Do you need lots of troop choices to win games of 5th Ed??? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

Default Do you need lots of troop choices to win games of 5th Ed???

*sigh*

Ok this has become my mantra since 5th Ed was released and the fact i keeping seeing so many posts on every forum talking about the same thing its actually made me break my lurking silence....

Q: Do you need lots of troop choices to win games of 5th Ed???

NO!

"There is not need to capture an objective if you have simply contested your opponents" (this is one of my mantra's along with "where's my beer?").

All my armies are designed to excel at Kill Points. This means i only really take 2 troops (maybe 3 if its Orks or Nids as they are a bit squishy) and then pump all my other points into really hard hitting and/or survivable units.

This obviously works well in Kill Points but then you apply this army to any other mission and it is just as good.

Capture the Flag (I can never remember the proper mission names btw) only requires you to hold your objective. So take something which loves sitting in cover (think scouts with cloaks here for marines for example). All you then have to do is be quick enough to get right in your opponents face and just jump all over his objective and contest the hell out of this.

Prime example was last night when i used a very sub par Marine army (just grabbed some stuff out my local GW's cabinet) vs a very tough Necron army (Nightbringer, 2 Liths and loads of warriors). Turn 1 i boshed a Pod down on a flank near his objective and steamed a Raider with regular terminators and a libby forward as well. This effectively pinned him in his deployment zone for 4 turns whilst he tripped over himself to deal with some tough, resilient units. In the end i was unlucky and only on turn 5 did he reclaim his objective.

Now the 3rd mission is multiple objectives. So whilst your opponent has brought 3/4 mediocre troops choices to the party you have the above units to smack him down and quickly contesting anything he claims and getting ALL the attention whilst your 2 troops choices do their thing take and objective and win the game.

This is the approach i have taken to 5th Ed and is pretty much why i continue to do so well. Hope it helps.

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 09:27 PM

Darkseer's Flag is: Great Britain

Hooray for killing! We shan't have any of this ridiculous 'mission' based malarky!

My Tau Blog:
tactics, conversions, painting guides and more
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 09:36 PM
sooch's Flag is: Canada

That's pretty much how I think 5th should be treated. Although usually I only bring 2 tac squads to a 1500 point game, usually there's a scout squad with cloaks in there as well to round it out. The rest is killy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Rain View Post
As a guard player, I wouldn't say I enjoy losses more than wins. It's more to the point that losses are just more comfortable, like a person who used to be a hobo puts his hobo shoes back on.
The best analogies help you relate to a situation that would otherwise be foreign to you.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 09:51 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseer View Post
Hooray for killing! We shan't have any of this ridiculous 'mission' based malarky!
indeed, why play a game with any meaning or focus to it, when you can just kill everything in sight like the 8yr old players do.............

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:00 PM

Djokovic's Flag is: Serbia

Quote:
indeed, why play a game with any meaning or focus to it, when you can just kill everything in sight like the 8yr old players do.............
Haha... a hint of sarcasm there.

IMO you need at least 4 troops choices to win a game in 5th ed.

The next sentence is true. This sentence is a lie.

"Do not become a link in the turd chain"
- Jezlad

PLEASE CLICK THIS

[URL="https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/%5Burl=https://heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/382-dmitry.htm%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://www.heresy-online.net/daemons"][img]https://www.heresy-online.net/daemons
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:25 PM
sooch's Flag is: Canada

Depends which army you're playing. If you're playing orks, hell yes you need at least 4 troops (unless nob bikers). If you're playing SM...well...you really don't want more of the rank and file blue boys than you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Rain View Post
As a guard player, I wouldn't say I enjoy losses more than wins. It's more to the point that losses are just more comfortable, like a person who used to be a hobo puts his hobo shoes back on.
The best analogies help you relate to a situation that would otherwise be foreign to you.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djokovic View Post
Haha... a hint of sarcasm there.

IMO you need at least 4 troops choices to win a game in 5th ed.
Unless you are playing Guard, nids or Orks (who have very killable troop choices) you really don't.

Anyone putting 4 troop choices down in front of me is only going to make me smile as thats 300 odd points they haven't spent on something that is going to hurt me.

I would argue that it is the 8 year olds that spam troops in a vain hope to smother the board for a win rather than those who's armies are honed enough to at the least negate their opponents ability to claim objectives and/or clean them off the table.

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:35 PM

World Eater's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
Hail,

Well said. And to further help 8 yr players (or those who play like 8 yr olds!) lets play with absolutely no terrain so that it all becomes a big old kill fest!
(cover saves just slow the game down way tooo much).

Missions and objectives help develop players as a whole, using an army of primarily Troop selections is not a sign of weakness, it should be the foundation/cornerstone of the whole army no matter who you play.

BFTBG!!

World Eater

'Kharn the Betrayer is my moral compass'
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:37 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcuzzlebumm View Post
Anyone putting 4 troop choices down in front of me is only going to make me smile as thats 300 odd points they haven't spent on something that is going to hurt me.
if you really think 100-220 guard or 40 marines ain't gonna hurt you, then I'd like to know what land you live in

post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
if you really think 100-220 guard or 40 marines ain't gonna hurt you, then I'd like to know what land you live in
When i'm not sitting on the top tables of tourneys i can be found in manchester.

No really all 3 of the 5th Ed armies i have been running would laugh thier way to the bank vs something like that.

In fact both my nids and orks have faced down Guard and Marine hordes lately and walked right through them.

Troops are there as a back up to tip the balance when needed but mostly to follow up behind the rest of your army and take objectives when needed.

Don't believe me look at all the top 10 armies in the UK and US GT's. Most of them only had 2 troops. That's a pretty fair indicator of how much you really don't need troop spam.

Plus if you did take one of these massive 100+ armies you soon realise that on a regular 6x4 it either trips over itself and never gets to bring everything to bare or it ends up so clumped together they are just waiting to get smothered in a couple of templates/blasts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode