Those damn drop pods! Advice please - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Chaos Crusader's Flag is: England

Default Those damn drop pods! Advice please

I seem to be posting quite a bit alately so before anyone gets sick of the sight of me i thought id get one more in...

Drop pods... or dealing with opponents drop pods rather... how do you all go about setting up to minimise their oncoming wrath?

One of my regular opponents (my bro to be exact) runs salamanders and users 3 drop pods in his list (so two auto coming in on turn 1), usually hitting me with a stern guard unit and iron clad dreadnought. I run an aegis line so obvs get cover from that, plus i try to use that in tandem with the terrain around me to minimise the available space for the DP to land, but then just try to weather the storm that comes, generally the stern guard kill something, then die, the ICDN is a little harder to shift...

Not wanting to just focus on my battles tho, id hoped to get a few thoughts on how you take on the task of tackling them.

If this subject has already arisen please forgive me, i had searched for the topic, albeit blurry eyed with a slight hangover this morning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 11:29 AM

NMake your side of the field full with interlocking terrain or swamps and large woods so you can force him to land where you want him to.
otherwise good old things like quad guns and stuff can kill a lot of people with interceptor. Then use plague hulks or defilers or soul grinders and stuff to burn them or or pie plate them.
another option that i love is getting a large unit of plague zombies (couple of 30s) and just leave him stuck in combat with them for the next few turns killing fearless guys.
maulerfiend also will tear most thing up

Last edited by mayegelt; 10-26-14 at 11:32 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 12:59 PM
Rattlehead

A couple of big Cultist units - anything that takes up a lot of space. Deploy as usual, but then put Cultists everywhere within 6"/12" of anything important. He cannot then deep strike into your army - he'll have to place his pods in front of your army, which will block line of sight for the rest of his supporting units or at least give you 5+ cover (as indeed will the thin screen of Cultists in front of your important things).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 01:36 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

As a player of Drop Pods I will confirm both Mayegelt and MidnightSun's suggestions. Area denial and bubble-wrap are your two best friends. My buddy uses Cultists and Rhinos to provide cover to his Vindicator, Forgefiend, and other baddies I want dead T1. Sometimes he's so effective with it my only hope for First Blood is popping a Rhino with Melta Guns, which were it not for the point is truly a waste of a T1 Melta strike. As an added bonus counter-attack units that have a 12" movement (Raptors, Flying Daemon Princes, Warp Talons) are all great at jumping over the bubble wrap to assault that now-vulnerable unit. Heldrakes used to be fuckin' terrifying for me in this aspect because of Vector Strikes, but they still have AP3 Flamers you can use to torch stuff (albeit with a normal firing arc now).

As a side note, are people even using the Heldrakes with template weapons anymore or are they more popularly used as anti-air with the Autocannon? Their Vector Strike barely changed against other Fliers, I feel like they're one of the best AA options out of the Codex....but I don't play as Chaos just against them.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 03:09 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
As a side note, are people even using the Heldrakes with template weapons anymore or are they more popularly used as anti-air with the Autocannon? Their Vector Strike barely changed against other Fliers, I feel like they're one of the best AA options out of the Codex....but I don't play as Chaos just against them.
If they're taken, they're Baleflamers, but they've all but disappeared completely in my area. Hull-mounted is just such a limitation on a Flyer.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

I run two Heldrakes with the Baleflamer, yes the vector strike has been reduced in strength (against ground targets at least) but it can still reliably take on other flyers, and the AP3 template takes out most troop choices in the game still.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-14, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Once again, thanks for the input guys, my forgefiends are my main priority to keep alive from this attack so ill make sure they are well protected from now on.

Just to say, this site is awesome for advice and tips, especially for beginners to the hobby like myself, appreciate it chaps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-14, 02:09 AM

Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands

I generally rely on the interceptor rule on the quad gun or Icarus Las cannon.

A tactic that I've seen being used once or twice is the cannon fodder/bubblewrap technique. Especially effective with artillery or jump infantry/skimmers behind your own line.
Force the enemy to deploy before you can open fire on what's on the field already and then take down whatever pops up.

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-14, 08:43 AM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangus Bane View Post
I generally rely on the interceptor rule on the quad gun or Icarus Las cannon.
While Interceptor is a great answer to Deep-Striking threats, it's somewhat hard to come by without also having Skyfire, forcing it to Snap Shot at a Drop Pod or whatever comes out of one - and therefore, it's unlikely to do any damage even to infantry disembarking from a Pod.

If you use an Imperial army, you could bring Inquisitor Coteaz as an Inquisitorial Detachment, who has an ability that lets his squad shoot at any enemy arriving from reserve within 12". Other than that, I think the only surface-to-surface Interceptor comes from Tau, as an upgrade for Battlesuits (mainly taken on a Riptide - if there's one thing to make Space Marones cry, it's a Str8 AP2 large blast.) If you're not an Imperial or Tau player, it's likely that bubble-wrap and making sure that you dictate which units get sacrificed are your only real defences.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-14, 09:13 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

MSU CSM squads in rhinos seem like they could be quite effective as a counter while filling required troop slots. A unit of five with a meltagun and combi-melta and melta bombs on the unit leader is cheap and seems suited to do hull points on a dread. If the rhino is still there after the drop you might even be able to circle round to hit rear armour. Two melta shots and a krak grenade without even disembarking.

Or a similar unit with plasma. Plasma gun and combi plasma is good against Meq.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode