How do you beat a Daemon Prince? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Stormxlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 443
Reputation: 7
Default How do you beat a Daemon Prince?

So I am having problem beating my friends CSM Daemon Prince I am playing a Dark Angels army. Before he got the DP I used to win every game unless I played something ridiculous. He just swoops in and starts to maul everything with that mace that exploads on kill. One of the effective way I found so far is to DW Assault with Belial and 10 DW knights manage to get charge, so 11 HoW attacks, and pray that I manage to wound him enough. Once he got lucky on a daemon weapon roll and had 12 attacks and just wiped out my whole squad on his initiative step that's like 500 points gone on turn 2. What is the most effective way of dealing with a Daemon Prince?
Stormxlr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
lokyar's Avatar
lokyar's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 113
Reputation: 1
Default

depends on what you have in your list and what point cost your playing at. I would say shoot it with lots of shit. Also isnt the explody mace ap4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnoftheclown View Post
"Can has gun with boom boom?"
"No mongo, your intellect is too...err...specialised for that, here take the heavy flamer"
lokyar is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

The mace becomes AP2 since the prince is a monstrous creature
The prince fears: St10 hits, force weapons, due to Instant death rule. If he flies, you should quadgun it down the sky, make it groundcrash and then shoot with bolters. When i'm confronted by a zooming DP I go with twinlinked plasmaguns or autocannons, then he crushes and it's finished by bolter fire...4 wounds and T5 are not so hard to kill...unless you go hand to hand...

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Fallen's Avatar
Fallen's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,689
Reputation: 19
Default

isn't your army supposed to be good with plasma weapons?

just use those...

Also Neferhet is spot on, if it is flying shoot it out of the sky with a quad gun or something and then just dakka it to death with bolters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
Fallen is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 02:08 PM
Herald of The Warp
 
Nordicus's Avatar
Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Odense, Denmark
Posts: 2,752
Reputation: 143
Default

As others have mentioned, you simply need to avoid getting in CC with it. Blast it away with a hail of bullets and it will go down. If you get in CC with it, you will most likely loose unless you have a squad with enough STR10 weapons to last through it's charge and then instant death it.
Nordicus is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Stormxlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 443
Reputation: 7
Default

@Fallen they are in fluff but sadly GW dint bother enough to show it in the rules or wargear in anyway. so they are the same as vanilla marines with plasma.

@neferhet so aegis line with quad gun is a must this days huh... Also don't you guys think bolters are a bit underpowered? If they were assault 2 it would be perfect but only 5 shots at. 24 inches for 70 points seems to expansive and underpowered? Then again they got grenade, 3+ save, and 4.
The thing is let's say he swoops in 24 then I shoot him down and he fails inv save, he gets one wound lucky 2 or 3 if I managed to hit him. But on his next turn he just swoops again and charges into CC wipes some squad gets a boon and simply goes from CC to CC so I can't shoot him!!
@Nordicus Ye that's what those Deathwing knights are for just drop in with Belial pop smite mode on my initiative step and its hammer time if I'm lucky and out of 9 knights no one died then he will get 18 str 10 ap 1 melee concussive attacks :3 the thing is he might be able to wipe Belial with knights before I can hit him coz he has the item that makes all area within 12 " difficult terrain or dangerous for deep striking.

Last edited by Stormxlr; 11-16-13 at 03:14 PM.
Stormxlr is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
@neferhet so aegis line with quad gun is a must this days huh... Also don't you guys think bolters are a bit underpowered? If they were assault 2 it would be perfect but only 5 shots at. 24 inches for 70 points seems to expansive and underpowered? Then again they got grenade, 3+ save, and 4.
The thing is let's say he swoops in 24 then I shoot him down and he fails inv save, he gets one wound lucky 2 or 3 if I managed to hit him. But on his next turn he just swoops again and charges into CC wipes some squad gets a boon and simply goes from CC to CC so I can't shoot him!!
If you face flyers, yes its a must have. Consider it a "tax on fun"...
Then, if you shoot it, you are not shooting it just to crush it and deal 1 wound. You shoot it until it is dead. I can't believe you just have 10 bolter shots to spare on him. A quadgnu, a devastator squad with missile launchers, a tactical squad in 12" range: he is dead.
Remember the teaching of the Tactica Imperialis: "Identify your target. Concentrate your fire on it to the exclusion of all else. When it is destroyed choose another target. That is the way to secure victory!"
When you kill hiss 200+ points monster you can be assured that victory is near. Also, never underestimate the psychoilogical backlash on your foe. When he sees his DP killed by an overwhelming and accurate response he will act stupid. Trust me ;)

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 04:46 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
they are in fluff but sadly GW dint bother enough to show it in the rules or wargear in anyway. so they are the same as vanilla marines with plasma.
Except the Land Speeder Vengeance, Plasma Talons, Deathwing Plasma Cannons, Lion's Wrath and Divination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
so aegis line with quad gun is a must this days huh... Also don't you guys think bolters are a bit underpowered? If they were assault 2 it would be perfect but only 5 shots at. 24 inches for 70 points seems to expansive and underpowered? Then again they got grenade, 3+ save, and 4.
The thing is let's say he swoops in 24 then I shoot him down and he fails inv save, he gets one wound lucky 2 or 3 if I managed to hit him. But on his next turn he just swoops again and charges into CC wipes some squad gets a boon and simply goes from CC to CC so I can't shoot him!!
Bolters are fine - they do pretty brutal things to Guardsmen and Tyranids in the open, as they're supposed to, and tend to bounce off armoured infantry, as they're supposed to. He cannot Swoop and charge in the same turn, nor can he get Boons. He can assault a unit and kill it, but when the combat is done he will be standing alone and hit on standard Ballistic Skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
Ye that's what those Deathwing knights are for just drop in with Belial pop smite mode on my initiative step and its hammer time if I'm lucky and out of 9 knights no one died then he will get 18 str 10 ap 1 melee concussive attacks :3 the thing is he might be able to wipe Belial with knights before I can hit him coz he has the item that makes all area within 12 " difficult terrain or dangerous for deep striking.
The ability that makes all terrain difficult and dangerous only activates after he's killed a Character beforehand. You can hit a Daemon Prince with that many Smite attacks, but honestly, two Knights can easily take a Daemon Prince at their Initiative step. Wiping 9 Knights and Belial is extraordinarily difficult - I'd like to know how your opponent can kill 10 T5, 2+/3++ models in a turn. I think that 5 Knights is more than enough to deal with a Prince - he hits first with an average of 8 attacks, which kills slightly under 1 Knight. They declare Smite, and unless you get extraordinarily bad rolls, 6 Str10 AP1 attacks net 3 hits, 2.5 wounds, and that equates to far more than the 1 wound you need to kill him.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
falcoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,384
Reputation: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
The ability that makes all terrain difficult and dangerous only activates after he's killed a Character beforehand. You can hit a Daemon Prince with that many Smite attacks, but honestly, two Knights can easily take a Daemon Prince at their Initiative step. Wiping 9 Knights and Belial is extraordinarily difficult - I'd like to know how your opponent can kill 10 T5, 2+/3++ models in a turn. I think that 5 Knights is more than enough to deal with a Prince - he hits first with an average of 8 attacks, which kills slightly under 1 Knight. They declare Smite, and unless you get extraordinarily bad rolls, 6 Str10 AP1 attacks net 3 hits, 2.5 wounds, and that equates to far more than the 1 wound you need to kill him.
^This

Knights are brutal when they smite against normal guys, because its chaos, if the knights do somehow fail to kill the prince they become AP3 against chaos anyway so will finish him off next turn.

You also mention a mace that explodes, would you care to explain this as I don't think there is such a weapon?

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
falcoso is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-13, 09:38 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
You also mention a mace that explodes, would you care to explain this as I don't think there is such a weapon?
Black Mace - when you wound/kill somebody, they take a Toughness test at the end of combat. If they fail it, they get instakilled and everyone within 3" does the same thing.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome