Terminator Librarian weapon? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 10:21 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 163
Default

This is a no brainer, really.

You take the combi-weapon. Always.

If you are a Librarian, you are charging into close combat, or you are a waste of your points. So why pay for a storm bolter, if you are going to be in rapid fire range anyways?

Also, combi-weapons are not intended to be weapons that serve two functions, so stop saying "oh buy I only get one shot per game so it isn't worth the points!".

Combi-weapons are for shots of opportunity. You are paying 10 points for a shot that can potentially change the course of the whole game!

As far as the best combi-weapon goes, I would give it hands down to the combi-melta, followed by the combi-flamer, and lastly, the combi-plasma.

The melta gives you a damn good chance at pasting that Land Raider full of scary things, and then charging its contents in the same turn and MOST LIKELY wiping them out.

The flamer is great for the fact that since you only get the one shot with your gun, you KNOW it will not miss. Its a guaranteed hit. Who wouldn't pay 5 points for a guaranteed hit template weapon? Really comes in handy when theres a big scary mob of genestealers in front of you, who are ready to rend through your 2+ armor save at initiative 6.

The plasma? 2 shots? Well I guess thats cool. But they can hurt you back...
Still not as good as the others, even when double tapped.

Also, did you say something about equipping one with a plasma pistol? If i recall correctly, models in termie armour have a VERY small selection in the armoury, and I don't think any type of pistol is included amongst those.

How can some one who plays Space Marines not know that termies can charge no matter what weapons they fired?

And as far as the argument of not taking them because they distract you from what the librarian is supposed to be doing (killing multi wound, high toughness models ). NEWS FLASH, things don't always go according to plan.

And anyone who gets distracted from the librarians primary role by a single combi-weapon in-game, is probably going to lose anyways, and probably deserves to lose.

Unless you are really trying to save points, the combi-weapons shine compared to the storm bolter.
Gakmesideways is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 10:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Cato Sicarius's Avatar
Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,453
Reputation: 2
Default

Oh, right. I thought the Termie Charge thing was only with Heavy Weapons. But still he said he was going with the weapons in the Blister so that would be either a Plasma-Combi or Storm Bolter. IMO, Storm Bolter. But it's his decision really.

Last edited by Cato Sicarius; 08-21-08 at 10:25 PM.
Cato Sicarius is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-08, 10:24 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato Sicarius View Post
Oh, right. But still he said he was going with the weapons in the Blister so that would be either a Plasma-Combi or Storm Bolter.
Yes, but add a tiny bit of green stuff, and WHAMO, its whichever one you want.

But if hes doesn't want to do that, I guess still go for the combi-plasma.

Good point Cato.

One final edit, the game is a learning experience though, so test it all out for your own education dude. Its what works best for you that matters.

Last edited by Gakmesideways; 08-21-08 at 10:29 PM.
Gakmesideways is offline  
 
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Bleh
 
Marneus Calgar's Avatar
Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Posts: 3,785
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakmesideways View Post
This is a no brainer, really.

You take the combi-weapon. Always.

If you are a Librarian, you are charging into close combat, or you are a waste of your points. So why pay for a storm bolter, if you are going to be in rapid fire range anyways?

Also, combi-weapons are not intended to be weapons that serve two functions, so stop saying "oh buy I only get one shot per game so it isn't worth the points!".

Combi-weapons are for shots of opportunity. You are paying 10 points for a shot that can potentially change the course of the whole game!

As far as the best combi-weapon goes, I would give it hands down to the combi-melta, followed by the combi-flamer, and lastly, the combi-plasma.

The melta gives you a damn good chance at pasting that Land Raider full of scary things, and then charging its contents in the same turn and MOST LIKELY wiping them out.

The flamer is great for the fact that since you only get the one shot with your gun, you KNOW it will not miss. Its a guaranteed hit. Who wouldn't pay 5 points for a guaranteed hit template weapon? Really comes in handy when theres a big scary mob of genestealers in front of you, who are ready to rend through your 2+ armor save at initiative 6.

The plasma? 2 shots? Well I guess thats cool. But they can hurt you back...
Still not as good as the others, even when double tapped.

Also, did you say something about equipping one with a plasma pistol? If i recall correctly, models in termie armour have a VERY small selection in the armoury, and I don't think any type of pistol is included amongst those.

How can some one who plays Space Marines not know that termies can charge no matter what weapons they fired?

And as far as the argument of not taking them because they distract you from what the librarian is supposed to be doing (killing multi wound, high toughness models ). NEWS FLASH, things don't always go according to plan.

And anyone who gets distracted from the librarians primary role by a single combi-weapon in-game, is probably going to lose anyways, and probably deserves to lose.

Unless you are really trying to save points, the combi-weapons shine compared to the storm bolter.
I might do this to be honest, cause i have a librarian with storm bolter, better to have a change... Plus it'll have psychic powers to use instead, so, I think this might be a good option. And im going to be giving a librarian in power amour a plasma pistol... Also its a 2/3 chance hit, so, i might as well give the plasma a go...
Marneus Calgar is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Wilder's Avatar
Wilder's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 60
Reputation: 1
Default

Standard Bolter. More bang for your buck.
Wilder is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 09:54 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Standard Bolter. More bang for your buck.
Man, you had me going there for a moment.

But heres the problem.

A librarian should NEVER take a bolter, and probably won't be able to.

Why?

He SHOULDN'T take it, because he will be unable to assault afterwards.

He WON'T BE ABLE to take it, because it is not an option if hes in terminator armour.

"BOLT PISTOLZ" you say!

Dude, its his HQ, hes allowed to splurge.

Get the combi-weapon, and anyone who tells you otherwise is clearly on crack.
Gakmesideways is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-08, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Cato Sicarius's Avatar
Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,453
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakmesideways View Post
Get the combi-weapon, and anyone who tells you otherwise is clearly on crack.
Too true...

:slightly ironical cat:
Cato Sicarius is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:44 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato Sicarius View Post
Too true...

:slightly ironical cat:
Share? 0.o
Gakmesideways is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Cato Sicarius's Avatar
Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,453
Reputation: 2
Default

I told him otherwise...
Cato Sicarius is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome