Serpent Shield - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 07:09 AM
Dildozer's Flag is: USA

you know what, im not going to post my list for you fools to nit pick it to death. tbh mephiston is powerful but he can be killed and all it takes is some careful maneuvering on the part of the other player. if ur 250 point character wants to hide so be it ill just keep my distance and the moment he decides to take on sompin ill have another unit in position to take him down. it wasnt my intention to get into debate about what can take out serpents or wraithguard or watever. i merely stated that wave serpents as they are now are incredibly powerful for their points cost and can dish out a ton of shooting while maintaining speed and durability. i say that and u guys start saying shit about how mephiston can wreck waveserpent spam when its simply not true. im not going to debate the matter anymore i will simply agree to disagree and leave it at that, if you guys want to continue by all means but it will prove nothing except that ur egos are as big as this post is becoming. good day gentlemen "lights a pipe and walks away"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-25-14, 08:13 AM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

Whilst you've finished discussing the pros and cons of the Wave Serpent, could you answer me this please.
How many Wave Serpents do you have in your collection?

For your information, I own three ready to play, although I have never used more than two in a Standard Game but I have used three in Apocalypse.
I also have an unmade one, still in its box, that I got a couple of years ago in one of the Heresy Online Model Swap/Secret Santa's.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 02:56 PM

I have 4 wave serpents.

I've used all 4 in 3k plus, but in a normal game I'll take a couple. If there was a way to survive podding flamers without them, I probably wouldn't take any.I don't own a single guardian, so I can't really bubble wrap. I would much prefer taking more aspect warriors.
Hopefully, a biel-tan supplement will come along at some point...

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 04:28 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

Pretty similar to me then, Gret79.

To be honest though, my question was more for Dildozer.

It's all well and good him shouting the odds about how he's got this list and that list, but it's another thing to be able to back it up and put the models on the table and play them.

I for one don't believe he's got the amount of Wave Serpents he was throwing around and his lack of an answer I'll take as proof that he hasn't.
Anyone can sit at home writing lists all day long.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 04:32 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I possess four ready to play, an additional one painted but damaged, needs TLC to be playable. I possess three others in boxes, unbuilt.
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 05:00 PM

Mephiston rocks
I own 3 proper serpants and a load more either bad condition or falcon with converted guns and the fin parts.
Although I only played them once and that was really a jesters list to test it out.
Now returning I've got into ghost warriors.
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-28-14, 08:06 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dildozer View Post
you know what, im not going to post my list for you fools to nit pick it to death. tbh mephiston is powerful but he can be killed and all it takes is some careful maneuvering on the part of the other player. if ur 250 point character wants to hide so be it ill just keep my distance and the moment he decides to take on sompin ill have another unit in position to take him down. it wasnt my intention to get into debate about what can take out serpents or wraithguard or watever. i merely stated that wave serpents as they are now are incredibly powerful for their points cost and can dish out a ton of shooting while maintaining speed and durability. i say that and u guys start saying shit about how mephiston can wreck waveserpent spam when its simply not true. im not going to debate the matter anymore i will simply agree to disagree and leave it at that, if you guys want to continue by all means but it will prove nothing except that ur egos are as big as this post is becoming. good day gentlemen "lights a pipe and walks away"
So your army is good and Mephiston is bad because any good player can beat Mephiston?

Well your Serpent Spam is shit and you should feel terrible because it only wins when it faces shit players. And you can say it's really powerful but that's simply not true, although I'm not going to explain why. Mephiston is incredibly powerful for his points cost and dishes out tonnes of board control and melee presence.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:34 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
So your army is good and Mephiston is bad because any good player can beat Mephiston?

Well your Serpent Spam is shit and you should feel terrible because it only wins when it faces shit players. And you can say it's really powerful but that's simply not true, although I'm not going to explain why. Mephiston is incredibly powerful for his points cost and dishes out tonnes of board control and melee presence.
Against anyone who ignores cover, or moves fast into CC, Serpents wont do much except lose you the game. The critical point is losing 2-3 serpents a turn, once you start sustaining those types of losses its over if you heavily invested in the Eldar's skimmer tanks.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Last edited by Ragewind; 01-29-14 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 02:50 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
Against anyone who ignores cover, or moves fast into CC, Serpents wont do much except lose you the game.
I'd strongly disagree. Tau ignore cover left right and center, and still lose regularly to Eldar. Likewise Daemons.

At the end of the day you're turning Pens into Glances on a 2+ which means that something like a Multimelta takes three damaging shots to kill you with almost NO chance for a single shot to take you out. That makes you about twice as survivable than a Land Raider (which is slightly harder to penetrate, but doesn't have Fields).

Armies that move fast into CC are either light infantry hordes (which Serpents eat all day long) or deathstar jetbikes, in which case they can only kill 1 serpent per turn, and then spend the next turn killing the unit inside. Taking account getting into position, a Jetseer council (for example) will only drop two Serpents in a game, which hurts, but it's ~400pts of the enemy army doing nothing else, which is acceptable.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Last edited by Sethis; 01-29-14 at 06:05 PM.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-29-14, 03:00 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I think you mean pens into glances. And you're assuming a system that doesn't get behind your Wave Serpents. Like, oh, Deep striking or a drop pod. Wave Serpents are VERY good. They're not unstoppable, but they're Very Good. Can they be stopped? I'm pretty sure they can. Is it something you have to think about and plan? Yes. Is it best to be in HTH combat with one? Again, yes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode