Defiler: Salvagable or waste of points? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Defiler: Salvagable or waste of points?

Normally I'm not keen on getting rid of things unless I can find a way of selling them. I have a Defiler, I like mechs and walkers, I like the way it looks, and I want to get to assembling it sometime.

Problem is it's point ineffective and for the cost I can put the points into a Helbrute formation, Laspreds, or Obliterators.

So, what setup makes the Defiler more bearable, and what can its armament compliment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 07:04 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

As far as rules go, the Defiler is pretty awful. If you fire the battle cannon, you cannot fire the heavy flamer/havoc launcher... and the only other weapon choice for that arm is the 25 point not-as-good-as-a-DCC power scourge. Never mind that the other limb, if it is a shooty weapon, can only snap fire if you shoot the cannon. And the whole "AV 12" thing.

The set-up I used for both of my Defilers after the new codex came out was the "tear off their torso and replace it with a big beastie torso and *poof* I have an AV 13, lower-points-cost Soul Grinder to ally in" method. (I also may have torn off a pair of limbs from each and as many armor plates and spikes as possible)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-23-14 at 07:08 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

That seemed to be the consensus from the B&C.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 07:34 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

The Defile is better than it used to be, save for one thing: You can't load it up with 4 DCCW anymore and go tearing your way across the battlefield.

It got a lot of buffs but it has a serious personality disorder going on with wanting to be a combat walker and a ranged walker and wanting to be durable but then having poor side/back armor for the job....

It's a nice model but it's got issues.

Also anyone else think that Daemonengines should have you pick out what kind of Daemon is bound into the hull in a kind of mark system? Heck, just giving them the "Daemon of _______" rules from the Daemon Prince would nail it pretty nicely I think.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 08:34 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
Also anyone else think that Daemonengines should have you pick out what kind of Daemon is bound into the hull in a kind of mark system? Heck, just giving them the "Daemon of _______" rules from the Daemon Prince would nail it pretty nicely I think.
I suspect we might run into that sort of thing next edition of CSM codex. Well, suspect/hope. Meanwhile, though, I just want Maulerfiends to be shunted sideways into Fast Attack... (3 maulerfiends, 3 helbrutes, 3 forgefiends? Why not!... though honestly, the Helbrute formations make such an AV 12 walker list that much easier...)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 08:40 PM
Rattlehead

It's pretty fucking awful. If you fire your Battle Cannon, you can't shoot or charge, so you pretty much have to shoot when you see something that's been left in the open and bunched up or Run every turn to try and throw yourself at a unit of basic infantry or a tank or something similar. If you need to run it, run it with the Power Scourge and DCCW so you can pretend to be scary in melee.

Those Soul Grinder conversions look amazing, so I'd advise you to follow Mossy's lead and Daemon it up as an Ally choice.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 09:04 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

If it could just trade that Battlecannon for something (like the Forgefiend's Autocannon) it'd be a lot nicer and less schitzophrenic.

Now I kind of want to model that, with that gatling barrel mounted in its chest.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-14, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Honestly I'd take the demon soul idea, or even a second Reaper Auto-cannon, remove the snap-shot, and take an AA profile.

Or even better, make the damn thing cheaper with more options. Why not all of the above?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-14, 03:08 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

No its not worth it when you get to the brass tax of things. Want a large blast weapon, then take the dirt cheap vindicator, sure its shorter range, buts it hits a hell lot hard and can easily take out clumped together vehicles. Want a CC walker then take a mauler fiend as it is a hell lot scarier with its fast movement and reducing enemy attacks.

Sadly the defiler doesn't really have a practical role in the army anymore as we have three other vehicles that offer specialized cheaper versions of any of its functions. Personally I think it really needed something to make it stand out like being able to fire all its weapons even when firing ordnance.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-14, 03:52 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

All we need is a quick FAQ to say it can fire the cannon and move and its all good. I am currently torn. I own a model, and I have been planning to convert it into a Soul Grinder, and battle cannon emplacement for my renagade imperial guard list (was going to use the Seige of Varkas list) I had the conversions started...

But Iam thinking of changing my mind and building it as a Defiler, yes its useless now but its only one rule that needs to change and it will be scary again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode