Wraith Loadout Question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Default Wraith Loadout Question

Hey all! Expanding my 'cron army with 6 Wraiths on a wicked deal from a guy in my gaming group. They're already put together but I'm pretty nimble with a knife and putty and have no real idea how they play (aside from that I like them). My question to you: what's the best use of these guys? Two squads of three, one squad of 6, whip coils all over the place, only one or two...I'm at a loss. Never really considered running much aside from Warriors, Immortals, and Scarabs, with a Monolith and some Night Scythes (maybe a Ghost Ark one day).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for reading

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 08:53 PM
Rattlehead

Run as many squads of Wraiths as you have squads of Spyders and Scarabs so you can Canoptek Harvest them (because regular Wraiths only ruin people's day, rather than make them quit miniature wargaming entirely). Everyone gets Whip Coils. Donezo.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

No Spyders (ever), so no Canoptek Harvest.

Whip coils are really worth it on every model, eh?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Whip coils are really worth it on every model, eh?
Yes, massed I5 attacks are better than some at step 5 and some at 2.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Yes, massed I5 attacks are better than some at step 5 and some at 2.
Mint. Considering it's one point per Initiative gained per model I seriously doubt I'd ever have problems finding the space in a list.

I guess the only remaining question is two squads of three or one of six? A few games in I'd figure it out myself, but I game infrequently and even less frequently with my (now about 1250 points of) Necrons.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 05:21 PM
Rattlehead

I'd probably go with two squads of three, since you're very fast, ignore terrain and can re-roll charge distances; anything you need six Wraiths for can probably be charged by both units without too much difficulty, and since you're Fearless you don't need bigger squads for morale, and since you're purely combat with no shooting there's no risk of shooting with one squad and leaving the other out of range. In return you can engage more targets, and you're even harder to kill (you can't get all six wiped out by some kind of insane dakka unit, which are becoming more and more common). For fast melee units, I'd advocate always bringing a maximised number of minimised squads. It's usually applicable to all other kinds of units to - fill out your FOC before you fill out your squads. It's almost always better to do so unless you're using a lot of unit-based buffs.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-07-16 at 05:23 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 08:30 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Thank you, sweet and blessed child, for not running a Canoptek harvest. Ever since 12 Wraiths in 2 Harvests mauled my entire 1850 point Khorne Daemonkin list in one big tarpit over an entire game and lost a grand total of 2 Wraiths (with cruel wound allocation shenanigans for the few wounds that got through the 3++/4+)...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 01-07-16 at 08:32 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Well reasoned thoughts @MidnightSun , looks like I have three Wraiths to jury rig some coils onto. Separate squads it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Thank you, sweet and blessed child, for not running a Canoptek harvest.
I really just don't like Spyders. They are stupid looking and rules that crush people's wills to live don't make me want to buy models.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 08:47 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Well reasoned thoughts @MidnightSun , looks like I have three Wraiths to jury rig some coils onto. Separate squads it is!
Honestly, it's not uncommon to find people who are surprised that Wraiths aren't I5 base, so universally bought is that upgrade - it looks like it'd make them a pain in the ass to carry about the place, so I wouldn't bother (as long as everyone who has the same loadout looks the same, the 10% of people who know that Whip Coils aren't standard issue won't care).

Quote:
I really just don't like Spyders. They are stupid looking and rules that crush people's wills to live don't make me want to buy models.
We need more people like you in this hobby, son.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
it looks like it'd make them a pain in the ass to carry about the place
Ain't that the damned truth. I was thinking of breaking one off each of the guys with for the ones without and having one on each model, but they're so fiddly! Cool looking for sure but nerve wracking from a transportation point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
We need more people like you in this hobby, son.
We exist!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode