many stories and literature that include them in it.
Which is generally what fluff is attributed to. Although it's odd they aren't mentioned in other codexes.

Quote:
Some more advice to you would be if your new to the wh40k hobby, then I would recommend that you start with normal space marines that follow the normal codex astartes and paint them whatever colors you want because there are innumerable chapters of Space marines and any "made up" chapter is fine.
Warning however. Space marines a soulless and terrible army that will have you screaming the name of "PHIIIIIL KEELLLLLYYYY" in a spitting rage after orks mop up your last tac squad.

I keep forgetting how hilarious my old posts are.

It's not a question of who will let me, it's a question of who will stop me.
You fight for nothing! You are nothing!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Lol! at the last post! Thanks heaps guys and you are correct. I have purchased the SM codex and will be form my army from that. I have read through some of the "Famous Battles" of the Ultramarines and have made a Background Fluff story behind my army. Why the are painted they way they are and Chapter Master Origin and name along with Captain's Name and Origin. I'm quite happy with and will be posting it under the Fluff section. It will be called Sons of Orar. Feel free to read it and let me know what you think and correct any clashes I have made. There are bound to be some lol. Thanks again for your advice and help. And sorry for comparing Black Templars tactics to Orks. Lol

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWaffles View Post
.......Warning however. Space marines a soulless and terrible army that will have you screaming the name of "PHIIIIIL KEELLLLLYYYY" in a spitting rage after orks mop up your last tac squad.

What in the name of Rogal Dorn are you talking about? Orks have crap characteristics when it comes to CC. Unless there are special rules in the codex I have not seen. Other than that the average Ork initiative is only "2" and the average LD is "7". I could imagine with characteristics like those, you could send them running home to momma easily when pitted against units such as BT Intitiates and Neophytes or BT CC Termies.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 05:48 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
What in the name of Rogal Dorn are you talking about? Orks have crap characteristics when it comes to CC. Unless there are special rules in the codex I have not seen. Other than that the average Ork initiative is only "2" and the average LD is "7". I could imagine with characteristics like those, you could send them running home to momma easily when pitted against units such as BT Intitiates and Neophytes or BT CC Termies.
Actually, Orks are excellent in close combat for their points, assuming we're talking the basic Ork boy. With up to four attacks on the charge (if armed with a choppa and slugga) at S4 and I3 due to Furious Charge, Orks can chew up and spit out most units in a heartbeat.

You are correct in that large Templar Crusader Squads are able to trounce them in close combat fairly easily though. This isn't because Orks are bad troops, but because Crusader Squads get so many attacks (in large part due to the number of models in each squad) at a higher I than the Orks that only a few greenskins ever survive to make their attacks.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
Actually, Orks are excellent in close combat for their points, assuming we're talking the basic Ork boy. With up to four attacks on the charge (if armed with a choppa and slugga) at S4 and I3 due to Furious Charge, Orks can chew up and spit out most units in a heartbeat.

Yes however I3 is still dismal compared to mightier enemies such as the crusader squads I mentioned before. But Orks can do very well in CC when it comes to fighting weaker enemies such as Imperial guard (unless they have taken the "Hardened Fighters" or "Preferred Enemy" regimental doctrine) or Tau (especially Tau)

BTW, your signature Katie Drake = Hilarious
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-09, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Yay my forums started a debate lol!!! Flame people!! FLAME!!!!!!!!!! hahaha. Ne ways,change chapter name due to there already being a sons of orar. Now it is Hand of Orar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode