Best Greater Daemon- and no special characters - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-08, 06:50 PM

Before they vote I think that people would do well to consider the following qualifier: Do you deep strike aggressively? By this I mean, do you typically try to position your daemons as close as necessary to guarantee an assault the turn after deep striking? Even with icons, which are by no means an economical or even practical solution in many cases, aggressively deep striking has its risks and as I don't believe that there is a correct answer to this question it comes down to a matter of play style.

If you do not consistently deep strike aggressively, then for the points you'll spend on a greater daemon a Bloodthirster is the best choice. He has the same mobility as a Lord of Change, is nearly as durable, and has the potential to cause a great deal more damage when he does assault. In particular, its potential for S 8 attacks makes it an excellent choice as an independent character and/or monstrous creature killer and out of the four greater daemon options, the Bloodthirster stands the best chance of pulling down a landraider.

If you do consistently deep strike aggressively, then a Great Unclean One is a better buy. Cheap and staggeringly durable as only one in four wounds from a AP 3 or worse weapon will actually stick, the Great Unclean One often takes more firepower to put down than a landraider. Sure its slow and spiteful so when you need to roll a three to assault you will almost certainly get a two but the threat it poses, due mainly to S 6 coupled with noxious touch, can not be ignored provided it starts about six inches from your opponent's battle line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-08, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
Before they vote I think that people would do well to consider the following qualifier: Do you deep strike aggressively? By this I mean, do you typically try to position your daemons as close as necessary to guarantee an assault the turn after deep striking? Even with icons, which are by no means an economical or even practical solution in many cases, aggressively deep striking has its risks and as I don't believe that there is a correct answer to this question it comes down to a matter of play style.

If you do not consistently deep strike aggressively, then for the points you'll spend on a greater daemon a Bloodthirster is the best choice. He has the same mobility as a Lord of Change, is nearly as durable, and has the potential to cause a great deal more damage when he does assault. In particular, its potential for S 8 attacks makes it an excellent choice as an independent character and/or monstrous creature killer and out of the four greater daemon options, the Bloodthirster stands the best chance of pulling down a landraider.

If you do consistently deep strike aggressively, then a Great Unclean One is a better buy. Cheap and staggeringly durable as only one in four wounds from a AP 3 or worse weapon will actually stick, the Great Unclean One often takes more firepower to put down than a landraider. Sure its slow and spiteful so when you need to roll a three to assault you will almost certainly get a two but the threat it poses, due mainly to S 6 coupled with noxious touch, can not be ignored provided it starts about six inches from your opponent's battle line.

this is the point really...choose what greater daemon is best for your tatics

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-08, 11:37 PM

I would have to agree with Wraithian about the Keeper of Secrets.

My main reason would be due to a game I played recently against another individual playing a Bloodthirster in his army. Bloodthirster can not deal with being swamped by a horde army. Most of the Greater Daemons can't. I was playing an Ork army and charged the bloodthirster with about 20 orks who had 2 nobz with power claws. Yeah he killed 4 of me orks. With all my normal attacks he saved, but the two power attacks beat the smack out of him. I killed him in under two turns. I lost maybe half of me orks.

Keeper of Secrets can get out of close combat with the Hit and Run ability. On top of that it is NO WAY SLOW. It can be just as fast as the Bloodthirster...fleet. Also comes with grenades...Bloodthirster charges into cover won't get this advantage. If you desire you can even get the Pavagne and pull them out of cover, like fleet, so you can shoot at them with Keeper or another unit and they won't get that little cover save.

Lord of Change - Get swamped, sucks in close combat. If you want a shooty army, I'd go with Lord of Change for its versitility. If it gets charged you will lose one of your best hitters...KoS can deal with this

Great unclean One - Too slow to be effective unless you roll right. Enemies can just run around him. Again can be swamped.

Above all others I rate KoS as the best Greater Daemon...I just wish they had a special character of him...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode