3 Leman Russ - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-08, 01:20 AM

I keep my tanks relatively cheap and basic. I never use sponsons and normally equip each tank with a hull mounted lascannon. If I have points to spare I'll give them extra armor.

2x Standard Battle Tanks
1x Vanquisher

or

2x Standard Battle Tanks
1x Demolisher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-08, 10:20 AM

Justicar Auarilius's Flag is: USA

Ok man, so some guys on here are telling you the extra lascannon isnt worth it and instead run all heavy bolters....let me give you a scenario to show how that is not smart.

Your running 3 tanks as your heavy support options and they are basically there to take out other tanks. You have plenty of infantry and can put a heavy bolter in each squad (which means in 2 troop choices you will have at the very least 6 heavy boltes and a crap load of lasguns) that much fire will even down a large amount of space marines (trust me i run both armies). While ur infantry fire on infantry ur tanks go tanking hunting with there battle cannons right? well the first thing your enemy will do is focus the majority off their fire on your tanks, and if they get a weapon destroyed the first thing to go will always be your battle cannon, and a russ with three heavy bolters cost just alil less than a 2 squad infantry platoon equipped with three bolters....so now they russ becomes an overpriced infantry killer with no anti tank abilities, which was its sole purpose. However if you give it a lascannon just in case you will still be able to fend off any tanks that are left if you lose your battle cannon, and trust me it happens alot
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-08, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justicar Auarilius View Post
Ok man, so some guys on here are telling you the extra lascannon isnt worth it and instead run all heavy bolters....let me give you a scenario to show how that is not smart.

Your running 3 tanks as your heavy support options and they are basically there to take out other tanks. You have plenty of infantry and can put a heavy bolter in each squad (which means in 2 troop choices you will have at the very least 6 heavy boltes and a crap load of lasguns) that much fire will even down a large amount of space marines (trust me i run both armies). While ur infantry fire on infantry ur tanks go tanking hunting with there battle cannons right? well the first thing your enemy will do is focus the majority off their fire on your tanks, and if they get a weapon destroyed the first thing to go will always be your battle cannon, and a russ with three heavy bolters cost just alil less than a 2 squad infantry platoon equipped with three bolters....so now they russ becomes an overpriced infantry killer with no anti tank abilities, which was its sole purpose. However if you give it a lascannon just in case you will still be able to fend off any tanks that are left if you lose your battle cannon, and trust me it happens alot
Justicar has a point, you can set your Leman Russ up to be an anti-infantry machine however your infantry can do it more efficiently. For 190pts you can have an infantry platoon with three heavy bolters and 22 lasguns that can take objectives.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 12:30 AM

Is it true that 1 choice of heavy support will be 3 tanks instead of 1?

Have you considered a Flamer?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 03:52 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
Is it true that 1 choice of heavy support will be 3 tanks instead of 1?

Nobody really knows at this point, as the Guard book is still sufficiently far away that tons of details are yet to leak out. This isn't really the place to talk Imperial Guard rumors, however.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 10:06 AM

Trigger's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietEarth View Post
Justicar has a point, you can set your Leman Russ up to be an anti-infantry machine however your infantry can do it more efficiently. For 190pts you can have an infantry platoon with three heavy bolters and 22 lasguns that can take objectives.
Using that logic, a platoon can be set up to be a more efficient tank hunting unit, using three lascannon, and melta guns. The ONLY reason to take a russ is its an armour 14, pie plate dealing lump of death, and quite cheap. I'd take a Hull HB and thats it. Then I can afford more Leman Russ or a Basilisk for more Ordinance. Once you lose the battle cannon use the vehicle to block LOS, charges and ram things.

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 10:23 AM

Ok trigger, respectfully i disagree and so does most of the staff at GW, (whose reading this on my laptop right now) Your infantry platoon cannot be an effective tank hunting unit for this reason (and keep in mind key word is effective)

Say you have a full platoon, that gives you at max 3 las cannons and ima leave the melta guns out because if you got into melta gun range chances are you had to go towards the enemy which disabled you ability to fire a LC and everyone would choose to fire the LC over a melta. So just the infantry platoon itself before the LC costs you 160 pts all together. Now you add in 75 pts for 3 lascannons thats giving you 245 pts all together. Now thats pretty bad considering you can get 2 leman russes for that point cost (that will definaetly kill more tanks) or a support section for your cc with 3 lascannons at 165. Because remember a lasgun is unable to kill any normal tank, it just doesnt have the strength so if your trying to use an infantry platoon to take out tanks at all your basically wasting about 80 pts by not just getting a support section. This is why any experience guard player will tell you a basic infantry platoon should never be armed with a lascannon and the best thing to arm it with if your planning on using heavy weapons is a bolter.

Heres an alternative, if you really want some sort of anti armour in your infantry platoon then take a missile launcher for the reason that you can in a pinch take out a tank (S8 AP 3 isnt horrible) and the missile launcher frag version is still pretty good against infantry.

I know this was supposed to be about tanks, sorry for getting off topic but i just had to respond to what he said
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 10:24 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I've always thought that three Leman Russes was a little lame, but it's undeniably extremely good. Each can cover a portion of the table, and when equipped with three heavy bolters and a heavy stubber, they can lay down more accurate anti-infantry fire than firing the battle cannon in some cases, particularly if the target has spread out. I'd bring the sponsons, because they're not expensive and they offer an option that tends to have its uses. Even if you never fire them in a given game, they're a good investment.

A squadron of Leman Russ (not a vehicle squadron by game rules, but three Leman Russes) can be a game winner just by virtue of their battle cannons. Given good scatters, there's no reason for an infantry advance to ever reach your lines in sufficient numbers to be a serious threat. Deployed in an echelon formation (either left or right, depending on which flank you put them on), you can cover the entire table with an armored strongpoint-- the lead vehicle covers a forward arc, the middle covers the flank and half of the front, and the rear vehicle covers your own lines, as well as still being able to cover a portion of the front. As a Space Marine player, one of the things I really hate seeing across the table is a squadron of Leman Russes deployed in an intelligent formation, because I know there's really nowhere I can hide from all three of them at once, and the Guardsmen aren't going to be coming to me.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 10:30 AM

Well said horus. Couldnt agree more
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-08, 11:08 AM

Trigger's Flag is: England

Yeah thats exactly my point. The reason to take Leman Russ is the Battle Cannon. When I say 'by that logic' I don't mean you should

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode