FMCs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default FMCs

I've never used these before, always been self conscious when it comes to using them as I'm used to large monsters in normal fantasy getting owned rather quickly and kind of came to uninformed conclusion it was the same in 40k.

So I was wondering whats the best way to use them, I've got a bloodthirster that I've had for a while now but never used and fancy trying it out but I don't know the best way to use them. Should I just have him jump 12" every turn or is it best to fly which I'm not familiar with either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 12:12 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Much like almost anything in the game, they are often best fielded in multiples. One FMC will get focused down and killed. Having two or more will ensure that at least one or two will survive till they get into combat.

With the changes the the FMC rules, they can no longer charge after switching movement modes, making turn 2 charges much harder. If your FMC is shooty, I'd keep them in the air. As for one that assault, I cannot say. Swooping them turn 1 will keep them safer from enemy shots, but opens them up on turn two as they have to wait till they charge.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 07:14 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

@The Sturk has it right. Imo, the only viable cc FMC is the nurgle daemon prince. with a 2+ cover save on the jump he can charge unschated in turn 2. the other FMC are now best uset for that even flyby attack and shooting / psyking.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok thanks, if I did use the bloodthirster then it's better to keep him jumping so he can charge freely right? I'll look into getting a nurgle daemon prince, how come it has 2+ cover?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 09:56 AM

yes, jumping is better altough you will be shot better
The Nurgle Daemon rule gives you shrouded. a FMC can Jink even if gliding. So if you jink to a 4+ cover, you benefit from the shrouded rule, going to 2+. Not jinking he still have a 5+ cover. But since you want him in cc, who cares about the snapshot thing.
The jink can be used even by the bloodthister, mind you. So he will not be so defenseless, just less reliable on getting in melee unschated.

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 01:09 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Note that you can't jink when you've landed. So best case scenario:

Turn 1: Swoop a long distance. Get shot by enemies with Skyfire, and rapid-firing small arms. Jink for a 4++.

Turn 2: Drop to normal mode. Get shot by all enemies freely. No Jink.

Turn 3: Move and Assault. Get shot by Overwatch. Potentially fail the charge. Probably win the combat and have enemy run away. Get shot again after consolidation.

Turn 4... You've probably won or lost the game by now. Assuming your FMC survived this long.

Personally, if you don't have a decent set of ranged weapons/psychic powers I wouldn't even use them offensively. I'd keep them on the ground, hidden, guarding a valuable unit that's taking an objective or something. Use them as a counter-charge unit and to prevent aggressive play by Wraithknights or Riptides.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 01:38 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Turn 2: Drop to normal mode. Get shot by all enemies freely. No Jink.
I'm not sure you're right on this one. As I read the rules, it simply states that a FMC has jink. It says nothing about having to be in a certain flight mode - And as such, it can be used even when on the ground.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 01:57 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
As I read the rules, it simply states that a FMC has jink.
Hilariously valid. Just remember:

Quote:
The decision (to Jink) must be made before any To Hit rolls have been made.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Note that you can't jink when you've landed
I've to call you a liar on this
FMC's have on their rules Jink. Nowhere on the book says that they have to swoop or that they are limited into their jink use. That was 6th ;)
Right now, you can jink whenever you want!

Quote:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 02:38 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

FMCs are good, but not great anymore. Smash going to one attack has made a big difference, as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode