What to equip raptors with? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Default What to equip raptors with?

I've decided to add some raptors as a fast attack element. I'm thinking of using two meltas and a plasma gun. Does anybody else have preferences as to what to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 04:11 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

You can get 3 specials in a raptor squad?
I like a fist and meltas, but if you can have 3 then a plasgun is a good addition.
IoK if you take a fist, that extra attack is nice for the fist. IoS is a goods choice too, I like I5 in an assault. Take a power weapon or claws to maximize the benefit

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 06:02 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

These days, you're limited to two weapons. I'd bring a flamer and a melta. The melta is generally useful, and the flamer can help alleviate some of the problems with feeding the Raptors to a large mob of Orks, gaunts, or what have you by blasting four or five of 'em before you charge in. The Aspiring Champion should definitely have a power fist. The icon you choose should align more with the rest of the army than what's actually practical, but if that's not a concern, an Icon of Khorne works well given that it's a dedicated assault unit.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 06:41 PM

Inquisitor Aurelius's Flag is: Canada

Fluff-gamers-who-believe-in-thematically-consistent-armies united!

Hmm, not as pithy as I'd hoped...

Anyway. Personally, I like six Raptors - partially because that's what I've got, but it does make for a nice, affordable unit that's still got some punch. Two meltaguns (perfect for a unit that moves 12"), an AC with twin lightning claws, and an IoK to round it out. You've got your anti-tank punch, and two S8, AP1 shots going into combat, followed by twenty "regular" attacks and five from the AC on the charge. Never hit a tarpit if you can avoid it (and you usually can with jump packs) - gun for low-model, high-cost units. And all that for 210 points. Nothing better than highly mobile meltas for taking out a Land Raider. Just remember to avoid squads with more than twenty models, or the lethal combination of power weapons and high Initiative.

Four Colditz salads and a Hermann Goering.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 07:24 PM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

I am nearly with you. I always field a squad of 8 with lightning claws and a brace of Melta guns for the same reasons as Inq Aur.

I find that eight are quite able to play against anything but massive horde units.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-08, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Reference Son of Horus; you are right. I checked my shiney new codex and there are only two specials and an AC. Well, it's better than nought.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 02:42 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I like themes in my army.

My main theme is that the army's commander is a tactical genius who puts the best equipped units into the best positions to do the most damage, regardless of their personal cult choices. He's quite egalitarian like that

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 04:21 AM

i go with pretty much what the box comes with got blisters though to fill them out, my champ runs around with claws and MoK with the squad, 10 man squad 2 meltas though im tempted to take one as a flamer now....cheeper and im really liking how my flamers are working with my sm's the champ comes with a melta bomb because the lack of pf's but the squad chews up infantry and the champ is a beast, 4 LC attacks 5 on the charge, really do enjoy that squad....just need to space them out better...last game i had them in plasma cannons cut them down short

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode