centurions and Librarian councle - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-15, 01:42 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
1. Ignore it. It's 24" range, 6" move per turn Slow and Purposeful. It costs 700 fucking points to be any good. Often, it rolls up shit powers and can't actually function (if you don't get Invisibility/Endurance AND Perfect Timing, the build is a pile of shit and the unit just falls flat on its' face).
With Tigurius the Conclave effectively makes about 10 rolls on Telepathy, so they have a near guarantee at Invisibility. I've seen some players take Sanctic powers for Gate of Infinity too, to counter-balance mobility issues (even if the doubles risk).

A HoS with Beguilement (rerolls to hit against Invisibility on your fistfuls of dice? yes please!) and 20 Daemonettes/Seekers that grav cannons nearly can't hurt does sound like a good option. Daemons in general are pretty happy against grav centurions, I suppose. Flesh Hounds wouldn't do half bad either (even if they mostly do Blessings, the Collars of Khorne won't hurt), especially with a Hatred JuggerHerald. Plus would also allow a good set of bodies for Karanak to spike any of his doubles, if you're in the area. Possibly go Daemonkin (Fearless rather than Instability? don't mind if I do!) for the Gorepack bonus of Preferred Enemy: Psykers (along with free hits on Invisible enemies from gaining Hammer of Wrath). Plus if you don't want to focus on killing them, you can build your list as MSU maxed out double Gorepack and tie them up with one or two 5-Hound packs per turn--efficient use of 80 point units, to lock up a 700 point Death Star!*

I would say "with so many points invested in that unit, you can play around it pretty well overwhelming it with MSU units with no armor save, but... still, beware the rest of your opponent's list. I just fought a CentStar that also brought 50 Scouts along (and Elias Isadon, so Be'lakor had to start in reserve to not get splatted by his fancy post-deployment ability), and all those bolters really wreaked havoc on my Daemonettes.

(*barring the frustrating ITC FAQ ruling that lets you Gate out of close combat)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 08-25-15 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-15, 05:19 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
With Tigurius the Conclave effectively makes about 10 rolls on Telepathy, so they have a near guarantee at Invisibility. I've seen some players take Sanctic powers for Gate of Infinity too, to counter-balance mobility issues (even if the doubles risk).
The problem there is that they can't re-roll powers they already have, and they don't get multiple instances of Psychic Focus. You can roll 7/9 times on Telepathy, but then you haven't got Gate or Perfect Timing, at least one of which is vital to the Deathstar (without Gate, you sit there and they avoid you because believe me after playing with it, 6" per turn on that many points will absolutely lose you the game through sitting around being out of 24" range; without Perfect Timing, your damage output drops to no way near what 600pts+ of dudes should be doing). You also get, at best, the Telepathy powers to use, and with Dominate and Hallucinations both being stinky garbage and a single instance of Psychic Shriek being very unreliable, that's not really impressive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
(barring the frustrating ITC FAQ ruling that lets you Gate out of close combat)
Er, that's not an ITC specific, that's in the core rules. I guess it might also be in the ITC FAQ, but it's pretty clear cut in the rulebook.

I've been thinking about putting Cypher in my Centurions to give them Shrouded and Hit and Run, which would solve some issues, but I'm not totally sure on it yet (yes, technically you can't Infiltrate FAQ blah blah but I've never seen that played by the FAQ ruling outside of a tournament).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 08-25-15 at 05:38 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-15, 06:45 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I've been thinking about putting Cypher in my Centurions to give them Shrouded and Hit and Run, which would solve some issues, but I'm not totally sure on it yet (yes, technically you can't Infiltrate FAQ blah blah but I've never seen that played by the FAQ ruling outside of a tournament).
You could always deploy them separately and join them on T1, if your opponent is really a stickler about it.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode