centurions and Librarian councle - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-15, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Usaal's Flag is: Canada

Default centurions and Librarian councle

So the latest pain in my A$$ is a "Friends" list including 6 Centurions ( 1 with lascannon and split fire), then that caster group/counsel thing... the one that casts spells on 2+.

I am trying to find a way to put him on the defensive, rather than hiding from it and feeding it Rhino's to block line of site.

I did attempt to take out my IG and hit them with Basilisks and what not, but then Invisibility put a stop to that
Tried Drop pod with Dread, and one with Grey hunters.... not enough damage.
Tried Hades Drills from DkoK... such a usless unit in this edition
Most luck I have had is with Daemons and the Book of True names... but that takes a few rolls to have line up for the book and cursed earth...

Has anyone had any luck pushing this squad back, or taking it out?
I have Nids, IG, SpaceWolves, Chaos and Daemons... any tips to help me with them would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 12:00 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Every time I have charged a Centurion squad, Invisible or not, I have beat them even if it took a couple rounds of combat. Key thing is once they're tied up they can't do much.

At least they aren't showing up in Drop Pods...

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

That's true, the lack of overwatch is nice for them, my issue is getting up to them.

Altho last night I did a "Test" run of a squad of 20 daemonettes running straight at them. Even with re-rolls they were only getting about 3-5 a round. The daemons were fast enough that I still hit em with an over kill number... so that may be my answer for them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 02:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Have you given any thought to using a culexus assassin to disrupt the psychic powers from working? Or a vindicare to pick off librarians?

How about a knight errant with thermal cannon?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 06:04 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

What army do you want to use?

p.s. Culexus for the win.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 07:30 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Thunderwolf cavalry in CC? Fast and tough enough to get in and will certainly put a dent in them.
You don't have to kill them, just stop your opponent from using them effectively. Any fast unit that can survive into CC and hold them in it for the game should be considered a win, especially as it is a huge points sink that will now be doing nothing except trying to survive. I'd use Ork Stormboyz or similar for the same effect.
All those las-cannons, points and Psychic powers tied up in one unit, sounds like a huge bonus for his opponents.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 04:45 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Culexus, Karanak--those strike me as the best options.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 07:23 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Why not take your own Librarian Council, so you can Deny what they do?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-15, 09:09 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Why not take your own Librarian Council, so you can Deny what they do?
Not a chance. A Librarian Conclave can *easily* push any given power through on 10 to 12 power dice if they really want, and chances are they're putting the four they want through on 3 or 4 dice each. 2+ to harness with a re-roll from Tigurius if you somehow fail it is bloody reliable, and the only powers they cast are Blessings so good luck Denying them.

I've been running this unit, and it's quite simple to deal with;
1. Ignore it. It's 24" range, 6" move per turn Slow and Purposeful. It costs 700 fucking points to be any good. Often, it rolls up shit powers and can't actually function (if you don't get Invisibility/Endurance AND Perfect Timing, the build is a pile of shit and the unit just falls flat on its' face).
2. Get into combat with it. With, like, anything. It's terrible in melee for the cost. A horde of Fearless models is ideal.
3. Play the mission. They can't kill everything, and chances are the rest of the Marine army is doing shit-all damage to you because Marines don't kill people to win games. Sit your butt on the objectives, in cover, and laugh as he kills some dudes while you blaze the rest of his fragile army off the board and win because he can't sit on the objectives as well as you can (Marines are usually king of this, but since he's got Centurions and a Conclave he obviously doesn't have the Battle Company built for OS).
4. Wait it out. At some point, this guy is going to roll badly on powers, and realise that this is honestly a shitty build that gambles hugely on a couple of dice rolls.

With the Centurion/Conclave star, I've beaten Khorne Daemonkin twice, lost to CSM badly once (they deployed out of range, shot the rest of my army to bits, and then charged the Centurionstar once it was the only thing left on the board - not hard when it costs a ridiculous number of points), twice to Necrons with CSM allies (shot up the rest of my army because Necrons are brilliant at killing mech Marines, and then either ignored the Centurionstar because Necrons don't really care about 15 twin-linked Shred Ignores Cover Grav shots per turn or tied it up in combat with Orikan), and once to Eldar (lost some stuff to it, but then ignored it because I was way out of range of most of his army - on a 4x4 board at 2000pts no less - and given that Eldar have 12" movement on their slowest unit, he was easily able to simply avoid it for the rest of the game).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-15, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I do mostly enjoy Chaos, either marines or Daemons

So My unit to take on the grave centurions seems to be mostly Daemons. As they have no armor save.
I ran a test run of 20 Daemonettes with herald add-ons, it was great fun for me, not so much for him.

Decimator with his big cannon was nice for out ranging them... but expensive for what he did.

I don't have any of the assassins, but I am looking into getting the board game ones as they are very sweet looking.

I was wondering what kind of units I should take in a Space wolf army though, as I want to get my Space Viking on, but I am scared to field them due to these weapons. mostly because if I throw 2-3 units at him to confuse his shooting, I feel that it pulls resources away from other sections of the battlefield that could hinder my chance of victory.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode