Tactics against grav guns on white scar bikes or just in general. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 10:22 AM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
Bring some blobs of cultists...

Grav guns useless against 6+ armour...Blobs can tarpit bikes. And massed small arms fire negates the jink saves (or anything in the game really, except armour).
A. Bikes will beat down Cultists in melee as Str5 HoW + 2 str4 attacks each vs WS3 6+ save T3 dudes who wound back on 6s.
B. You can't tarpit White Scars as the have army-wide Hit and Run at I4.
C. Those small arms are wounding bikes on 6s. You statistically need 36 Autogun shots to kill one Biker.
D. Cultists aren't native Fearless, so they make terrible tarpits unless you bring a bunch of Lords or Dark Apostles.

I'd recommend Huron to Infiltrate a long line of Cultists as Scout Defence. Outside of that, all the things CSM are good at are especially good against Bikers, so keep on bringing Noise Marines and Heldrakes and you'll be fine. Infiltrating the Cultist wall really lets Chaos' superb anti-heavy infantry firepower come into play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 10:52 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

He's already said his list is set - he can't change units.

@Jonny B - could you post your full list so people can have a more accurate idea of what you have to work with?

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 03:48 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Problem with Huron is servo skulls...apparently everyone takes them now (I wouldnt know though) to prevent infiltrate. I thought flamers on cultists might work but clearly not...

Just spam Noise Marines and Heldrakes, ignore those jink saves...

Or if your list is set...see above

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 04:16 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Problem with Huron is servo skulls...apparently everyone takes them now (I wouldnt know though) to prevent infiltrate. I thought flamers on cultists might work but clearly not...
That's a fair point; if the White Scars player is bringing an Inquisitor with Skulls, then infiltrating ain't gonna work. However, the Scars player might not be bringing Skulls - Bike armies have no units that really benefit from a foot-slogging Divination caster, and bring no blasts or deep striking to speak of. Tome of Vethric is pretty situational and rarely useful for them, and the Liber Heresius' main bonus is a White Scar core rule anyway. Flamers in singles aren't scary to anyone, really, and Bikes essentially laugh them off. They're better than Autoguns, but not worth paying points for.

Quote:
Just spam Noise Marines and Heldrakes, ignore those jink saves...
Essentially yeah. Chaos are really good at killing expensive 3+ dudes, and Bike armies really suffer against the Heldrake and Blastmasters. Same reason why GK were removed as a competitive army.

Having your list set is a bit of a bummer. I'd add a vote asking to see your list, and we'll work from there.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 05:16 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

*Sigh* Yep. It's a sad truth that Guard infantry blobs are infinitely better than cultists at everything...Allying in a guard platoon always makes much more sense.

The ability to take a heavy weapon and a special weapon every 10 men, plus orders, plus a better save, plus only 35pts for a commissar to prevent them running away. All for only +1pt per model...Autocannons/GL combo for those T5 bikes would be my choice...But yeah, the list is set so guess it's pointless discussing this...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 06:03 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
The ability to take a heavy weapon and a special weapon every 10 men, plus orders, plus a better save, plus only 35pts for a commissar to prevent them running away. All for only +1pt per model...Autocannons/GL combo for those T5 bikes would be my choice...But yeah, the list is set so guess it's pointless discussing this...
35pt Commissars? What are you playing, pre-Inquisition 40k?

But yeah, Cultists > Guard Blobs > Ork Boyz (yeah, Orks as a whole aren't competitive anymore, but Orks are probably the most efficient Troops unit in the entire goddamn game. It's the rest of the Codex that is... imperfect).
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 06:48 PM
Shaun's Flag is: New Zealand

All the white scars bikes have hit and run tarpitting is not a valid tactic agaisnt them
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-14, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the comments again. May I ask what tarpitting is please?

My list consists off:
Abaddon and 5 terminators with power axes and combi meltas.
10 marines with 2 plasmas
15 marines with 2 plasmas
5 Chosen in a rhino with flamers
1 lord on a steed with murder sword and sigil, he outflanks with 5 Chosen with plasmas
2 vindicators
1 heldrake
5 havocs with 4 autocannons

Played some white scars last night but with mostly meltas and some flamers. 3 flyers and vindi and pred. He ripped me apart but I was poor tactically and reserve rolling plus he stole the initiative!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-14, 02:09 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny B View Post
Cheers for the comments again. May I ask what tarpitting is please?
Using a large or tough unit of cheap models to keep a scary enemy CC unit locked in combat, hopefully stopping or slowing them from reaching your important units.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode