Who Can Kill the Nightbringer? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-19-08, 09:45 AM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

chaos do have force weapons but i think abbadon is a save bet, he goes first with the potential of 12 attacks! 3's to hit then 4's to wound with the ability to re-reroll.

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-19-08, 12:39 PM
Banned

a chaos terminator lord with daemon weapon of khorne will get you your attacks against him abaddon would do the job with some lascannon support or go for 2/3 cheap sorcerers
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-19-08, 04:23 PM

tyco's Flag is: United Kingdom

ok, cue a necron player who uses the nightbringer occasionally. Abbaddon is an idea I don't agree with. Sure Abaddon is immune to snstant death, but do u really wanna go toe to toe with an oppenenty who has 5 attacks, ignores saves of any kind (yes, that includes invulnerable ones) and is S10?

gift of chaos also worrying idea. for chaos, as many lascannons and missile launchers as you can fit (melta and plasma guns are good too), maybe autocannons too, and powerfists on those champions. oh, and drop the termies, the c'tan will go through them like a hot knife through butter. vehicles might be ok.....but be careful, the last time i used the guy, he killed over 1000 pts of stuff including a baneblade.....

one other thing......force weapons are a bad idea for several reasons:
1) with t8, u need s5 to wound him on a 6......you cannot get s 5 on a sorceror, so he won't even scratch the c'tan
2) even if he could, no warp time, as you need the psychic test for the force weapon
3) you are t4 with a 3+ save and 5+invul save, you are also an inde[endent character, so can be picked out in hth, the nightbringer has 5 attacks at a higher ws, s10, and ignores both normal and invulnerable saves as i already said......instant death anyone?

Last edited by tyco; 07-19-08 at 04:32 PM.

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 02:34 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

I don't know the rules for nightbringer, but I might suggest that if its kill team, why not have 3 aspiring sorcerers (from thousand sons entry) all with gift of chaos. All you have to do is survive one turn in cc, and you'll get 6 casts of GoC, and any roll of 6 on them will spawn him. so, 3 Asp Sorcs, 270, then 90 points of other troops (demons or basic troopers) to take damage! I'd give you a better than 50-50 shot of winning with that setup.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 07-20-08 at 02:38 AM.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 08:54 AM

because the guy has a 24" assualt 1 lascannon at bs4. if you can get close enough to him, them i agree that you can spawnify him, and this would be good, but in doing this you are giving the c'tan the oppertunity to just sit where he is popping marines........... it could work, but i dunno..........i would still go with lots of heavy weapons and make him walk to you........
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 09:38 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

I dont see how the force weapon will kill the nightbringer, its a monstrous creature and therefore immune to instant death, if i remember rightly.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 09:58 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Being a monstrous creature doesn't make you immune to instant death, although most of them are either by virtue of special rule or high toughness. In the case of C'tan, it's the former. In cases of the latter, you can force weapon 'em, if you can manage to wound them.

The catch-all solution for the Nightbringer is to chew on the tiny number of Necrons on the table. If someone is dumb enough to bring both the Nightbringer AND a monolith, then they're going to have like twenty-five Necrons, tops. Ignore the big stuff, and phase 'em out.

Barring that, power fists work wonders.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 10:04 AM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

ah ritey. I beleive it is just the nightbringer vs a force of equal points, not a legal game or anything. Powerfists, and lots of them, paired with large guns, aka lascannons/missile launchers should do nicely. Have done so in my opinion.
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 10:37 AM

cooldudeskillz's Flag is: United Kingdom

5 obliterators will do it, thats 5 lascannons shots a turn

Daemons
W:9 D:0 L:0

Chaos Marines
W:21 D:2 L:3

If you want peace.....prepare for war!
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-20-08, 01:18 PM

that could work....although as i said before, beware the shooting attack of the c'tan...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode