Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Serpent Shield

6K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  iamtheeviltwin 
#1 ·
hello folks

regarding the Serpent Shield , the round it fires it is treated as a weapon, can it then be destroyed with a weapon destroyed result in the phase it fires!

#38 ·
10 wraithguard will kill Mephiston - if they get chance to shoot. I've done it before. 10 x St10 + Ap2 + instant death on a 6 will take him down.

However, if the Wraithguard catch him, the BA player is doing it wrong. More than likely, you'll get to snapfire against him as he charges with his magic jumppack and hope for 6's. If you fail he kills your squad.

Whats even funnier is Mephiston against a wraithknight - it takes 1 punch most of the time for him to kill it.

#40 ·
It's me on the recieving end of him normally :laugh:

I once lost a 2k game with my chaos to him - I was running melee Khorn. He just stood in the middle of my army making ninja noises while I threw the kitchen sink at him. When the sink didn't work, I started taking Abaddon.

So by that rationale - Abaddon>Kitchen Sink :laugh:
And the moral is no-one should ever underestimate Mephiston. He might not have an invulnerable, but he's easy to hide, fast and lethal against the right targets.

I once witnessed him clear every single piece of heavy support from our opponants army in a 4k game. He took 1 wound doing it.

Red for the Red god!

#41 ·
you know what, im not going to post my list for you fools to nit pick it to death. tbh mephiston is powerful but he can be killed and all it takes is some careful maneuvering on the part of the other player. if ur 250 point character wants to hide so be it ill just keep my distance and the moment he decides to take on sompin ill have another unit in position to take him down. it wasnt my intention to get into debate about what can take out serpents or wraithguard or watever. i merely stated that wave serpents as they are now are incredibly powerful for their points cost and can dish out a ton of shooting while maintaining speed and durability. i say that and u guys start saying shit about how mephiston can wreck waveserpent spam when its simply not true. im not going to debate the matter anymore i will simply agree to disagree and leave it at that, if you guys want to continue by all means but it will prove nothing except that ur egos are as big as this post is becoming. good day gentlemen "lights a pipe and walks away"

#47 ·
So your army is good and Mephiston is bad because any good player can beat Mephiston?

Well your Serpent Spam is shit and you should feel terrible because it only wins when it faces shit players. And you can say it's really powerful but that's simply not true, although I'm not going to explain why. Mephiston is incredibly powerful for his points cost and dishes out tonnes of board control and melee presence.

#42 ·
Whilst you've finished discussing the pros and cons of the Wave Serpent, could you answer me this please.
How many Wave Serpents do you have in your collection?

For your information, I own three ready to play, although I have never used more than two in a Standard Game but I have used three in Apocalypse.
I also have an unmade one, still in its box, that I got a couple of years ago in one of the Heresy Online Model Swap/Secret Santa's.

#43 ·
I have 4 wave serpents.

I've used all 4 in 3k plus, but in a normal game I'll take a couple. If there was a way to survive podding flamers without them, I probably wouldn't take any.I don't own a single guardian, so I can't really bubble wrap. I would much prefer taking more aspect warriors.
Hopefully, a biel-tan supplement will come along at some point...

#44 ·
Pretty similar to me then, Gret79.

To be honest though, my question was more for Dildozer.

It's all well and good him shouting the odds about how he's got this list and that list, but it's another thing to be able to back it up and put the models on the table and play them.

I for one don't believe he's got the amount of Wave Serpents he was throwing around and his lack of an answer I'll take as proof that he hasn't.
Anyone can sit at home writing lists all day long.

#50 ·
I think you mean pens into glances. And you're assuming a system that doesn't get behind your Wave Serpents. Like, oh, Deep striking or a drop pod. Wave Serpents are VERY good. They're not unstoppable, but they're Very Good. Can they be stopped? I'm pretty sure they can. Is it something you have to think about and plan? Yes. Is it best to be in HTH combat with one? Again, yes.

#54 ·
I've never played on a board where you can get "impossible to see" LOS between a Wave Serpent and it's rear arc. My gaming area doesn't play with thick ruins or intact buildings much and that's in general the only thing that I would imagine blocking los totally. I don't see them as a liability or a game winner. They are a very strong unit in a codex of very strong units. They are very flexible, which is what I like about them.

#56 ·
That's what the table edge is for. Park your Serpent's ass roughly 3" from the edge and it's impossibly to DS behind. Also, a lack of complete LoS blocking terrain is a HUGE issue that your gaming area could do with addressing, because it massively benefits shooting armies, and they're already more than strong enough as it is, they don't need any further help. Trust me, you will notice the difference if you add two to three large pieces of solid cover to your tabletops.

Stealth and Shrouding isn't enough to survive those hits? Really? A 2+ cover save will lose very few models on a volley like that, and if you are using Guardians or Avengers to achieve those numbers they will probably fall to whats left of the squad if you can't handle it. (assuming 10 DA's you will wound them 10 times on average and they will lose 2 models)
Firstly, if they just assaulted you, exactly what cover are they using? Secondly, that's only DE harlies (if they haven't been FAQ'd yet). Current gen Eldar Harlies roll to see using 2D6x2, which you can safely ignore with Catapults, resulting in 10 wounds or 6.6 casualties. Guardians and Avengers are identical offensively apart from a 6" range gap, and the FC initiative change means you're striking simultaneously in combat, so even 5 Avengers will get 10 more attacks against the Harlies, dropping 2 more and a chance for Overwatch to drop yet another. And that's even if they caught you (how?).

You can spend those points on whatever you like, am I telling you to not take serpents? No, I am saying don't spam them and rely on that save to make you lazy on positioning.
No, you're saying in your previous posts that they are "a liability and will lose you the game" against armies that ignore cover or have fast assault elements. Word for word. That pretty much translates into "don't take them" in my view. If you meant to say "write balanced lists" or "play well" then I would have 100% agreed with you from the start, but that's not what you said.

#57 ·
Firstly, if they just assaulted you, exactly what cover are they using? Secondly, that's only DE harlies (if they haven't been FAQ'd yet). Current gen Eldar Harlies roll to see using 2D6x2, which you can safely ignore with Catapults, resulting in 10 wounds or 6.6 casualties. Guardians and Avengers are identical offensively apart from a 6" range gap, and the FC initiative change means you're striking simultaneously in combat, so even 5 Avengers will get 10 more attacks against the Harlies, dropping 2 more and a chance for Overwatch to drop yet another. And that's even if they caught you (how?).
Haha, I've tried to block the CE Harlies from my mind, its so bad now. Yea I would recommend allying in some Harlies in that case, the DE one's are clearly superior.

No, you're saying in your previous posts that they are "a liability and will lose you the game" against armies that ignore cover or have fast assault elements. Word for word. That pretty much translates into "don't take them" in my view. If you meant to say "write balanced lists" or "play well" then I would have 100% agreed with you from the start, but that's not what you said.
They will, that's a fact. Against certain armies only of course, a balanced list would not fall against such a army but if you are taking like 6 Tanks, you will lose in that case. In other words don't spam them.

#58 ·
Haha, I've tried to block the CE Harlies from my mind, its so bad now. Yea I would recommend allying in some Harlies in that case, the DE one's are clearly superior.
Taking a Raider is fum! It actually works with Eldar, since you have a bunch of very tough hulls to hide it behind rather than more paper planes. Assaulting out of transports is one thing Dark Eldar can still do, even if it's a tiny countermeasure for the massive pile of fail that is the rest of the army.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.