Commissars - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

Commissars

At what point is it worth it to get one?

1000points? 1500?

What sort of gear do you use for them?

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 02:28 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Remember guys, only post army lists in the army list sections. Army specific questions are usually better posted in Tactics.

Katie D
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 02:44 PM

I'd say never.
they cost almost as much as a 10 man squad, I'd almost always rather have 10 extra bodies.

He also forces the unit to take extra wounds if they fail combat. Why not let me fall back and hope they make an iron D roll. Or if they are wiped...who cares do we really expect most guard units to last multiple turns in combat vs anything ment to be scary in combat?

Even without iron D your spending 50+ points to improve the leadership of a unit worth....just over 50 points. why not just take another unit? more fire power, more wounds and well even if you fail aleadership test who cares you still have the other unit. i mean oo 1 mor epoint of leader ship...

that without counting the fact they kill your own officers/troops.

If you really want, use a special character or somethng from another codex. they are far better.

For example a cannones with a book of st lucious takes what? 55 points but you get a better unit in power armour. can join any unit with out needing some special rule and affects everything within 6". Has leader ship 10 that will never be modified so your conscripts will nver suffer an effective leadership 5 after lossing combat then taking wounds because they "auto passed".

I love the idea behind them but man they are expensive. also some people but em in lots of squads because without independent commisars doctren you have to... so for every 3 commisars you can get a leman russ. for 2 you could get a hell hound....

I can't see them ever being viable. Even at 10 points i would question them.

Last edited by Morgal; 12-12-08 at 02:54 PM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 02:53 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgal View Post
Says the guy with a Commissar for an avatar.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Even without iron D your spending 50+ points to improve the leadership of a unit worth....just over 50 points. why not just take another unit? more fire power, more wounds and well even if you fail aleadership test who cares you still have the other unit. i mean oo 1 mor epoint of leader ship....
Yes. If in doubt, buy more guns.

Quote:
I love the idea behind them but man they are expensive. also some people but em in lots of squads because without independent commisars doctren you have to... so for every 3 commisars you can get a leman russ. for 2 you could get a hell hound....

Again, yes. He doesn't really do anything. You see 150 orks approaching and you have a bloke who contributes in no way, other than to shoot your own guys if they run away. You want your guys to run away so you can carry on shooting the orks. You don't want some idiot with a lasgun remaining in combat with a unit of 25 slugga boyz or a lash daemon prince, ensuring that they are free to carry on into the rest of your lines next turn.

Close combat blocks line of sight. Dead IG do not. Therefore, it is preferable that your guys run away and get killed than remain in CC... and get killed.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 03:31 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

I love Commissars. They raise mediocre leadership to good leadership when attached to a command squad. Plus they have the ability to buy officer gear, having the same stats (minus leadership) as a SO. For 40 points, you get an extra officer basically.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 03:46 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

there worth it at all pts levels for the only reason that matters, the models are coooooool
and 45pts for that extra LD, and another power weapon and a cool model really isn't going to make a dent in your points totals

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 04:22 PM

An officer for that many points comes with the officer special rule and affects units within 12".
also he comes with 4 other guys!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 05:22 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

I'm agreeing with Stella here. It's a badass model. If you make your command squads counter-assaulters, he's a great addition.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 06:53 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
An officer for that many points comes with the officer special rule and affects units within 12".
also he comes with 4 other guys!
yeah.....but he ain't a Commissar, someone cooler than every space marine in existence.....actually considering marine are no longer cool thats not saying much, but you get the point, he would be cooler if marines were still cool.....actually no that would make him super cool cus marines ain't anymore.....my head hurts

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 12-12-08 at 06:56 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode