Imperial Guard vs Dark Eldar Round 4: Suggestions? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-13, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Default Imperial Guard vs Dark Eldar Round 4: Suggestions?

So inspired by recent threads, and in light of a challenge I cannot loose, I have been suckered into fighting my friend Tom once again with the 331st "Warriors of Hades" Imperial Guard vs his own "Black Blood" Kabal of Dark Eldar(2,000pt game). As some of you may remember I had posted the Battle Report from one of these matches, and have an on-going feud with the OP DE rules that make them a serious threat in the Table Top Game.

To that end I am here to ask for advice from more experienced Veterans on how to build a sound Strategy to counter what will be a very strong DE Army. Thus below I will outlay my current idea's, and I welcome you to critique them into a fighting plan.

My initial tactics will be to use Terrain and Cover for my Leman Russ while attempting to shoot down or disable his Raider's and Talons. Past experience has shown me that the Lances on these vehicles will eat most of my heavy firepower quickly if I do not eliminate them quickly. Additionally I plan to deploy more heavy weapons Squads instead of Artillery due to the sole fact it gets snipped within the first 3 turns.

Following this I will use a combination of Normal Guard and Valkyrie/Deep Strike troops to lay down fire lanes with which to inflict maxamine damage upon his Warriors before they close the range. Then hopefully my Veterans and Ogryns (if I can afford them) will keep their extremely strong melee infantry/Elites at bay while Range firepower whittles them down. If need be I will use my line of Heavies as a last ditch fall back point with which to deny him CQB.

This is all based on three main principles being consistent during the fight. 1: That he brings his Tropps forward in a rush while sniping with Lances from behind (as he typically has done), @: That his DE use their "DRug" ability to keep themselves going and power on in their fight, and 3:That he keeps his Archon in the back until the end of the fight. The first two I can count on happening 100%, the last one is hit-or-miss.

Thought and comments are welcomed; I'd love to refine and win this Round for the reputation of all IG players. Also I will prepare a Army List after work this morning and post it in this window later on today.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Putting up that list would likely help a lot, so unless you've already gone through the motions of that latest game now might be a good time to post it.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

The Battle already occured last Tuesday during game night at the "Game Castle" where I often play. I did neglect to put up the list that I played with, though I did a few modifications. I still ended up loosing by a bare margin; most because I was stupid and charged the archon in a vain attempt to put "Leadership" roles on him. Suffice to say I need to rethink my strategy....again.

I'm at work in boston right now, and I do not get off until 7am tommorow morning Darkreever. When I get home I will pull the Army list out of my folder and post it; I apologize for the tardiness on the matter. If you have any advice on fighting Dark Eldar (or Tau for that matter) I would welcome it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 12:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Swing and a miss I suppose.

As for some generic advice on dealing with Dark Eldar, do not let them get into close combat with anything resembling significant numbers. At times, flamers on infantry squads aren't half bad choices, especially if that particular squad is going to get charged and you can overwatch.

Close combat upgrades on your officers is also a bit of a waste of points. Dark Eldar units want to be in combat with you, where their higher weapon skill and initiative give them a distinct advantage.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

I know, Three Strikes I'm out man; work and the girlfriend have murdered me ahahah. . I will endevour to upgrade it with some of your advice; however my only question is whether or not Close Combat wouldn't work. you make a good point, their WS is just to damn high for me. However if I do not have Veterans to count them will they not just simply move in and deny me field of fire? I believe they can use "Fleet of Foot" rule right?

Anyway here is the latest list; I will amend it when I have a chance.

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x Power Fists

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x Plasma guns

Troops

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x Flamers

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x Meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x Meltaguns

Veterans w/ Chimera - 3 x Plasma guns

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Hellhound

Leman Russ

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Hydra

Overall Total Pts: 1,980

Like the Milk commercial says; "Got 20 points left?"

Supplemental 0044: I managed to also pull Tim's Dark El;dar list out of my phone and post it here; i did not think I had gotten it from him. Idk if this helps but maybe you will spot somethng I did not. Cheers!

Archon Multhirl Silvana (a.k.a Duke Sliscus) - 150 Points

Elite:

8x Kabalite Trueborn (Joined to Duke Sliscus) - 136 Points
W/ 8 Shardcarbines
Raider: Dark Lance - 70 Points

12x Hekatrix Bloodbrides - 164 Points
w/ Haywire Grenades

Troops:

8x Wych Cult + 1x Hekatrix W/ Agoniser - 138 Points
W/ Haywire Grenades
Raider: Dark Lance, Flickerfield - 70 Points

8x Wych Cult + 1x Hekatrix W/ Agoniser - 138 Points
W/ Haywire Grenades
Raider: Dark Lance, Flickerfield - 70 Points

10x Kabalite Warriors W/ Splinter Rifles and Blaster - 105 points
Raider: Dark Lance, Flickerfield, - 70 Points

10x Kabalite Warriors W/ Splinter Rifles and Blaster - 105 points
Raider: Dark Lance, Flickerfield, - 70 Points

Fast:

6x Reavers W/ 2 blasters - 162 Points

Heavy:

Ravager W/ 3 Dark Lances, Flickerfields - 115 Points

Ravager W/ 3 Dark Lances, Flickerfields - 115 Points

Razorwing Jetfighter

Total Points 1999

Last edited by emporershand89; 12-31-13 at 04:55 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 06:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Company Command Squad w/ Chimera - 4 x Power Fists
This unit is illegal, only the company commander is given the option to take a powerfist.

Quote:

Beyond the fact that veterans can take three special weapons, theres very little reason to take three flamers since your just wasting their good BS.

An infantry platoon to add some heavy weapons would likely be a good change-up for you. Give some scoring bodies that aren't trying to move forward.

Quote:
Leman Russ

Leman Russ Battle Tank

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Are these all in a single squadron? Do they have any upgrades or are they all standard battle cannon and hull heavy bolter?

Quote:
Hydra
Good anti air, work better as a pair.

Quote:
12x Hekatrix Bloodbrides - 164 Points
w/ Haywire Grenades
This unit is illegal in two ways: first the unit can only be ten strong, second a twelve strong unit of bloodbrides with haywire grenades would cost 180 points. When equipping the grenades the entire unit must be equipped, he cannot choose to only do it for a few of them.

Quote:
Razorwing Jetfighter
Be thankful your friend clearly does not like the voidraven as much as I do. That thing comes with void lances, essentially lascannons with the lance rule.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode