Commissars - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 07:38 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
yeah.....but he ain't a Commissar, someone cooler than every space marine in existence.....actually considering marine are no longer cool thats not saying much, but you get the point, he would be cooler if marines were still cool.....actually no that would make him super cool cus marines ain't anymore.....my head hurts
Sure, but I think it's pretty obvious that the topic at hand isn't "Are Commissars cool?" It's "Are Commissars worth their points from a competitive point of view and if so, at what point level?"

Really, I'm happy that you're willing to include models in your army regardless of effectiveness because you think that their fluff and models are cool. But please, if you're just going to suggest that people do things because they're cool rather than giving them reasons that they're actually looking for, spare everyone and don't post at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 08:04 PM

ive just started a gaurd army my second sold my 1st to buy weed (silly silly me) at the moment im just at 1600 points and in the games ive played my commisar isnt doing me any favours its best to let gaurdsmen run as some one said b4 you cant shoot through combat i think in apoc i might take them just for extra power weapons but id rather have the numbers
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 08:14 PM

Trigger's Flag is: England

I always take one or two. A commisar with a powerfist makes a great addition to any squad. One of the best things they do is holding the unit as a 'speed bump'. Anything to automatically pass break tests is a good thing for guard

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 08:19 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
Sure, but I think it's pretty obvious that the topic at hand isn't "Are Commissars cool?" It's "Are Commissars worth their points from a competitive point of view and if so, at what point level?"

Really, I'm happy that you're willing to include models in your army regardless of effectiveness because you think that their fluff and models are cool. But please, if you're just going to suggest that people do things because they're cool rather than giving them reasons that they're actually looking for, spare everyone and don't post at all.
alright then

are they worth it in any points value game?
yes, what else you gonna spend 40pts on?
are they competitive?
whos cares that wasn't in the question

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 08:40 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
are they competitive?
whos cares that wasn't in the question
Well, usually when someone asks if a unit is "worth it" they're asking if the unit would be a positive contribution to the army for its points. So yes, it was in the question.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-08, 10:35 PM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

haha, nice one katie
Okay, back to the question. If the squad autopasses the Ld test for combat, they lose more models and you can't shoot at the enemy unit. Better to let them run and be done with it. Unless they are independent they have to go in your command squad, so you can potentialy lose the Leadership rule....which is NOT a good thing. Sure he can take a Powerfist, about the only good thing he can do. Make him Idependent and shove him in a guard squad w/ CCW or Ogryns and he might do something. If you want a counter assualt unit, get some allies.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-08, 01:07 AM

Dont use them, but buy them and wait for the 5th ed codex. The way I see it they are a burden to have right now with the whole if you auto pass your ****ed up the bunghole rule. If they dont want every guard player to hate them GW will make comisars better or cheeper. Right now the best way to use them is in a squad of him and Hardened Vets, the vets have pistol/CCweapon and the sarge and Comisar both have power fist/Weapon. It sucks up points but it can be so fun. The trick is to make sure they are the ones charging and have a higher init if posible, 30 attacks! 4 Power weapons! OMFG! my Orks just got raped!, that is assuming we are not talking a full 30 mob, more like 15. Without Nobs.(EQUIVALENT) And assuming the non power cadys are at least getting a 50% hit-wound/Attack ratio(Generous I know). Assuming that works oout you have the potential of taking out a squad or 2 without casualties.
That said, its a crazy Idea and should ony be attempted if you are verry lucky, verry good at pulling things off, or are plaing against a dumb player.
My final verdict: Not worth it at the present time.
Wow I rambled on that one!

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-08, 01:18 AM
The Apathetic one.

comrade's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

well.. positives:

1. Not IC so can't be targeted in CC, so hidden powerfist (unless you take the inde commie doc)

2. Squad will never break from combat. ever.

3. They have 2 wounds, and aren't an independent charc.

4. They look cool as hell.

Negatives:

1. Sort of Expensive.

2. Can shoot a important officer/psycher.

Comrades synopsis: Commissars are cool as hell.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-08, 02:09 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Having a squad not run away is a con. Enemy charges, instead of running you stay, your turn the enemy squad wipes your squad out and the enemy squad is free during their next turn. If the squad ran you could pump the other squad full of firepower.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-08, 03:41 AM
The Apathetic one.

comrade's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

depends on if that squad thats not running is a 50 man conscript unit and is the only thing holding your left flank, or is tying up that ubber bad ass CC monster.

Also.. it will never break from shooting casualties either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode