Possessed or non Possessed? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-16, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dark Apostle Marduk's Avatar
Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Terra
Posts: 91
Reputation: 2
Default Possessed or non Possessed?

So I have been hearing some rumors around the mill about the use of Possessed marines. I have been kind of skeptical, and I wanted to hear your guy's opinions.

From people I ask they usually say if I were going to play something of their nature, just use Berzerkers.

On the other hand, some people say that if you're really intent on using possessed, you should play Gal Vorbak, but they don't have their own rules, right??

What do you guys think?

Dark Apostle Marduk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-16, 09:54 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

They have a new formation in the Crimson Slaughter book, a Daemon Prince and 2-5 units of Possessed - for as long as the Possessed remain within I think 12" of the Prince they get WS5, I5 and Rending, which is probably enough to make them okayish. Better than Berzerkers, at any rate - neither Possessed nor Berzerkers are very impressive, truth be told, but the Crimson Slaughter Possessed I think have potential. The possibility of getting Beast movement is just really helpful, although sadly it kinda stops them from using transports and 6" + Run isn't really enough this edition. Most people will say Possessed are absolute garbage, and to be frank they are (look at their rules and then look at Wulfen and weep; weep!), but most people will also tell you that you can't win with CSM ever and they're a shitty terrible army that has nothing good at all, which is patently wrong, so I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope for a Possessed list, almost certainly centred around the aforementioned Crimson Slaughter formation, will prove to be at least viable if not particularly spectacular.

The Gal Vorbak have rules in 30k, and are a totally different animal (they're monsters, tough as nails and they're coming to punch you in the balls very very hard and make you never have children).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-16, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dark Apostle Marduk's Avatar
Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Terra
Posts: 91
Reputation: 2
Default

I did read about the Crimson Slaughter Possessed and looked interesting. I have never played with them simply because I have a huge interest in the fluff. Unfortunatly I am kind out of options at the moment and want some kind of CC unit. I asked a couple people at a GW store near me, and both seem to agree that if I had to choose a unit, I should go with Berzerkers. However, the fluff kinda makes me think different because I don't think zerkers would be in a Word Bearers army. However, they are Undivided so technically, it could happen.

I just really want a Gal Vorbak unit and play with their rules in a 40k match. hah... maybe I'll get someone who really doesn't give a crap and let me. ha

Dark Apostle Marduk is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 12:32 AM
Senior Member
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mons (Belgium)
Posts: 117
Reputation: 1
Default

"The Tormented" (i.e. Daemon Prince + 2 units of Possessed WS5, I5, S5 and Rending) seems to be a "Black Legion" formation (so, without the "Slaves to the Voices" table, but the usual "Vessels of Chaos" one). These would remain the closest Possessed to the ForgeWorld Gal Vorbak of HH.

The new "Crimson Slaughter" seems to have a "Dark Covenant" formation, with one unit of Possessed getting "Zealot" (i.e. with "Hatred") and "Feel no Pain !" when in 12'' of a Dark Apostle who is shouting instead of shooting. That could be interesting too, with 1-3 Space Marines units getting the same bonuses.

I play Word Bearers too, on a fluffy base coming from BL HH books (principally "The First Heretic"), and Possessed (Gal Vorbak inheritance) are the first unit I put in every list. The best results I've had with them is with the "Crimson Slaughter" ones : marked by Slaanesh, with an Icon of Excess and a (unaligned, with Malefic Daemonology) Possessed Sorcerer joining.

What I would like to try up next : two units of Possessed, one marked by Khorne, the other by Slaanesh and a Landraider. That gives me 1/3 chances for each unit for the first turn to be able to make their transport "Shrouded". If it is the case, that unit moves into the Landraider, which moves on 12'' and uses smoke launchers for a 3+ cover save at first turn (being in charge range at second turn, with a well-placed Dirge Caster and, maybe, Destroyer Blades too). But it costs a lot ;)

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
alt-f4 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dark Apostle Marduk's Avatar
Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Terra
Posts: 91
Reputation: 2
Default

I was actually thinking more from the novel "The Unburdened". Much more descriptive of the Gal Vorbak.

However, that is a pretty awesome book.

I'm thinking I may just even use the models as the Crimson Slaughter formation, which doesn't sound too awful at all.

Dark Apostle Marduk is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 09:08 AM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
What I would like to try up next : two units of Possessed, one marked by Khorne, the other by Slaanesh and a Landraider. That gives me 1/3 chances for each unit for the first turn to be able to make their transport "Shrouded". If it is the case, that unit moves into the Landraider, which moves on 12'' and uses smoke launchers for a 3+ cover save at first turn (being in charge range at second turn, with a well-placed Dirge Caster and, maybe, Destroyer Blades too).
I'm pretty sure that Slaves to the Voices doesn't apply to your transport vehicle as well, amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Apostle Marduk View Post
I asked a couple people at a GW store near me, and both seem to agree that if I had to choose a unit, I should go with Berzerkers. However, the fluff kinda makes me think different because I don't think zerkers would be in a Word Bearers army. However, they are Undivided so technically, it could happen.
I guess out of the two Berzerkers are the least bad.

What my friend did with his Possessed was take them off their 25mm bases, and glue two Possessed to each 40mm base. Now he runs them as Spawn, and to be honest I think if you're going to run a melee unit as CSM it's going to have to be Spawn as they're fast, tough, and reasonably durable, and make an excellent home for a Biker/Juggernaught Lord to boot.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mons (Belgium)
Posts: 117
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I'm pretty sure that Slaves to the Voices doesn't apply to your transport vehicle as well, amigo.
In this case, they do, as it is clearly stated :

"1 Spirit Beacons : The unit, and any vehicle they are embarked upon, gains the Shrouded special rule"

Note that it comes from the first version of the "Crimson Slaughter" supplement, though. The formation comes from the revised version, where everything else could have changed ...

Quote:
I guess out of the two Berzerkers are the least bad.

What my friend did with his Possessed was take them off their 25mm bases, and glue two Possessed to each 40mm base. Now he runs them as Spawn, and to be honest I think if you're going to run a melee unit as CSM it's going to have to be Spawn as they're fast, tough, and reasonably durable, and make an excellent home for a Biker/Juggernaught Lord to boot.
That's also an option, yes. Another thing about the Possessed : into their few options, there is the possibility to give two "Gifts of Mutation" to the Champion. But Chaos Boons are already too random and not useful for usual CSM, and it is even worse for Possessed, as some match abilities that they already have, while other ones are a complete waste ("Great, I now have Fearless BS 5 Possessed" )

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
alt-f4 is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mons (Belgium)
Posts: 117
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Apostle Marduk View Post
I was actually thinking more from the novel "The Unburdened". Much more descriptive of the Gal Vorbak.

However, that is a pretty awesome book.

I'm thinking I may just even use the models as the Crimson Slaughter formation, which doesn't sound too awful at all.
I haven't read "The Unburdened" yes but, at first sight (from the pitch of the book), our point of views differ : the Word Bearers that Lorgar chose to deploy on Calth have been part of the Second Purge of the Legion, i.e. getting rid of those who remained too close to the Imperium, the fight against it, and the hatred to the Ultramarines, while his true Blessed Sons followed him into the rest of the Shadow Crusade. The real Gal Vorbak has almost been wiped out on Isstvan V. Those upon Calth were a second batch that Argel Tal tried to recreate (but with no such success as Ingethel did upon the Orpheus Lament).

This symbolizes the Word Bearers schism (that still exists in 40K) between the secular view (Erebus and the Dark Council) and the regular one (a secluded Lorgar in the Templum Inficio). The former takes part into Black Crusades, while the latter is more spiritual and religious, worshipping Chaos Gods, whatever the Imperium exists or not.

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
alt-f4 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 11:21 AM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
In this case, they do, as it is clearly stated :

"1 Spirit Beacons : The unit, and any vehicle they are embarked upon, gains the Shrouded special rule"

Note that it comes from the first version of the "Crimson Slaughter" supplement, though. The formation comes from the revised version, where everything else could have changed ...
Well bugger me sideways and call me Sally, that's neat as hell.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-16, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dark Apostle Marduk's Avatar
Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Terra
Posts: 91
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
almost been wiped out
Key words there. :D They are in more than one novel, bud. Thanks for the input though!

Dark Apostle Marduk is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome