Versus Ork Warbikes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Default Versus Ork Warbikes

They're fast, they're tough, armed to da teef and even well-armored (for orks). Warbikes represent a serious threat to almost any list, especially Nobz on bikes, with their multiple wounds and access to deadly wargear.

The only saving grace is that they are very expensive, even for orks, so loading up on them takes a lot away from the rest of the force. However, one or two good sized mobs can do some real damage, not to mention setting up a good cover screen for the rest of the army.

So how do you deal with a mob of jacked up orks (or Nobz) charging around on tooled up bike sand sporting cut-down big shootas...hell, they're TL so they'll even hit you more often than not.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 02:53 PM

Brian007's Flag is: USA

I just played an army of all bikes lead by the special character, painboss (for the feel no pain roll) and 1 unit of kopptas. Very fast and tough. This guy has been destroying every army he played and I knew I would play him so I made a list with my Tyranids to beat him. I had 2 tyrants with implant attacks and guards with implant attacks, 4 units of genestealers and 3 carnifexs with implant attacks. The monstrous creature took away saves/feel no pain and could handle the high toughness plus the implant attacks gave those nobz 2 wounds at a time and the rending from the genestealers took away the feel no pain/saves. Lets just say that it was a bad day for Wazdakka Gutsmek and da boyz!!!
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian007 View Post
I just played an army of all bikes lead by the special character, painboss (for the feel no pain roll) and 1 unit of kopptas. Very fast and tough. This guy has been destroying every army he played and I knew I would play him so I made a list with my Tyranids to beat him. I had 2 tyrants with implant attacks and guards with implant attacks, 4 units of genestealers and 3 carnifexs with implant attacks. The monstrous creature took away saves/feel no pain and could handle the high toughness plus the implant attacks gave those nobz 2 wounds at a time and the rending from the genestealers took away the feel no pain/saves. Lets just say that it was a bad day for Wazdakka Gutsmek and da boyz!!!
What if you were to have a very general list and tactics? Having formed your entire list to beat him isn't...exceedingly sportsmanlike.

As for the nobz on bikes, and orks in general, I'd suggest sarcrifical squads, with flamer counter-chargers to wipe up the mess. They're just orks on loud tricycles. Fire is still a cure-all for counter-chargers.

And a quick question, nobz with powerklaws are s9 on the charge? I'd say swamp them with lesser daemons or devote an exceptional amount of s8+ shots directly at them.

Or just play BT and carve them up

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 06:52 PM

Brian007's Flag is: USA

Well the player wanted other players to try to beat him. He for what ever reason thought that his list could not be beat. So to make a list to beat him in my book was just fine. The original question was "how would you deal with this list". Well I did deal with it. So Lordwaffles if you can tell me that you never made a list to play against a certain army list then I will take your comment about me being unsportsman like but I don't think you can say that.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 07:01 PM
Tactless Tactician

The rough part is the Toughness boost...

But you'll still do plenty of damage if you hit 'em with enough shots.

Cover OR Armor saves, in the final analysis, if there are bikes, there are never more than twelve per squad... so just shoot the bejesus out of them. Odds are good they're in front anyhow.

Their small squad cap means that their leadership plummets rapidly as they take casualties, so you don't even need to wipe a squad out- just inflict a FEW casualties and they can very likely be made to run.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 07:23 PM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Turn every single gun I can on them, the thought of having to face something like this scares me haha.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 08:11 PM

Leatharnak's Flag is: USA

Massed fire power direct at a single unit often destroy's that unit's fighting power. This is what I would recommend. Unless you were leading another horde of orks at the bikaz, in which case you run your sacrificial units in while you get a kan or dread on line to kleave them in twain and burn them with scorchas. Burnas would probably do pretty well too. Glorious power weapon flamethrowers!

Currently Painting: Noffin'...yet
Currently Modeling: Cybork Nobz with Kromlech Legs and Torsos

"For Gork...or possibly Mork."

"Though my guards may sleep and ships may rest at anchor, our foes know full well that big guns never tire."
--Lufgt Huron, the Tyrant of Badab

"Sir, do you know they've cut us off? We're entirely surrounded."
"Those poor bastards," Puller said. "They've got us right where we want 'em. We can shoot in every direction now."
--From Marine! The Life Of Lt. Gen. Lewis B. (Chesty) Puller USMC (Ret.) By Burke Davis

post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 08:40 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

I faced a mob of 6 nobs with a painboy mixed in on bikes. These guys are as people are saying are utterly nasty, especially since this guy also attached a warboss on a bike with them. I play marines, and even in CC they tore me to pieces. Toughness 5 makes them hard to handle even for marines. It also didn't help that we did dawn of war setup and on the first turn he was almost in CC range. It was rather sad, an entire army of marines shooting them only managed to kill 2 of the nobs. He came in on my lines decimated my 10 man tac squad and a terminator librarian who failed to cause any wounds. I even counter attacked with 10 assault marines and a chaplain, and caused 3 wounds...

It was a sad sad day for my army, and I called it on turn 3. The only saving grace is that in one turn my land raider rolled forward and blew up two battle wagons killing another 11 boys in the explosion.

In short, throw as much fire down range as you can especially ap1 ap2 stuff so you negate those feel no pain saves.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013

Last edited by Taggerung; 11-07-08 at 08:44 PM.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 09:15 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

This is a nightmare scenario for shooting armies like guard and tau. A tough CC unit mounted on bikes is hard for any army to take down. How do armies with little to no close combat ability take them down? I guess the answer is "Spray and Pray." Hit them with every single weapon that can fire at them. Maybe load up on conscripts and tie them down?

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 09:31 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

I have played 2 games vs the classical 10 retardnob-bikers unit with warbozz army and won both.
Basically ive been shooting what i can afford each turn on them and tossed them backwards with LoS and DS a few Termies close to them as distraction. Yes those dies on the Ork turn for sure but its an easy and cheap bait for the Ork player to catch, which tend to happen each time. Even more likely if you have a heavy flamer and there is a squad of Lootaz close by, Ork players protect them madly

In short i shoot them with heavy weapons that can be spared each turn to make sure that hits = dead if they dont save. I also try to distract/bait them with some cheap unit to buy time for more shooting.
Since units like nob bikerz are so extremly expensive they must outpreform themselves each game to give the player that fields them a chance of winning. Distract that, force him to kill cheap units with them, preferably behind his lines which forces him to move backwards instead of towards your main part of the army. When they do get close pick a unit for sacrifice and distance it from the rest of the army and let it die. Get some counterassault unit(s) ready reasonably close to countercharge whats left and mop up

If you play an CC army they will charge one unit and kill it, then die horribly on the countercharge when you gang up on them, no real problems there

Normal Ork warbikes dies on heavy bolter eq fire, just plough in enough volume and they dissapear in a cloud of green goo just like all other Orks

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode