Using Devastator Squad In Your Space Marine Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Captain Roy's Flag is: USA

Using Devastator Squad In Your Space Marine Army

I have a question to all space marine players. How do
you use your devastator squad in your army, Do you
mix your four heavy weapons in your squad or keep
them the same weapons for example four missile
launchers in your squad. I'm planning to build two
new squads of devastator squads for my space
marine army and need some advice. If you have
any questions about my thread, Please feel free
to post a message. Thank You

My Warhammer 40k Armies

1.Aurora Chapter Space Marines
2.Imperial Guard Cadians&Catachans
3.Daemonhunters&Witch Hunters
4.Emperor's Hawks Chapter (Future Project)
5.Chaos Space Marines (Future Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 02:43 AM

Missiles and Heavy Bolters. Lascannons and Plasma are too expensive for dev squads. Better to capitalize on combat squad rules and put the lascannons in the tacticals (half the squad's mobile with a meltagun or plasma gun, while the other sits back and lasers anything inside 4-foot range. If something gets too close, the heavy bolters can hose any infantry, and I usually field a land raider just to soak enemy attention in general.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 03:00 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

It really depends on what you want to do with them, but the general consensus is to keep they weapon types mostly the same - so 4 HBs, or 4 MLs and so on. This is because when you shoot at a target, you want to have full effectiveness from your guns. Having say LCs and HBs in the same squad say, would mean that if you fire at tanks, your HBs are useless, and if you fire at hoards of orks, your LCs aren't doing much.

You can mix and match a bit, HB and MLs aren't too bad, but it does mean that sometimes you won't get the full effect of them.

I personally love all missile launchers though - yeah, they don't have the punch of a LC, but the versatility of being both anti-tank and anti-infantry is too much to pass up.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 03:03 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm a fan of the 4x Plasma Cannon, or 3x Plasma Cannon, and 1x Lascannon. Gives me anti tank, and 3 Str7 AP2 Blast Templates. Stay away from the Anti-tank in your Troops - they have Bolters, AKA, bad at shooting tanks. Marines need all their numbers to count, so having even just 4 Marines miss a turn shooting because you Lascannon a tank is bad.

Anti-tank therefore always goes in Heavy Support for me, and AntiInfantry in the Troops.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 03:10 AM

I like the 4 missile launcher unit, you get all that damage for 150 points. This will shred most armor before it even gets to move and if your worried about armor 14 stuff a dev squad won't help you out there anyways.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 03:15 AM

Dessel_Ordo's Flag is: USA

only one weapon, MM's are a terrible choice, LC's are bad unless you are in dire need (read: LR, Titan, Baneblade, otherwise you are overpaying for that many in one squad). PC's are pushing it points-wise, but are by far the best way to dominate a firing lane/split an enemy army (hardly anything wants to cross 4 S7 AP3 blasts). Heavy Bolters and ML's are by far the best gun to give your Devs tho.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
My fluff so far, plz read and give feed back

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 06:33 PM
Banned

tony161's Flag is: United Kingdom

so it's an argue ment of having overpriced stuff in dev squad (LCs) or have them cheap in a combat squad and possibly sacrifice 4 bolt rounds. What should go in dev squad is anti infinfry, and have LC, ML and plas spread through tac.squads so u havent got a lumpy target, but in my choas army i have 3 land raiders, so that i don't need fragile havocs.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 06:58 PM

Pertoleum's Flag is: Canada

i tend to play alot of horde/swarm armys and i found the heavy bolter and plasma cannon to be great ive taken out a broodlord and his 11 genestealer retinue in a single turn and the pc can double as anti tank and trust me when i say this never put a power weapon in your squad your asking to get in a fight and thats the last thing you need is devastators in combat

-- Pertoleum May The Force Be With You !!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 07:15 PM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

I embrace the 4x Plasma Cannon option. BOOM!
I also only buy a 6 man squad and stick them in a razorback in case of dawn of war set up games. nothing more annoying than having to walk to a building turn 1.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-09, 08:14 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

2 Plasma Cannons and 2 Lascannons is my choice of equipment. I play against chaos a lot, so the Plasma Cannons help there while the Lascannons can do something at least, and for the tanks all the weapons work well. Unless it's a Land Raider. That's why I have the Lascannons. In my opinion it's the best if you face MEqs often, including the Inquisition.

Against Orks the Plasma Cannons do wonders, and the Lascannons will take out tanks like a hot knife through butter. Same with Tyranids, except the lascannons are used against Carnifexes and such, but the Plasma Cannons work well here as well.

Against Tau and Eldar (including Dark Eldar), it takes out everything. They have light armour and light tanks, and Wraithlords and Battlesuits aren't too bad a worry. Battlesuits are just shifty MEqs, and Wraithlords out up a good fight but in the end are just a rather large MEq with a higher toughness and an extra attack.

Of course with Imperial Guard it doesn't matter what you use - they die either way!

I only have 5 men in the squad. I hope to distract the enemy with much juicier targets, who are slowly advancing and if left unchecked will rip their army to shreds, (i.e. Assault Terminators in Land Raiders) however in games of more than 1250 pts 10 men are needed dearly, so I'm going to get the Combat Squad boc soon.

Last edited by Cato Sicarius; 02-07-09 at 08:21 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode