predator destructor vs whirlwind - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

predator destructor vs whirlwind

both around around 85 pts. What do you prefer and why? Both good at killing orks(yay!!!)
thanks
Gdog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 09:08 AM

TheUnmarked's Flag is: New Zealand

Whirlwind is good if there is lots of cover on the map but if there isnt then the pred will do better (better armour) Orks really benefit from cover well (often giving them something more than a 6+ save) so the incendiary rounds in the whirlie will really be valuable.
Personnally I like both though and will use them as needed more often than not
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 09:17 AM
Tactless Tactician

As an Ork player, Whirlwinds don't scare me.

Preds, on the other hand, with their ability to blast the bejesus out of me on the run? Eesh.

Scarier than EITHER, in terms of bug spray, is a Razorback with twin-linked Heavy Bolter, because it doesn't take up FOC space and does much the same job as the Pred.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 11:54 AM

whirlwind is a very good tank to take on large units but it needs to be supported in it's killingy business. best bet is to blast away a unit then smack said unit with a hail of rapid fire or an assault.... not much survives that.... pred then is good against the higher T guys and the overall stronger units. Say nobs or mega armoured nobs etc. While whirlwind for the boyz etc. same applies to every other army they're up against... Team them up and it's hella better

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 02:20 PM

I think the preds are quite significantly better.

Incendiary rounds aren’t as great as they initially appear. You go from a 1/3 chance of killing an ork in cover with a normal round (or heavy bolter hit) to a with incendiary. That’s better, but it’s not quite an issue of going from useless to amazing. It isn’t enough to make me feel that I must have something able to do that. If the target unit has armour on you are probably going to fire a normal round anyway. Incendiary rounds do work against stuff with crazy cover saves, particularly eldar with their low toughness and armour, but even then these units tend to be small and often spread around over different levels of a ruin where they are very hard to hit many times. Lots of games will be against MEQs that don’t use cover saves against you anyway.

The most obvious advantage the WW has is being able to fire from out of sight. That’s great, if you have something to hide behind, don’t mind inaccuracy, don’t need to move and shoot and so on. The pred has higher front armour and can fire a gun after moving, which the whirwind can only do directly. Bearing in mind that you are going to be coming on from reserve in at least one game in three, all dawn of war games and perhaps some others if you want, that’s important. Knocking out a transport in the early stages of a game like that can make all the difference.

The pred averages 5-6 hits a turn, which is pretty good. A very good ordnance hit can get a lot more than that. It’s difficult to compare the average number of hits over a game to be honest but I think the pred probably gets more. It doesn’t care if units are spread out or small. If you need to blow up a truck or some deff koptas, the pred is way superior. The pred has an autocannon too, so it’s much more dangerous for vehicles. It hits things harder and more often.

On the whole I think that the predator is a fantastic buy. The whirlwind is also good, but is rather more reliant on the right situations coming along. The pred can quite happily fire at just about anything.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 02:39 PM

well said someguy... I agree with you on the castellan anyway... I only use vengeance missiles when I field mine but as it's my only long range tank ( a vindicator and a crusader being the other 2) It's nearly always there...

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-08, 02:53 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've got two Preds in my list as my mate plays with Tau, and their measly toughness and armour is no match for 16 Ap 4 shots.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

okay ithink the majority of the members who voted on this thread prefer the predator
so how do you kit yours out and what variant.
Personally Baal pred with heavy bolters.
Thanks
Gdog
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 09:24 AM

That really depends then. Baal preds are only available from one codex. The other variants are available from several others. Personally it would be baal for anti infantry and light vehicle, Annihilator with sponson lascannons for the rest

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 03:05 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, I'd rather use Autocannon and Heavy Bolters for the point I mentioned before. I prefer my Devastator Squad and Tacticals do the Tank Hunting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode