Sternguard devastators - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Default Sternguard devastators

I was surprised to find that a squad of 5 sternguard with 2 lascannons costs less than a squad of 5 devastators with 2 lascannons. 2 units of 5 sternguard with 4 lascannons would cost the same amount as a 10 man devastator squad with 4 lascannons (since the devs pay less for their 2nd 5 guys.

Devastators pay a lot less for other guns, so sternguard are only cheaper if it's lascannons that you want. I do want lascannons though.

2 units of stenrguard would use up 2 elites slots, though if you wanted you could make them into 10 man units and send the other guys off with combi weps or something.

It seems to me that the sternguard are far better. They are all veterans with an extra attack and ld9, and the guys who don't have lascannons get special bolters (which to be fair they won't fire all that often).

You can make the sternguard into scoring units if you take pedro as well, which is a major advantage over the devastators. They would be great for defending your objective in take and hold games.

5 guys with 2 lascannons is a fairly effective set up and sternguard do it better. Why take devastators?

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 01:51 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

The main reason is the use of the much-coveted elites spots, and the fact the sarge gets a signum, which is a nice bonus.

Plus there's the fact that most people don't use devastators at all these days. Tanks are cheaper, and if you take a Forgemaster you can take dreads as either elite or HS.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 02:21 PM

Looks like somebody found a loophole in the codex. Good Job man. This is the first instance I've seen so far since the new codex was released.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 02:40 PM

hmmm that got me thinking nice work!!! the sternguard that i 'WAS' getting rid off might just stay around for a while lol!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 04:06 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Hrm... I'm interested to see what we could come up with using Sternguard with lascannons and Devastators with lascannons in a list... *stores that idea away for future use with her CFists*
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 04:10 PM
Tactless Tactician

It's only viable if you're willing to kiss their special ammo goodbye and probably waste that extra attack of theirs by keeping them well away from any fighting.

Cheaper, sure. More points-efficient? Not really.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 04:19 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I think the sternguard are one of the few genuinely useful, abusable units in the new dex. They;re pretty much always good no matter what.

And yeah, giving them lascannons means keeping them far back, which means their special bolters and stats are useless.

Frankly, I think the best use for sternies is as a pod squad.
Plasguns and combi-plas, or a mix with meltas and combi-meltas. Drop in, split off and vaporize any unit within range. Wipe units of terminators, vape tanks, nuke MCs and ICs alike...just hope you picked a juicy target, because they;re going to rape you with return fire.

That or drop in on an objective and hold the hell out of it

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 04:27 PM
Tactless Tactician

I'm enough of a jerk I'm debating putting them in a transport, rolling it forward as a sort of "canned heat" unit.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 05:07 PM

Go for it Cole. Jerk or not, do it anyway just to see the tears in your opponents eyes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 07:33 PM

yh lol sounds awsome!!i just think its kool for some of the battles where the oponent takes loads of tanks and the bigger monsters im gonna give it a try and if it fails it fails but its definatly handy and worth a butch !!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode